• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

CBR600 Shock

on what bike?

On my NC700. I took them back out and returned them per their return policy. Then waited 3 weeks and called numerous times and never got my money back. Had to dispute the charge with my bank.

The downside to the RT gold valve emulators is the install isn't reversible, as you drill out your damping rod. At least with the Ricors you can try them and if you don't like them, remove them and go back to stock.

The downside to the RT gold valve emulators is the install isn't reversible, as you drill out your damping rod. At least with the Ricors you can try them and if you don't like them, remove them and go back to stock.

True, but the damper rods sell for $23.60 each, so the loss is not great if you just replaced them to do a reversal.

Just my 2 cents, for someone like me the CBR600F shock is a good solution but the ride height reduction is a show stopper.

Thus my search lead me to this.

What do you think guys?

I actually wanted mine lower so this fixes that issue without having to use aftermarket dog-bones. The biggest difference is there is so much less sag on the F4i shock than the stock. it's also much less jarring on big hits on the rear, now i have to do something about the front eventually.

Okay, just an update for people:

I put the 1.05kg Ohlins spring (listed above) on the bike, rather than the 1.11 or 1.07. The 1.05kg was just barely able to get within spec of rider sag and free sag. In short, the 1.05kg is still too light for a 185lb rider.

If you put the Aprilia Tuono shock on, go with a 1.11kg Ohlins spring (part # is above in the other post) and you will have more room to adjust the preload in the back. Right now mine is fine, but it is literally at the maximum amount of preload I prefer, and with the minimum amount of free sag (how much the bike squats under its own weight, with no rider), that is acceptable. For me its fine, but if I gain 10lbs it won't be. So yeah, go with the 1.11kg spring.

I wonder how the 1.11 spring will perform with a 185lbs rider and 50lbs of luggage. :confused:

Here's the thing, whenever you add huge amounts of weight (like an extra passenger or luggage), you are going to upset the "balance" of the bike; So unless you're willing to reset the sag each and every time you add weight, or fuel, or a friend, or luggage, it's always going to be a compromise. I don't know anyone who gets on their bike and re-measures sag when they add a passenger, or luggage. Personally, when I have a passenger, I know the rear of the bike is squatting more than it was before I had a passenger and I simply ride a little more carefully and slowly. No difference here.

Best you can do is set the bike for how you ride it most often, and realize that the handling characteristics are going to change if you deviate from that drastically in one direction or the other. It's a street bike, not a race bike, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I do recommend the 1.11kg spring though. If my calculations are correct, that should put me about 60% through the adjustment range on the preload for the same settings I have now. That seems about "perfect" for me.

I do set sag for my added weight. When I go on my anual trip I load the bike up then set sag for the weight. I have the loaded and unloaded measurements of the shock recorded so I can quickly return to where I want. Its the reason I wanted an adjustable shock. Just woundering if a 1.11 spring will be enough for my weight (185) and gear (50)?

What we need to know is what is the rating for the spring on the NC shock. Know this and you can select the correct spring for your situation.

Last edited:
This winter I'm going to removed the NC shock and have the spring rate determined then buy the correct spring for the Tuono shock.

If someone knows the NC spring rate this would be very helpfull.

This winter I'm going to removed the NC shock and have the spring rate determined then buy the correct spring for the Tuono shock.

If someone knows the NC spring rate this would be very helpfull.

I've looked all over and can't find the stock rate.

I have a 1.15kg spring coming, should be here Thursday, so I'll report back then.

I live not all that far from racetech, maybe I could take them the stock spring to measure.

UPDATE: They e-mailed me back, 14.9kg/mm is the stock spring. The F4i is 14.2, so it must just have more preload adjustment.

Last edited:
So, I got the new spring installed. While it was off, I measured the stroke and travel.

The f4i shock has ~37mm of stroke, maybe a bit more when the bottom out bumper is compressed, it doesn't seat that easily

With the f4i shock springless, I measured 138mm / 5.43" of travel on the rear wheel. I guess my calculations were about right. I was worried i had might have lost more travel than I thought.

So, with the new 15.2kg spring on, I'm now at 33% 47mm sag with preload at the softest setting instead of the firmest. Now i've got room to adjust for cargo or a passenger.

Just gotta test ride it now!

Back