• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Diagnosing the leak

OK... got my NC back from the mechanic's shop today...

They had to cut the existing bolt in two to get it out. They loosened the engine mounts to give more "wiggle" room, but that was not enough.
The bolt they put in is long enough to securely engage the engine block threads but slightly shorter...and even then it was a tight fit.

So ... that's it. The bolt was too long.
I will try replacing it again in when next the coolant pump fails. I actually stand a chance of doing it with the new (shorter) bolt in place.
Has anyone else been able to remove that bolt without cutting nor removing the engine mounts? I'm wondering if this one was a fluke of the wrong length bolt that was used during engine assembly at the factory?

If there is a pattern of needing to cut and replace, I may do it before needing to do it in an uncomfortable place in the future.

Ray

I just checked the service manual- Honda says a small amount of leakage from the weep hole is 'normal' and to replace when there's 'continuous leakage' while the engine's operating (kid you not). Based on that, I wouldn't replace the water pump 'in the field'. I'd ride it home (if the pump was spinning), refilling as required.
According to an early thread that bolt has always been a problem: first complaint...unfortunately...

Wow Strat, read through this entire thread and it reads like a horror story. I am a diy er and I will just try to keep my mileage down so I never have to go through this. ;)I'm only at 8500 miles so hopefully have a way to go. I did change the oil and adjust the valves at 8k and that went smoothly thank God.

Wow Strat, read through this entire thread and it reads like a horror story. I am a diy er and I will just try to keep my mileage down so I never have to go through this. ;)I'm only at 8500 miles so hopefully have a way to go. I did change the oil and adjust the valves at 8k and that went smoothly thank God.

I wouldn't keep the mileage down...I know this repair didn't go well but my goal is 200,000 miles, and after that 300,000.
Ride until the the wheels fall off!

I wouldn't keep the mileage down...I know this repair didn't go well but my goal is 200,000 miles, and after that 300,000.
Ride until the the wheels fall off!

ha, I was just kidding. I ride whenever I can. thinking of taking A ROAD TRIP TO sOUTH fl, 600 miles each way, as soon as it cools a bit.

Has anyone else been able to remove that bolt without cutting nor removing the engine mounts? I'm wondering if this one was a fluke of the wrong length bolt that was used during engine assembly at the factory?

If there is a pattern of needing to cut and replace, I may do it before needing to do it in an uncomfortable place in the future.

Ray

Yes, mine does...

HI ALL,

My water pump is leaking a tiny drop of oil, HarveyM, in your post you stated:

"I just checked the service manual- Honda says a small amount of leakage from the weep hole is 'normal' and to replace when there's 'continuous leakage' while the engine's operating (kid you not). Based on that, I wouldn't replace the water pump 'in the field'. I'd ride it home (if the pump was spinning), refilling as required.
According to an early thread that bolt has always been a problem: first complaint...unfortunately..."

Can you please tell me, what kind of occasional leak here is normal? Coolant or OIL or BOTH? Mine is very tiny drop of oil, when it is a operating temperature.

I saw the horror stories of the Water Pump EVIL bolt and I'll be taking it in eventually, but I probably will wait first to see if it goes away with the warmer weather.

Thanks.

rmezrl- I would take yours to the dealer and have them check it. That way you have the problem on record while you have warranty. Even if they say it's normal, if there is a problem down the road you can argue it occurred during the warranty period.

HI ALL,

My water pump is leaking a tiny drop of oil, HarveyM, in your post you stated:

"I just checked the service manual- Honda says a small amount of leakage from the weep hole is 'normal' and to replace when there's 'continuous leakage' while the engine's operating (kid you not). Based on that, I wouldn't replace the water pump 'in the field'. I'd ride it home (if the pump was spinning), refilling as required.
According to an early thread that bolt has always been a problem: first complaint...unfortunately..."

Can you please tell me, what kind of occasional leak here is normal? Coolant or OIL or BOTH? Mine is very tiny drop of oil, when it is a operating temperature.

I saw the horror stories of the Water Pump EVIL bolt and I'll be taking it in eventually, but I probably will wait first to see if it goes away with the warmer weather.

Thanks.

When the manual states that a small amount of leakage from the weep hole is normal, it refers to coolant, not oil. Water pumps in general, not just on the NC, and not just on motorcycles, are often designed with the weep hole (exit path) just beyond the seal that contains the coolant. Weep holes are for coolant, not oil.

A photo of an NC pump that you posted earlier in another thread, but is now deleted, was the pump on my bike that was dripping coolant last winter (actually making a little puddle on the floor). I chalked it up to seal shrinkage in cold weather storage and chose to do nothing but monitor it. Sure enough, when warm weather returned it has not leaked a drop in several thousand miles. But again, this is coolant from the weep hole, not the apparent oil leak you have, perhaps from a different seal or bolt.

Oil leaks are not normal, but a very minor leak is just an annoyance, not a threat to engine operation or reliability.

Last edited:
I purchased the extended warranty, worth the price and I'll be set until 2020. I'll take it in eventually.

Hello,
I ended up taking my bike in for an oil leak from behind the water pump and I am suspecting the O RING to the engine crankcase being the issue, however they need to get a whole pump assembly simply because apparently in CANADA they are on back order for the gaskets that would now need to be replaced from pulling the water pump cover apart during the weird removal process on the NC's.

My question is: does anyone know if the full kit assembly part # 19200-MGS-D30 comes with the O-RING that goes right onto the engine part??? I do not trust my mechanic shop ONE bit and I want to make sure I have all the parts needed. I would imagine the internal gaskets and the plate would come with the KIT but does anyone know about the external O-RING to the engine case? I think this is the part I am having leaking to begin with.

Thank you.

Basically this is the information and answer I need, another user posted this asking Stratturner but there was never a reply:

Hey strat I would dearly love to be wrong if it spared you an ounce of the frustration I know you are going through...

Have you taken the cover off the new pump you bought? It's not one piece. There is the cover, (and hopefully the "missing" perimeter internal o-ring, + the plate gasket) and the pump itself. The water pump as it is, will not look like it does compared to the one on the bike, because it cannot be removed with the cover in place. If you are going by how bolts go through the new part in your hand, and try to apply that logic to the part to be removed, it will give you a false visualization of the removal process.

I never replied to this because I handed it off to my mechanic.
As Charlie Brown once said. ..
"Everything I touch gets ruined."

I do not trust my mechanic shop ONE bit and I want to make sure I have all the parts needed.

Thank you.

I travel further to get to a shop I trust. Why not check around for a shop with a good rep? Any Honda dealership can do the repairs under warranty.

Back