• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Faded side cased

kaibil1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi to all, I have about a year with the Sw-Motech Aero ABS sidecases.....they are fading and look kind of purple. Before I buy a new set of hard cases, I wanted to know if there is a way to try to restore them and make them look black again.

Thank you for your help in advance :D

I meant faded sidecases

Those are ABS plastic with a nylon laminate on top which means the nylon is fading. Back to Black might work on it. I’ve used it on bumpers, window trim, mirrors, etc but you will have to reapply frequently. Wondering if a fabric dye or paint would work and last longer since it is nylon. Might try contacting Twisted Throttle and see what they have to say.

I just looked these up. If it's the outside that's fading, it's the ballistic nylon. I just found this on painting nylon. I'm a painter (for all my short life) and have never painted nylon. I got this off a kayak site - not that that matters much except that they use good materials.

I would not use the back to black and then try to paint it without first cleaning it REAL good.

The main issue with any coating/skin combination is whether the coating is as flexible as the fabric. If it's not, the coating will eventually relieve the stress by cracking or delaminating. Nylon stretches about 300%, The secondary issue is whether the coating you choose will stick to your fabric. If it doesn't you're looking at eventual (and inevitable) delamination.

So you have two choices- match your coating to your fabric, or your fabric to you coating. The top choice for nylon (or anything for that matter) is Coelan Marine Coating, which flexes 300% and sticks very well to nylon.

I'll add, this coating is a one-part paint (no catalyst) which makes it very easy to use.

Last edited:
Back