• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Thunderbox and battery tender

Dawn Treader

Reaction score
Visit site
Good afternoon! I want to add a harness for heated gear, a usb port, and two camera dash cam. I'm not concerned with the power draw, but I don't want that mess of cables tied in straight to the battery. Hence the thunderbox. My question is, do I have to hook a battery tender up separately, or can I wire it into the thunderbox too? I have a 2012 NC700X.

I did search the board before posting, but nothing comes up in any combination of thunderbox and battery tender search I could think of.

Probably to the battery but you would need the white wire on the thunderbox to be connected to a trigger wire or back to the thunderbox terminal, which opens all the circuits to the connected devices. I think if you were installing it in automatic mode, white wire not connected, it would close the circuit and power the attached devices when a charger is connected.

Best to wire a charger pigtail direct to battery IMO.
I also use my pigtail to run accessories when bike engine not running, e.g. phone charger

Last edited:
Right now I'm thinking about using the battery tender plug to power a switched USB mounted to my handlebar, since I won't be using both functions at once. Adding the dashcam to what I have now would mean 3 things directly to the battery. See how that works, then decide on the Thunderbox later.

Right now I'm thinking about using the battery tender plug to power a switched USB mounted to my handlebar, since I won't be using both functions at once. Adding the dashcam to what I have now would mean 3 things directly to the battery. See how that works, then decide on the Thunderbox later.
I am not by any means questioning your approach as it will certainly work. But I think your idea of a relayed distribution box is more desirable for many different reasons. THey are all easy to install once you identify your trigger wire. You can build one for about ten bucks or buy one, like Thunderbox or Fuzeblock. I purchase mine on sale.

I know the Fuzeblock product power flow can be bidirectional as it uses an electromechanical relay, and you can select outputs to be switched or unswitched. I am not familar with Thunderbox design, but if you want to charge the battery through one of the Thunderbox outputs, be sure current can flow both directions through the Box.

I would want the 2 pin SAE battery tender cable wired direct to the battery. If the cable size is sufficient, you can also use the connector for higher current loads such as a portable air compressor for emergency tire inflation.

Back