• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Easy handlebar weight removal without removing hand grips

GgarryP

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wanted to install Acerbis hand guards and needed to remove the handlebar weights. There are several good posts here about that but they require removing the hand grips. This site was helpful because it had great photos. But I can't easily remove or roll back the hand grips since I have heated grips installed by the previous owner. Some have resorted to more destructive means to get the internal weights out.

Here is a photo from the site linked above showing the internal weight with the spring clip. You can see the retaining tabs on the top and bottom and the outer tabs on the end.
Internal Weight Spring Clip.jpg

The internal weight is held in place by the spring clip with three pairs of tabs. One pair of tabs engage a groove in the weight. The outer tabs catch the end of the handlebar tube and prevent the weight from going too far. The third pair of tabs (retaining tabs) spring into small holes in the handlebar to lock the weight in place. Normally, by removing the grips, these tabs can be pressed in and the weight pulled out.

Caution - Safety glasses recommended.

After studying the design of the retaining tabs that hold the internal weights I came up with a devious plan. After removing the outer weights, I used a blunt shaft (3/8" socket extension) and mallet to drive the weight further into the handlebar by about 1/4". No further is needed. Note - One or both of the outer tabs may break off.

By pushing the clip further into the handlebar, the locking tabs were squeezed flat and disengaged with the holes in the handlebar. I then used a flat screwdriver to rotate the clip just enough so the tabs don't line up with the holes in the handlebar. In one case I could twist the screwdriver between the clip and the weight to move the clip. On the other bar I had to angle the screwdriver and tap it against one of the outer tabs to persuade the clip to rotate.

I then threaded the screw from the outer weight into the internal weight as far as I could. Make sure you have good thread engagement to prevent damage. I placed a pair of vice grips (or a wrench) around the screw shaft just under the head and tapped with a mallet. It took only a few moderate whacks and a little persuasion to slide the internal weights out. Once I knew it would work it took less than five minutes.

I hope this helps some of you.

Ingenius! Simple, and effective.:D

For my Acerbis (knock offs, I think) hand guards, I wanted to retain the stock bar end weights, so I just slightly modified the hand guard supplied aluminum inserts, to mate with Honda's half moon receiver end sides.

Has anyone noticed any difference with the weights out of the handlebars( such as more vibration)

I have 2 2012 NCs. Both have hand guards but different brands. One with stock bars and weights. One with aftermarket Fat bars and no weights. The one with the Fat bar vibrates more. I need to find a way to restore or add weights. Could be the bars or could be the lack of weights.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed any difference with the weights out of the handlebars( such as more vibration)
I took the OEM weights out and installed the weights that came with the handguard. I rode a few miles without gloves to see how much of wind is being deflected. I could not feel any difference in vibration, even without gloves.

I notice a small increase in vibration. Maybe 10% at the most. I'm not sensitive to it so I adapt. I pull the weights out in the Fall for my hand guards and put them back in when I take the hand guards off in the Spring.

I have 2 2012 NCs. Both have hand guards but different brands. One with stock bars and weights. One with aftermarket Fat bars and no weights. The one with the Fat bar vibrates more. I need to find a way to restore or add weights. Could be the bars or could be the lack of weights.
I'm guessing the fat bars are much stiffer and transmit vibration better than the more flexible stock bars. Weights might not help much.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing the fat bars are much stiffer and transmit vibration better than the more flexible stock bars. Weights might not help much.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'll bet you're right. In fact, they seem to amplify vibration. If I touch the handlebar mount or triple tree, it's more calm than the bar ends.

The Fat bar was installed by the PO. I have since acquired a stock handlebar and might change it out some day.

Back