• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

An upgrade of 41 years!

swedstal

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, all. Glad to be part of the community here. I guess I'll start by giving a little backstory:

My two-wheeled story begins in 1967, 17 years before I was born. My father bought a 1965 Honda CB160 which he rode from Wausa, Nebraska to Washington state to work at an orphanage for the summer. Although he ended up selling the bike for a plane ticket home, his brief time with a motorcycle was full of some very interesting stories.

When I turned 17, I found an old CB160, a '66 model, on ebay for a couple hundred bucks. What an awesome first bike! I rode that relic proudly, though I probably never looked as cool as I felt:D. I learned so much from that machine.

About four years ago, I “updated” to a 1971 CB350 twin. Any vehicle this age is a labor of love to keep running, but it has been great to expand my very limited mechanic's skills. Last winter I did my first engine rebuild to repair a leaky head gasket. As long as I had the engine apart, I decided to bore the cylinders, replace the pistons/rings, and clean up the valves. It was a big project since it was my first time, but it went really well....almost. About 500 miles after the rebuild, the two bolts holding the cam sprocket onto the camshaft sheared. It turns out an engine does not run very well when the valves aren't opening :D. I tore the engine apart, again, and put in another set of NOS Honda bolts, torqued down to spec and secured with red locktite.

(I'm sorry this is long. I'll try to get to the point)

The 350 was running so well that I decided I wanted to try a long distance trip to Niagra Falls, about a 2,000 mile round trip. I had taken a ride of about half that length the summer before. I secured two weeks off of work and planned to leave on October 13th. A couple of weeks ago, on September 27th, mechanical tragedy struck again. My cam bolts both sheared off...AGAIN!

So there I sat, a great adventure planned, but without a trusty steed.

I decided that I really needed this trip (for mental health reasons) and that I was going to make it happen. I will fix the 350, but I just did not have time. When the NC came out last spring and I looked at the specs, I was sure that was going to be my next bike. This is the motorcycle that I've been waiting years for someone to build. It combines all of the things I love about my old 350 - efficiency, agility, versatility, simplicity, an upright riding posture, and of course a reasonable price - and adds the handful of mechanical advances that have been made in the last 40 years - electronic ignition, fuel injection....uhhhh.....a fuel gauge. (I guess not too much has changed ;) )

Getting an NC now became a present, rather than a future consideration. I am extremely frugal (as well as single and healthy) so I had the money available. As fate (or luck, destiny, etc.) would have it, I found a 2012 model with just 1,200 miles on it in Sioux City, about 2 hours away. I agreed to buy it, unseen, just three days after the 350 broke down. I paid $5,350 which seems a fair price.

My first ride was fairly eventful, with about 15 minutes of hard rain. Unbeknownst to me, a tornado was tearing through Wayne, NE, just about 30 miles west of where I was riding. Yikes!

First impressions are pretty much as expected. I have a hard time believing the curb weight. They did such a great job of keeping the weight low. I'm loving the storage compartment, but not sure whether to call it a "frunk" (front trunk), a "fank" (fake tank), a "tox" (tank box), or a "mood" (motorcycle hood). Maybe someone can help me with the accepted vernacular :D. It is a bit eerie for me not being able to hear the engine at highway speeds, it's quieter than I thought it would be.

I'm heading out to Niagra Falls in just 4 days! I will probably do a ride report over on advrider. I'll link it here if I do.

I ended up posting my ride report in the touring/traveling section on this site. HERE is the link.

The old (Meiling):
XlYO7MEl.jpg

The new (No name yet, TBD):
gsxgddtl.jpg

Last edited:
I'm loving the storage compartment, but not sure whether to call it a "frunk" (front trunk), a "fank" (fake tank), a "tox" (tank box), or a "mood" (motorcycle hood). Maybe someone can help me with the accepted vernacular :D. It is a bit eerie for me not being able to hear the engine at highway speeds, it's quieter than I thought it would be.

I'm heading out to Niagra Falls in just 4 days! I will probably do a ride report over on advrider. I'll link it here if I do.

Welcome aboard swedstal, I'm sure she will be all you had hoped for!

As far as what to call that compartment that most think is the gas tank... on here the majority of us call it a "Frunk", (at the time of this writing there are 28 posts with "Frunk" in the subject line) but there is also a group of vocal patrons who still are trying to get everyone to call it something else (they aren't united it what that would be however).

So feel free to call it what you like. We will know what you mean.

Have a great trip...look forward to reading your ride report!

smileywelcome.jpg

Hi from Montreal, Quebec. Loved the story and all the different names for the frunk (as I like to call it!)

"frunk" (front trunk), a "fank" (fake tank), a "tox" (tank box), or a "mood" (motorcycle hood)

no need to apologize for "going long" on the back ground story. History like that is some of the best reading I ever do on these boards! You write well. I love the pictures of the old bike and the proud rider on the new one!

Now this fellow is a rider. He knows to name his bike, he understands how important simple motor engineering is to a rider, he understands the importance of balance on a bike, and he Rides. There are a few other fellows here who also had a CB160, CB305, and CB350. Oh yeah, we bleed Honda red! Welcome to the stable.

Last edited:
Welcome from Washington!!! I call it a frunk because it lends itself well to bad puns. Its a frunking great bike and its improved my overall mental health by no small measure. I completely understand the need to just get on and ride. Someday I'll have time like OCR and I'll just live on my bike but until then I'll squeeze out what moments I can.

Welcome from Oregon. Thanks for the great introduction. I enjoy reading stories like that giving us a little more history. Also liked your other suggestions for the "Frunk." Actually "Mood" might not be too bad, since every time I ride mine it puts me in a great mood. I used to live across the border from you in NW Iowa, however, from your picture I think it must have been before you were even born! Yes, us old guys love the NC too.

Back