• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Centerstand trick..

Forgot to ask- is this the Honda stand, or an after market (SW Motech) type?

Yes to spring orientation.

When you say: "at the muffler" you do mean near the bolt where the muffler bracket attaches to the frame, right?

Is this video in this thread? (lol forgive me if it is, I'm old and confused...) Does it help you?

Google Image Result for http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/pHuDwc7kKfg/maxresdefault.jpg

And life really is much easier if you attach the spring(s) to the centre stand and the frame bolt first, and then simply lever the stand into place, hold it there and slide the retaining axle in. No spring pullers or vice grips or extra set of hands required.

Last edited:
I just installed my center stand over last weekend. Mine has a lot of play and dangles , scraping the ground occasionally, does any one have some insight how to get more spring tension? I am guessing it should not be that loose, but both hooks/springs are in place.

Are you sure that the hook from the thicker spring is actually hooked to the bolt on the bike frame? Assuming that everything was installed correctly it would seem this would only occur if tension were being provided only by the smaller spring.

I just installed my center stand over last weekend. Mine has a lot of play and dangles , scraping the ground occasionally, does any one have some insight how to get more spring tension? I am guessing it should not be that loose, but both hooks/springs are in place.

If you could take a picture of the springs and where you have them hooked that would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I somehow missed this thread. I used a trucker's hitch between the spring and the axle. Still had to pull like hell, on one spring at a time. One thing I figured out though, if you thread the rope loop through the steel loop on the stand, the rope will pull the spring into position. Hopefully this crude drawing explains it.

View attachment 9493

EDIT: added a top view

Thanks for the tip, I used the exact same way to get the spring into position today. Did u guys actually use brute force to push the bike forward? What I did was to turn the engine on, and let the engine do the work, instead of pushing. Also, I did not loosen the exhaust bolt. Just in case anyone wants to know

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, I used the exact same way to get the spring into position today. Did u guys actually use brute force to push the bike forward? What I did was to turn the engine on, and let the engine do the work, instead of pushing. Also, I did not loosen the exhaust bolt. Just in case anyone wants to know

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Using the engine is kind of over kill for the job. Dangerous too if you use a little too much throttle. But glad to hear it worked out okay for you.

I never would have gotten the spring hooked without this thread. Thanks to the original poster, the person who put up the Youtube link, and the person who did the diagram showing you how to route the wire through the loop on the stand so it pulls the spring right onto the loop. My first try involved a strap and some zip ties on the spring hooks. They broke. I didn't have thick enough wire, so I used some parachute type cord. I made a loop with the cord attached to the strap. Pulled the spring right on. When I was pushing the X forward I heard a clinking sound and assumed something had gone wrong. Wrong! worked perfectly.

I never would have gotten the spring hooked without this thread. Thanks to the original poster, the person who put up the Youtube link, and the person who did the diagram showing you how to route the wire through the loop on the stand so it pulls the spring right onto the loop. My first try involved a strap and some zip ties on the spring hooks. They broke. I didn't have thick enough wire, so I used some parachute type cord. I made a loop with the cord attached to the strap. Pulled the spring right on. When I was pushing the X forward I heard a clinking sound and assumed something had gone wrong. Wrong! worked perfectly.
The method you used is sooooo easy, you wonder why so many others struggle with Rube Goldberg methods?
I guess they relish a challenge?

I need to put a longer sidestand on my DRZ400SM that I converted to larger dirt wheels. I am going to try and adapt the same method, although it looks a lot easier to do on the dr.

Couple days ago I installed the OEM centerstand on a std NCX. In my kit the small diameter spring is about 10mm longer than the big spring, this caused problems. It seemed impossible to install the stand using the "torque" method where you put the springs on the perches and lever the stand into position, installing the pivot rod. I could do that but the big spring would not stay on at the frame perch in the process. Very frustrating! I finally did the spoke pull method getting my wife involved to help. I've done this method before and never found it a one man procedure. BTW, I think the mushroom perch bolt should have larger diameter retaining flange.

The first attempt with the lever method I assumed all stayed put. But as soon as I tried it I knew one of the springs must have slipped off - the stand retracted but barely - it would have bounced all over riding. Sure enough the big spring was off at the frame perch - this sounds like Narce's situation. You have to really look in there to see around the exhaust pipe - at first glance I was wondering what was wrong because the small spring holds everything in position.

I have done this trick on 4 different bikes,all by myself and the NC was the easiest.as a matter a fact I never even stood up,I was sitting on the ground on the right side and just rolled the bike forward and then just rested the bike back down on the kickstand .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw this post now, have installed my centerstand two weeks ago with the same technique ;)
But I admit it was 1h before I realise no normal human power can pull the springs to place. Then step back, calm down, give it a little thinking and 5 min after centerstand in place. Then followed to the GIVI engine crash bars.

Engineer heads working eh eh eh

Back