• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Battery Tender

+1 on the Optimate. Had a Battery Tender Jr for a while but got an Optimate for Xmas and it's great. I've got a Mighty Max lead acid battery in my 2015 DCT at this point.

I have an Optimate also. The YTZ14S battery in my X-Adv requires it on a regular basis because of the current draw of the tracker that the Insurance company forced upon me. One of its benefits is that (once one figures out the lighting sequence) it indicates the overall condition of the battery. It notified me recently that while my Strom battery was functioning fine, it was definitely declining. The voltmeter also confirmed that.

Another recommendation for a battery charger/tender would be CTEK brand. I've been using their chargers for my cars and motorcycles for years and highly recommend them. It's a Swedish company, so it may be more widely known in Europe, but they also have US online store and also available on amazon. It's fully automatic, high quality and works as a charger or tender, depending on the state of your battery. I usually just leave my bike connected over the winter and it does the rest.

I've used battery tenders on all my rides including my current 2023 NC750x. I am changing whether I'm going to leave it constantly plugged in like prior rides. Batteries chargers are like discussing oil, lots of opinions out there. I'm not going to leave my new bike constantly plugged in. From research, batteries need to be "cycled" to keep them fresh. Topping off a battery constantly "might" do more harm than good. Even my cell phone company, device manufacturers and employees are telling people not to constantly charge any device. They recommend charging it and then unplugging it. My new phone even has a "battery saver mode" that keeps you from constantly charging it to the max. Yes, I know I'm talking about cell phones but is there that much of a difference? My 2019 Yamaha XMAX 300 was constantly plugged in when not in use, yet the battery died after just one year. Had other bikes with battery issues as well and all were "tendered". My NC will never be plugged in except if unridden more than a month, Honda says to do that in there manual so that's what I'm gonna do now. Only time will tell.
Did you route an external plug for the battery tender? Where did you route it? I just got a new 2023 NC750 and noticed the battery in on the rear side of the luggage compartment, where it seems like earlier versions of the 750 had the battery in the front side of the luggage compartment. Not sure of a good route to get the plug for an easy outside connection.

I have a 2021 which has the rear battery and routed my wire thru a hole I drilled in the battery access cover. I pop the frunk lid and plug it into my tender. When unplugged I just drop the wire in the frunk and close the lid. I also use the tender wire to power my heated jacket liner in the winter

30FcsDxh.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Nice setup. I tried to route mine from the battery between the frunk and outer panel but the cable is a little tight. I like your idea much better. It looks like you added a nice rubber gromet in the hole. Do you recall where you got the gromet? Your name looks familiar from the CB1100 Forums. I just traded in my CB1100 for a new 750X

Thanks for the reply. Nice setup. I tried to route mine from the battery between the frunk and outer panel but the cable is a little tight. I like your idea much better. It looks like you added a nice rubber gromet in the hole. Do you recall where you got the gromet? Your name looks familiar from the CB1100 Forums. I just traded in my CB1100 for a new 750X
My 2023 has the battery in the rear of the frunk. Very easy to run the tender cable out under the body work to under the seat opening.
No holes needed in the cover.

Yes, the grommet came from Ace hardware

and yes, I am a moderator over on the CB 1100 forum. I still have my CB 1100 and still love it, but since it has 70,000 miles on it now, I only ride it ocassionally and to the rallies and use my NC for everyday transportation. I have 27,000 miles on my NC. If I had put all those miles on my CB it would be nearing 100,000 lol.

there is a small opening in the battery box that allows the SAE tender cable to be routed out the right side of the bike hidden just above the engine .
nothing to remove or drill and real clean.
i've taken some pictures but don't have the skills to post them.
i'll try working on that later.

pictures !
in picture 2 i hooked the battery tender to better show the pigtail.
(thank you to my wife for the lesson.)
Looks good. Locating the two pin SAE plug like that would be my preference. I did so on my CRF250 and in a similar way on my Goldwing.

On my NC I have an always-hot cig lighter power port inside the trunk. I just plug the charger into that port charger using an adapter. There is also a hot Powerlet port on the rear cowl that I use as a battery charger connection. That one I can use without leaving the frunk open.

Last edited:
Another recommendation for a battery charger/tender would be CTEK brand. I've been using their chargers for my cars and motorcycles for years and highly recommend them. It's a Swedish company, so it may be more widely known in Europe, but they also have US online store and also available on amazon. It's fully automatic, high quality and works as a charger or tender, depending on the state of your battery. I usually just leave my bike connected over the winter and it does the rest.
I second the recommendation of the CTEK line of battery charger/maintainers. I use them on autos, motos and power equipment and replacing batteries is a rare event for me these days. Just my 2 cents.

pictures !
in picture 2 i hooked the battery tender to better show the pigtail.
(thank you to my wife for the lesson.)
gary, could you tell me how you routed the SAE tender cable from the small opening in the battery box to it's location on the right side of the bike? My 18 inch cable appears to be too short, but it didn't seem to want to feed through that area. Did you have to remove anything to route the cable? Thanks

Hello, I have been using Deltran battery tenders for nearly 30 years. I've only had one give up the ghost in that period of time. I am currently experimenting with a C-Tek on my KTM, it seems to be working fine. With all the electronics on bikes these days a tender is a better idea than ever. While working at a large dealership doing deliveries I often recommended their use to our customers. If you are a weekend warrior plug your bike in at the end of riding, and it will be ready to go the next time you need it. If you are a daily rider, plug it in over night once a week to keep things tight. I currently have a bike, and a mower that are '17 models with the original battery in them. I live in an area with some hot summers. Hope that this helps.

gary, could you tell me how you routed the SAE tender cable from the small opening in the battery box to it's location on the right side of the bike? My 18 inch cable appears to be too short, but it didn't seem to want to feed through that area. Did you have to remove anything to route the cable? Thanks
no need to remove panels. there's a small opening on the right side of the battery box. you might try using a flashlight to locate it. i've since added a 2023 NC and did the same routing to it, so both my 2021 and my 2023 have the same hook up. 18 inches should be fine

Back