• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Battery Strap re-fitment

Dav2ison

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question regarding putting the elastic battery strap back on. I removed my battery in the fall and stored in the basement on a tender to make sure it didn't freeze. Today, fully charged I brought the battery back up and put it in my 2023 NC750X. I tried for more than an hour to re-install the elastic battery strap. Am I missing the trick to doing this? I've had multiple bikes over the years and none was the difficult. Can someone let me know the special technique to doing this? I've tried the top ring installed first, but couldn't attach the bottom, then I reversed and had the bottom installed first but can't manage to get the top one on. I guess if I was a foot tall and standing in the frunk I could see what I'm doing wrong. Right now I replaced the cover but the battery is just sitting there and I want it to be secure. HELP!

I literally fought the same battle you did this weekend - and took about as long to get it back together. I was able to do it once I found the right side of the “hook” the top strap connects to with my left hand and pulled and aimed the strap towards that with the left side edge of the buckle leading at a slight angle. Then try to slide the buckle left - it does have to go in a fair amount before you worry about latching on. Left here is meant when on the bike. I think you can go straight back and hook it - but I needed to slide it. Ultimately the strap will wind up over the middle of the battery, but I needed to get there at an angle - it isn’t a “C” shape but I got it on kinda treating it that way.

I have a piece of rubber that is around the relay/fuse panel - not sure if my dealer put that there or was factory - but it gets in the way and you want to go under that if you have that. Like an idiot I didn’t check to make sure the nuts were in the terminals so I had to take it out and out it back in - the second time took just a couple minutes so you will get the hang of it….

When I removed the maintenance lid for the battery on my 2024 NC, one of the five clips was about half the size of the others. It works but seems odd. Is this just on my bike (probably)? Looking at the cover it is the lower left clip.
Thanks YP400 for the response on replacing the battery strap, I'm sure I'll be dealing with that at some point.

When I removed the maintenance lid for the battery on my 2024 NC, one of the five clips was about half the size of the others. It works but seems odd. Is this just on my bike (probably)? Looking at the cover it is the lower left clip.
Thanks YP400 for the response on replacing the battery strap, I'm sure I'll be dealing with that at some point.
My clips appeared to be the same size - but I did have a sliver of a similar type of plastic in the bottom of my frunk….

I had a similar wrestling match trying to re-fit the battery rubber strap. I finished up cutting a 'V' notch into an old screwdriver, so that I could push the strap into approximate position with one hand, whilst tweaking it sideways into position with the other hand. It's a brutally awkward procedure that, on most bikes, is usually fairly straightforward. I guess it is a compromise that Honda had to make in shoehorning the battery into a very limited space.

Here is a suggestion for minimizing future battery strap hassle. Leave the battery in the bike. A fully charged lead acid battery freezes at -94 F (-70 C), according to several articles. I have seen it listed as below -50 F in other articles. To remove parasitc loads draining the battery, disconnect the negative wire(s) during storage. Battery self discharge reduces to a negligible amount in cold storage. The colder, the better. The key is to fully charge the battery before the storage period.

The battery in my 12 year old NC has been removed once, when I replaced it at 8 years age. The bike is stored where a winter temperature of -10F is not uncommon. The lowest I have encountered in my area is -25F, but that is rare. I don’t worry about the approximate 15 lead-acid batteries that are stored in or outside that unheated building. While I have only anedoctal data to support it, I believe storing batteries cold extends their life.
0F4501C7-4056-468E-A201-00A07C258F6B.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a question regarding putting the elastic battery strap back on. I removed my battery in the fall and stored in the basement on a tender to make sure it didn't freeze. Today, fully charged I brought the battery back up and put it in my 2023 NC750X. I tried for more than an hour to re-install the elastic battery strap. Am I missing the trick to doing this? I've had multiple bikes over the years and none was the difficult. Can someone let me know the special technique to doing this? I've tried the top ring installed first, but couldn't attach the bottom, then I reversed and had the bottom installed first but can't manage to get the top one on. I guess if I was a foot tall and standing in the frunk I could see what I'm doing wrong. Right now I replaced the cover but the battery is just sitting there and I want it to be secure. HELP!

See video at 5:40 (Note: not my video - Give credit to "Terry's Motorcycle Adventures on a NC750X" for posting the video on YouTube)

Last edited:
Thanks NC750-King. You made it look simple. I tried for more than an hour but wasn't able to attach the top clip. I'm going to give it another try today. Thanks again!
Ok, after struggling for another 30 minutes I decided to solve the issue with Velcro straps. I found some at ACE hardware, used the original rings and secured the battery. One strap and ring on top and one on bottom. The Velcro more than strong enough. No issues next time!

Back