• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Attaching Oxford grips to sub harness in NC700S

omegote

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, I have an NC700SA with the original 12V socket.

I've just ordered the Oxford Premium heated grips, and while they arrive I was wondering how to attach the grips to the sub harness, so they shut down automatically with the motorbike.

I've been reading a lot, this forum and others, and I have a couple of questions:
  • Is the accessory harnes of the NC700S the same as the X ? It doesn't seem so, and pretty much every post I found is about the X...
  • The conector that I should attach to the grips, does it have an official name or something? I've read they're manufactured by Hitachi. Should it be male or female?
    XYfeA90.jpg
  • If you own the Oxford premium grips, they seem to have some system to autodetect whether the motorcycle is on by feeling the vibration, turning itself off automatically after a couple of minutes. I haven't tried that yet. Do you know if it's reliable?

Thanks

I have the Oxfords premium and they shut off by monitoring battery voltage. If the voltage drops to low they turn off. This is something you don't have to worry about if your wiring to the accessory harness. As for h connector I just found a good waterproof connector and wired the female side to the accessory harness and the male side to the Oxfords.

I have the Oxfords premium and they shut off by monitoring battery voltage. If the voltage drops to low they turn off. This is something you don't have to worry about if your wiring to the accessory harness. As for h connector I just found a good waterproof connector and wired the female side to the accessory harness and the male side to the Oxfords.
They shut off when voltage drops, but how far does it have to drop before they shut off? I had Oxford heated grips on another bike a few years ago and this feature failed to keep me from getting stranded. They shut off before battery totally drained so didn't ruin the battery, but did not leave enough to start the bike. I rewired through a relay to keep from happening again. Also if usig the heated grips it is probably cold outside further reducing the power available in the cold battery.

I strongly recommend against relying on this feature to ensure you have power to start the bike later. Way to easy to forget to turn the grips off.

It is possible Oxford has improved the technology, but if you intend to trust it try it in a safe environment first. Leave them on at home for a few hours then see if the bike starts. Have a charger available to recharge the battery when it doesn't have the juice to start the engine.

That's exactly my thought, I don't trust that system, and given I already have the relay and sub harness system, guess I could make use of it. The problem is the connector... Seems rather hard to find.

Yes, if you use the Accessory Harness, whether the Oxford auto shutoff feature actually works is irrelevant.

The connectors that exactly match the harness for the X are seen here: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/3146-corresponding-connectors.html. I used them and they worked perfectly. The accessory harness plugs into the "6P connector". Although the connector location and pinout of the 6P connector on the S is different that the X, I don't see any reason why Honda would not have used the same style connectors.

BTW, I also have the Oxford grips connected to the accessory harness and the system works great.

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents. If you wire it to the accessory harness it's a good idea to use an inline fuse but it's a better idea to wire it so said fuse is easily accessible like in the battery compartment. You don't want to be having to take the plastics back off if you blow a fuse and you also don't want to put the entire burden of the circuit on the 7.5 amp accessory relay fuse. I found a nifty 4-fuse holder here: Four Fuse Holder (see second item down -Metri-Pack 280 - 4 Circuit Power Distribution box). I run all the accessories on my wife's NCX off the accessory harness, garage door opener, aux LED driving lights, accessory 12V socket in frunk and heated grips and run all the circuits to that fuse holder in the battery compartment.

BTW as other have mentioned you can also buy the connectors you need there see 3 pin 2.8mm - .110 Male and Female locking connector on this page. There is also one 4-pin connector in the accessory plug bundle that has power/ground and high-beam but I just connected to the power and ground for the heated grips for that one.

I realize that some of this is redundant to other posts but at least it shows that many of us are using the same sources for our electrical "supplies". Good luck!

Last edited:
The latest Oxford grips can be wired direct to the battery via an inline fuse.
The low voltage cutoff feature works great.
If the bike is off or there is a low voltage battery / Charging problem they switch off automatically :)
No need to reinvent the wheel.....

Andy

If the bike is off or there is a low voltage battery / Charging problem they switch off automatically :)

Andy

For the grips to know the bike is off, does it include/require a connection to a switched power source?

Andy

Have you left yours on to verify this feature leaves enough in battery to start NC?

At best battery charge will be low, not a good thing in cold weather.

Why not use relay to guarantee no loss when engine is off?

For the grips to know the bike is off, does it include/require a connection to a switched power source?

According to Oxford they can be connected directly to the battery just like a Battery Tender lead. In the case of my wife's bike though I'm just not the trusting type for leaving battery health to the capabilities of the Oxford Intelligent Controller and would rather err on the side of caution which is why I chose to connect the grips to a switched circuit. To each their own but I don't want a trip messed up because the Intelligent Controller decided to be dumb one time. :rolleyes:

Have you left yours on to verify this feature leaves enough in battery to start NC?

At best battery charge will be low, not a good thing in cold weather.

Why not use relay to guarantee no loss when engine is off?
Why bother going to all that trouble when its not needed.
When you rev the bike up you can hear the control box clicking in and out as the voltage increases / decreases
When the bike is off theres no current being drawn, assuming that you left them switched on in the first place!

Andy

D
When you rev the bike up you can hear the control box clicking in and out as the voltage increases / decreases
When the bike is off theres no current being drawn, assuming that you left them switched on in the first place!

Andy

If the grips are wired straight to the battery, then why is there no current being drawn when the bike is off? Are you saying the static battery voltage when the bike is off is low enough to shut the grips down?

All I know is that they work as advertised! :D

Here is some information from the Oxford website :-

The Battery Saving Mode protects against flat batteries. If you forget to turn the switch off, it will do it for you!

New switch technology means that, if the engine is switched off, the grips will automatically turn off until enough power is available. This eliminates the need for the user to buy and fit relays.

Andy

Andy

The issue only exists because some of us will forget to turn them off!

Here is the description I found on line at Heaterz Premium Sports - Heated Grips - Oxford Products USA Inc. :
and most importantly, the switch will switch off if the voltage drops to 10.5V to ensure that the battery is not damaged to the point that it cannot be fully recharged.

At 10.5 volts one has not damaged their battery but probably can't start the engine. As I said above it did happen to me on another MC. That is why I want a relay. If you NEVER forget to turn it off you don't need a relay.

Very interesting! :)
When I had them fitted to a Honda Deauville 700 I could hear the control Unit clicking on and off at Tickover.
So even with the engine running at tickover the grips were off!
As soon as you raised the revs they switched back on.

Andy

I can confirm with Oxford heated grips wired directly on my NC, that the resultant battery charge is too flat to start the bike. Push starting isn't so fun on this bike.

Back