• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Building toy hauler/camper

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In an effort to make getting to good riding areas (such as the Smoky Mountains area) more comfortable and accessible, I explored several options: buying property, renting a mini warehouse, renting a permanent campsite, etc. I explored buying a toy hauler camping trailer, but I'm already max'd out on storage space at home. Inspired by some modified cargo trailers I saw last spring at KSL, I realized the cargo trailer I already owned was the best solution for now.

The trailer is a 6x12 (feet) enclosed motorcycle hauler/cargo trailer I bought around 2004 to haul my Goldwing behind my motorhome. You might ask why I don't just use the motorhome to live in, but it's just too big to justify for one person travel and is limited in places it can get to. To make this trailer suitable for living space, I considered the top priorities:
RV type door latch.
Windows for light and ventilation
Powered roof vent for cooling
Awning
Some cabinetry
A refrigerator (12v Coleman thermoelectric)
120v/12v RV power center/battery charger
Tongue storage box for battery and trailer stuff
Microwave oven, dorm room size.
Interior and exterior AC outlets
Interior and exterior LED lighting
Portable heater
18 inch high inflatable bed with integral air pump
Small foldable table(s)

I have secured all of these items and about 2/3 of them are installed. Over the winter I hope to complete most of it.

An option I have reserved for the future is a roof mounted air conditioner. I'd like to omit it if possible because it adds 90 pound weight and it's rather expensive. In weather requiring AC, I don't usually ride anyway.

I need to to add some vinyl graphics to the exterior because the plain grey is pretty ugly.

I have to manage the weight of the trailer to keep it to under 3000 pounds loaded. Since it still needs to haul a 900 pound Goldwing behind the motorhome, I'm limited to 2100 pounds for the trailer minus the motorcycle. I weighed the trailer overall and the tongue weight at a grain elevator scale and will monitor it as I progress.

Obviously pictures would be nice, and I'll post some more when the project is near completion. You can also Google mini toy hauler and you'll see examples of other people's similar projects.

Attachments

• IMG_2867.jpg
    IMG_2867.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
There is a website and forum out there called, "Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers" mainly for teardrops but they have a section on cargo trailer conversions. Pretty amazing the ideas people come up with. Lots great ideas for toy haulers similar to what you have, some great ideas for a/c as well, using simple $100 or less window units. Most rooftop rv units are way larger than needed for the application.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Seeing the picture in other thread tweaked my interest. I already have a 5x10 trailer so would be looking at similar mods to get there low cost. Door latch and powered vent would get me in business with more later. Thanks for sharing.

There is a website and forum out there called, "Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers" mainly for teardrops but they have a section on cargo trailer conversions. Pretty amazing the ideas people come up with. Lots great ideas for toy haulers similar to what you have, some great ideas for a/c as well, using simple $100 or less window units. Most rooftop rv units are way larger than needed for the application.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Agreed. Smallest rooftop RV AC available is 9000 BTU and $800. Not that I can't afford it, but it just seems like overkill for 72 sq ft of living space. I may investigate a 5000 BTU wall mount unit. I reserved a circuit breaker for it in my power panel.

I have been thinking of possibly doing the same with a cargo trailer. A wrap made to look like a small camper might make it blend in more at campgrounds.

I saw this trailer that has a fold-out bed, made by RC Trailers, Inc. Keeps you from having to set up inside the trailer all the time.

Outside (Medium).jpg Inside-Bed (Medium).jpg

:eek: Oh man, I'm completely envious! What a great idea, I'd never really thought of a "mini" toy hauler type of deal in my lifelong daydream to somehow encompass my personal secret wish to have my motorcycle along with me, while living/travelling in a van or small RV.

Nice! Looking forward to more and more details and updates! :D

Seen several people do this here in AR. I know one guy spent something like 2-3K for the rooftop AC/heater. My jaw dropped at that!

So have been poking around several RV forums. Saw where some, instead of the 3rd AC in the toyhauler garage, have used 120v portable AC units. I didn't know they existed. They just need an exhaust hole to the outside. I don't know the cost on them.

The single hose portable air conditioners pull a vacuum in the room they are in and depend on the room leaking outside air into it to work. If you have to use one of these portable units spend the extra money and get one with two hoses.

Portable A/C Units - Dual Hose vs Single Hose

For small trailers the little $100 window unit is probably enough if you don't mind a bump on the side somewhere.

The blogger cycle cruza did a series converting a van to sleep in and carry his motorcycle.

Back