• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Extreme Farkling - Road Test!

I'm thinking of adding handguards only for cold weather wind protection, I'm fairly wide in the shoulders and was hoping the handguards will help there, I read where you mention they help, are they directing the wind in an efficient manor away from you?

Great job, seems we have the same bikes, I keep an 03 R1150R at my N. Carolina headquarters and the NCX at the western front, I will be headed east to visit my beemer this thursday for 1 week of chilly riding. The weather we're having here right now in Az is like late spring back east, there will be days in jan. and feb. when the temps will dip down into the bone chilling 50's.

Great job, seems we have the same bikes, I keep an 03 R1150R at my N. Carolina headquarters and the NCX at the western front, I will be headed east to visit my beemer this thursday for 1 week of chilly riding. The weather we're having here right now in Az is like late spring back east, there will be days in jan. and feb. when the temps will dip down into the bone chilling 50's.

Where in NC?

That is the epitome of a "Custom" bike. I love it all, but I'm especially interested in the front suspension. Would you mind "Ball-Parking" the cost of the front end for us Lee?

The net invoice was $483.12 plus $26.85 freight. I got a 20% discount of $94.78 for being the first NC, so I paid them $415.19

Thanks Lee,

I've really enjoyed following your Extreme Farkle posts and I'm glad it's finally back on the road.

Well done, you're an inspiration.

Stay safe.

Dave

I've got those same rigid light sitting in the garage. What mounts did you use. I figured I mount them to the givi engine guards since it looks like the Honda light bar and give won't both fit. I just want to avoid the lights smashing the radiator if the bike gets dropped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! What more can I say. Well done and thanks for sharing. Should your bike come past this side of the pond and I see you, I'm on a white one! Enjoy and go safe. Thanks for sharing!

I've got those same rigid light sitting in the garage. What mounts did you use. I figured I mount them to the givi engine guards since it looks like the Honda light bar and give won't both fit. I just want to avoid the lights smashing the radiator if the bike gets dropped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The mounts are home-made from UHMW polyethylene and acrylic. There is a thread on it titled "Extreme Farkling - Gone with the Wind"

Lee

A second day update. I spent some quality time with the bike today. I searched out the most gnarly unpaved road I could find replete with ruts and washouts, big gravel, and lots of hills. I was running it at 45 mph. I kept expecting to get hit in the gut by the bad ruts as they came along, but it never did. This same road shook my teeth out the last time I rode it on the NC. I can say that within the limits of ground clearance and assuming the eventual availability of a bash plate, that this can be an adventure bike. The Metz M8's didn't handle things too well but I am used to sliding both ends and we didn't go down. I will try the Pirelli MT60R's next and eventually the Conti TKC80s.

I got the bars and controls adjusted, and I very much like the handlebars / risers / hand guards

I think the front brake is going to end up being a very big improvement. I have been taking it easy in order to properly break in the new pads. I'll do some threshold tests with the brakes after I get 200 miles on them.

"IRON BUTT" ? Then why all the mods to make it comfy? :p. may I know what is the seat cushion u got there? Yea I am interested in upgrading my front forks too. My shoulders felt heavy rebound whenever bike goes thru bumps. how shall i fix it? What the cheapest way to upgrade the front fork? Also how is the alarm? Can u avoid activating it via the kill switch? Really appreciate yr efforts....super cool mods.

"IRON BUTT" ? Then why all the mods to make it comfy? :p. may I know what is the seat cushion u got there? Yea I am interested in upgrading my front forks too. My shoulders felt heavy rebound whenever bike goes thru bumps. how shall i fix it? What the cheapest way to upgrade the front fork? Also how is the alarm? Can u avoid activating it via the kill switch? Really appreciate yr efforts....super cool mods.

If you are going to ride 1,000 miles per day, you want it comfy. Otherwise, it would be the DUMB BUTT ASSOCIATION. The seat cushion is not a cushion. It is a beaded seat pad made of ceramic beads. Most of them are wooden beads, but the ceramic ones are more weather resistant. The heavy rebound is the inability of the stock fork to respond to fast changes. With only a single level of compression damping, when the fork moves fast, the hydraulic pressure builds so high in the damping port, that the fork essentially quits moving. What is needed are separate high and low speed damping systems as are provided by the Gold Valve cartridge emulators that I had installed in my front forks. When the fork responds to a fast change and the pressure builds high enough, it opens a spring-loaded second valve that lets the fluid keep flowing. With slow changes, the valve is closed and the primary port does the damping. There is no single port size and oil weight that will work for the full range of suspension loads.

The alarm is puny, but yes, the kill switch will eliminate the need to cycle the key switch with the brake on. I have also found that you can cycle teh key switch with the high beams on and get the same result.

Last edited:
Beemer, how close are the handguards to the windscreen? Do they touch when the handlebar is top-right or top-left? Your Givi screen is in the upper or lower possition?

I really love the back off mud flap, and probably it helps with the mud and spray

Back