• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oxford heated grips installed

Congrats. No way the Oxford tube is going to go over the grip ring, (without grinding the ring off) so if you got it on up to that ring, thats as far as it was ever going to go. If they work and the bar ends went back on, and there's no issue with the little electrical thing hitting anything when you twist the throttle, then I'd say you are good to go.
They work great. I was so excited when I got the OEM grip off easily and didn't see all those nubs I thought I was going to have to grind off, I didn't even notice the ring. Would have been nervous grinding that off as well. I'll leave it be for now and just enjoy the ride.

Hello All,

Thank you to everyone for their input. Today I'd like to make a contribution of my own and share my experience installing heated grips on my 2018 Honda NC750X.

After much thought (thanks again to all who responded to my previous posts) I settled for the Oxford Hotgrips EVO Touring. There were two reasons why I chose this model: (1) intelligent temperature management where the left grip that is in contact with the metal handlebar is getting more current to compensate for the dissipating heat when compared to the right grip that is in contact with (throttle) plastic and (2) no need to cut the grips (thanks to @InfernoST for mentioning this fact).

The installation took a few hours. Trimming the raised lip (someone referred in this post to it as "grip ring") on the throttle side took me some time as I didn't want to scratch the throttle housing. Didn't use any glue on either sides. The fitting was so tight that it I'd be very surprised if the grips rotate/slip. And no, I did not use a mallet :).

One -- unpleasant -- surprise was the incompatibility installing the controller on the left side where the clutch lever bracket is. This is due to the traction / torque controller being already installed there on my model. Flipping it to the right side was not an option in my view because the metal bracket needs to be altered to allow it to fit there and because it would obstruct the brake reservoir's small window that would allow for an easy check of the brake fluid level. So I left the controller for now in the "frunk" and will look for a mount or improvise one to install the heat controller on the left side (just to the right of the clutch lever bracket).

As for the first impressions: the grips surely make a difference, although I have not had the chance to ride for long in cold weather yet. Maybe I am a bit paranoid, but the right side seems to be a bit hotter than the left (which makes me wonder if the controller is as intelligent as Oxford claims to be on this new EVO model). I need some time to form a proper opinion (and perhaps an IR thermometer to get an accurate read on the temps). I hope to report back on this last point soon.

Good for you. When i installed mine i had to grind/file the little nubs off after several attempts to get them to slide on over them and i couldn't make them fit. Then as luck would have it, i filed too much of them off and now the glue won't hold them and when in use they just slide around after they come up to temp and i ride for a few miles. Totally frustrated with them/myself for not being more patient and filing just a little at a time. :{

Controller in the frunk seems like a hassle. I used mine yesterday for the first time and found myself adjusting it throughout the ride to keep the temperature just right. I did mount mine on the right side and bent the bracket enough so I can still eye ball the brake reservoir's small window. I do have to look behind the controller but to be honest, I don't check it all that often that this is an issue. Didn't know about the intelligent temperature management where the left grip gets more current. To be honest, I found the throttle side to be noticeably warmer than the left side. On my previous Goldwing and Africa Twin, both with OEM heated grips, the left side always much hotter. This is why I went with Oxfords this time. And, just wish I saw the comment about the grip ring. Still would have been nervous grinding that down and for now, leaving mine as is with a bit of gap there.

Controller in the frunk seems like a hassle. I used mine yesterday for the first time and found myself adjusting it throughout the ride to keep the temperature just right. I did mount mine on the right side and bent the bracket enough so I can still eye ball the brake reservoir's small window. I do have to look behind the controller but to be honest, I don't check it all that often that this is an issue. Didn't know about the intelligent temperature management where the left grip gets more current. To be honest, I found the throttle side to be noticeably warmer than the left side. On my previous Goldwing and Africa Twin, both with OEM heated grips, the left side always much hotter. This is why I went with Oxfords this time. And, just wish I saw the comment about the grip ring. Still would have been nervous grinding that down and for now, leaving mine as is with a bit of gap there.
I would just put it on the right side. How often does anyone need to look at the fluid level?

I would just put it on the right side. How often does anyone need to look at the fluid level?
You are right, @750dct. It is not a deal-breaker... more of a preference of mine.
Altering the bracket would take me just as much effort (don't really have a bench vise) as figuring out how to mount it on the left side where I mentioned.

You are right, @750dct. It is not a deal-breaker... more of a preference of mine.
Altering the bracket would take me just as much effort (don't really have a bench vise) as figuring out how to mount it on the left side where I mentioned.
I don't have a vice either but I use vice grips, channel locks , etc, to make up for it.:)

Then as luck would have it, i filed too much of them off and now the glue won't hold them and when in use they just slide around after they come up to temp and i ride for a few miles.
Frustrating! I ground off all of the nubs on the throttle tube, as well as cut the raised lip (ring) off. I have found that superglue held fine for about a year, but eventually the grip jolted free and started rotating in the tube.

It might end up being a "every year or so" maintenance item to re-glue, but it isn't too hard to get apart so I can live with that.

Frustrating! I ground off all of the nubs on the throttle tube, as well as cut the raised lip (ring) off. I have found that superglue held fine for about a year, but eventually the grip jolted free and started rotating in the tube.

It might end up being a "every year or so" maintenance item to re-glue, but it isn't too hard to get apart so I can live with that.
There are other glues out there better than super glue.......no prob.

This post update comes a bit overdue, but here it goes:

I was able to improvise with the bracket using some rubber part from Quad Lock's handlebar mount. It is not the prettiest setup, but it works. I have attached a few photos to show it.

Attachments

• Heat Controller Bracket.jpg
    Heat Controller Bracket.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 34
  • Heat Controller.jpg
    Heat Controller.jpg
    978.6 KB · Views: 34
This post update comes a bit overdue, but here it goes:

I was able to improvise with the bracket using some rubber part from Quad Lock's handlebar mount. It is not the prettiest setup, but it works. I have attached a few photos to show it.
I think I need to do the same instead of blocking the brake reservoir. I have a DCT so had to mount it on the right side. Note a huge issue, but probably a better way to do it. Notice you have the Quad Lock mount for your phone. I am using a RAM Mount but concerned about vibration as well as the iPhone falling off.

I think I need to do the same instead of blocking the brake reservoir. I have a DCT so had to mount it on the right side. Note a huge issue, but probably a better way to do it. Notice you have the Quad Lock mount for your phone. I am using a RAM Mount but concerned about vibration as well as the iPhone falling off.
I agree with you. For me, having it on the left side is better (I adjust the temp with my left hand).

I have been very pleased with the Quad Lock; have been using it for 3 years and had no issues. If not mistaken, they offer some kind of extra piece for vibration reduction if you are interested.

Lots of useful information in this thread so I decided to fit the Oxford Hotgrips. I found that Sports Bike Shop had a £30.00 off deal so got them for £59.99.
I had to file off the raised lip on the throttle tube so that went on OK. I wanted to put the controller on the left bar but as my bike is a DCT that area is a bit crowded. After a bit of head-scratching I drilled a 10 mm hole in the leg of the controller bracket and bent the leg to 90º and cut off the excess length. I unscrewed the mirror and refitted it with the leg of the bracket trapped between the mirror mount and the locknut. The bend in the bracket needs to be so placed so that the hand brake lever doesn't foul the edge of the controller. Picture below. (I should have allowed a bit more as the lever just caught the controller so I put a couple of washers under the bracket leg so that it missed.) In hindsight, I could make a new bracket to offset the controller a bit further left. I'll see how it goes on test.
I threaded all the wires along the left side of the covers to the battery compartment. (The battery on mine is at the rear of the "frunk", there is not much spare room in there.) I wired in a newly purchased Thunderbox and connected the hot grip wiring and gps wiring to it. I started the bike and it all seems to work with the Thunderbox powering up after a few seconds and powering down after a short delay when the ignition is switched off.
The Oxford grips controls function as claimed and get hot. So far I am quite pleased with the quality. I may be even more pleased if I get a chance to do a test ride today.
20230129_162951_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 2022 DCT and have mine installed in front of the brake reservoir. Just had to bend the mount the opposite way. It works fine there but not a fan of having it blocking the reservoir as I can't check level. I found a cheap little mount so you can install it in the middle of the handlebars. I have it installed but haven't moved the controller yet. Have to reroute the cable and right now it's tied up so nice. Just haven't gotten around to it. But for $15 it looks like a good idea. https://www.ebay.com/itm/384813899560

I have mine installed of the front brake reservoir as well, but I don't worry about the level, I've never had a bike go low on brake fluid in the two years between changes.

Lots of useful information in this thread so I decided to fit the Oxford Hotgrips. I found that Sports Bike Shop had a £30.00 off deal so got them for £59.99.
I had to file off the raised lip on the throttle tube so that went on OK. I wanted to put the controller on the left bar but as my bike is a DCT that area is a bit crowded. After a bit of head-scratching I drilled a 10 mm hole in the leg of the controller bracket and bent the leg to 90º and cut off the excess length. I unscrewed the mirror and refitted it with the leg of the bracket trapped between the mirror mount and the locknut. The bend in the bracket needs to be so placed so that the hand brake lever doesn't foul the edge of the controller. Picture below. (I should have allowed a bit more as the lever just caught the controller so I put a couple of washers under the bracket leg so that it missed.) In hindsight, I could make a new bracket to offset the controller a bit further left. I'll see how it goes on test.
I threaded all the wires along the left side of the covers to the battery compartment. (The battery on mine is at the rear of the "frunk", there is not much spare room in there.) I wired in a newly purchased Thunderbox and connected the hot grip wiring and gps wiring to it. I started the bike and it all seems to work with the Thunderbox powering up after a few seconds and powering down after a short delay when the ignition is switched off.
The Oxford grips controls function as claimed and get hot. So far I am quite pleased with the quality. I may be even more pleased if I get a chance to do a test ride today.
View attachment 51259
Nicely done @Edgrew. Thanks for sharing!

Nicely done @Edgrew. Thanks for sharing!
Another tip that some may not have seen before: To remove the original grips, carefully lift up the edge of the grip and insert the nozzle of an airline. You can make a bit of a seal with your fingers around the bit where you have inserted the airline and give it a quick puff while pushing the grip outwards. e.g. For the left grip:
  1. Facing forward with the airline in your left hand and the nozzle pushed into the end of the grip.
  2. Right hand on the grip with forefinger and thumb pinching the rubber on either side of the airline nozzle airline. The air will leak out around the nozzle but enough air pressure is created inside the grip to make it easier to slide off.
  3. Repeat for the other side with the airline in the right hand and left hand on the grip.
It makes more sense when you are actually doing it. It might not work if the grips have been glued on.

Back