• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Almost Got Smeared

Does this mean the loud pipe crowd is a danger to themselves? You know, the glorious sound of their pipes hammering a tattoo on their brain so loud they can't hear danger approaching?

(There is no need to answer - it's a rhetorical question).

Hi all
I see some "action" here on this thread. Wow.

Happy to see a peaceful blowout in the end.
I like loud pipes if they are part of the design, but I do not endorse loud pipes just because some idiots want attention to their otherwise mediocrely made bag of rusty bolts and nuts. If loud pipes can save lives, they should ban Lexus and Electric cars. And they must point the pipes forwards.

Sorry to reopen this can of worms.
Peace be unto you all.
~Joe

Hi all
I see some "action" here on this thread. Wow.

Happy to see a peaceful blowout in the end.
I like loud pipes if they are part of the design, but I do not endorse loud pipes just because some idiots want attention to their otherwise mediocrely made bag of rusty bolts and nuts. If loud pipes can save lives, they should ban Lexus and Electric cars. And they must point the pipes forwards.

Sorry to reopen this can of worms.
Peace be unto you all.
~Joe

You should of left it alone Joe. We need to move on to our problem with the pulsating in the transmission. Enough of this BS!

Bob

worms.jpg

Last edited:
A young punk driving a Toyota Tacoma wanted to play a game of chicken with a scooter on a LONELY strech of South Dakota highway. If there was no paved shoulder, My scooter and I would have been his truck's hood orniment. I saw the stupid smurk on his face as he passed. There were 1 car, his truck and my scooter as far as the eye can see. but he had to pull out to pass the car in front on him and forced me off to the paved shoulder. I am new to the sport and thank god I took the MSF. On the first class the insructors told us that all cagers are out to kill us bikers and its ALWAYS right of weight, NOT right of way. I will never forget that...

I still say Loud Pipes Save Lives!

Still the dumbest damn thing I here coming out of the mouths of people who just want to make as much noise as they can at a bar parking lot or to try and scare old lady's on the road so they can try and feel like a bad-ass. I can't believe that anyone still tries to use this excuse for causing them self’s and others hearing damage when it’s been proven false by hundreds of tests over 30 plus years. The number one style bike ran over around here, V-Twin metric or American cruiser with...wait for it...Straight Pipes..

Last edited:
Please post reference to tests that prove loud pipes do not in any way help to save lives as I would be interested in seeing them.

Tony

Only yesterday when returning from Stratford Upon Avon on my crossrunner I was on a 3 lane motorway as I approached an intersection (see I'm learning American terms) with traffic entering from the left I moved to the centre lane to allow traffic to join the inside lane. As I did so a woman drove her car into the inside lane and then drifted into the centre lane trying to use the same space as I was in forcing me towards the outside lane. Luckily a car that was coming down the outside lane must have realised what was occuring and braked to allow me room and prevent me becoming sandwiched between the 2 cars. At the time I was travelling at around 80 MPH so without the quick thinking of the 2nd driver I don't think that I would be around to post this. The woman just ignored my Hi Viz vest and the sfact that I was blasting my horn and flashing my lights at her
Why are women alway involved ?:rolleyes:

In my opinion, loud pipes risk rights. I think loud pipes are inconsiderate of others just like a loud stereo.

I agree with this point of view. If people do not tone down these loud bikes on their own, more and more communities will restrict them by police force (which I am in favor of). Many communities have already done so and the general public is pushing hard for tougher laws against them. I am not usually for government restrictions on most things, but disturbing everyone for a half mile radius is just plain rude.

Attachments

• PRQ3.jpg
    PRQ3.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 71
  • PRQ2.jpg
    PRQ2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 67
  • PRQ4.jpg
    PRQ4.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 66
  • PRQ.jpg
    PRQ.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I agree with this point of view. If people do not tone down these loud bikes on their own, more and more communities will restrict them by police force (which I am in favor of). Many communities have already done so and the general public is pushing hard for tougher laws against them. I am not usually for government restrictions on most things, but disturbing everyone for a half mile radius is just plain rude.

The problem comes when the legislation discriminates against the non-offenders by generalizing. For instance because "motorcycles are loud and disturb the peace" they are not allowed in certain places or at certain times. As long ago as 1975 when I was riding a first year Gold Wing I moved into an apartment that had a rule that you could have a motorcycle, but you had to push it from the gate to your apartment. One day I parked my GW (left it idling) and walked over to where the apartment manager was working on some shrubbery and asked her if I could ride my bike in if it was quiet. She asked "how quiet is it?" I pointed at it and said "It is over there and the engine is running."

The more loud bikes there are, the more it is seen as a characteristic of motorcycles at large, rather than as a deliberate act by some motorcyclists. You can get into the "how loud is loud" arguments but it is the straight pipe and megaphone crowd that gets people fuming enough to call for legislation. It doesn't help that the herd mentality exists in this sub-culture and it is not uncommon to have large groups of them parade by at once whacking their throttles and enjoying the mayhem that they cause. Guess they don't know that "eagles don't flock".

If loud pipes only risked the rights of motorcyclists with loud pipes, I would be all for it as well.

Originally Posted by Seabee Bob
I still say Loud Pipes Save Lives!

Still the dumbest damn thing I here coming out of the mouths of people who just want to make as much noise as they can at a bar parking lot or to try and scare old lady's on the road so they can try and feel like a bad-ass. I can't believe that anyone still tries to use this excuse for causing them self’s and others hearing damage when it’s been proven false by hundreds of tests over 30 plus years. The number one style bike ran over around here, V-Twin metric or American cruiser with...wait for it...Straight Pipes..

It is Veterans Day. Why do you want to start war with me today? "Peace Out"

worms.jpg

Last edited:
If loud pipes only risked the rights of motorcyclists with loud pipes, I would be all for it as well.

Agree. I am against all loud vehicles.. Trucks, cars, bikes, etc.. Same rules for all.

As for communities who ban bikes (I have heard of some communities that ban pickup trucks as well), people have the option of not living there. I for one would never live in a community with a homeowners association of any kind.. But that is a different subject.

A noise ordinance would have to be enforced by proving the offender is breaking the ordinance. A rider of a quiet bike would not easily be prosecuted. A person on a super loud bike would be easily proven guilty by way of sound level recorder. The only bad part of that is the gray area of the specifics... How far the officer stands from the offending vehicle etc...

We are in danger of loosing the right to ride in National Parks in the UK due to riders of noisy bikes. As anyone who knows the UK will tell you some of the best riding roads and sceanart are in these areas

In the UK forum there was quite a debate about loud cans. I am in favour of a louder silencer than that of the stock NC one but at the same time I am not a fan of silencers that make the ground tremble. I also believe that a louder silencer does contribute in some cases to help make other road users aware of your presence.

My argument was that even in unbaffled state an aftermarket silencer on the NC bikes sounds nothing like it would do on many other bikes. My bro runs an R1 with a stubby unbaffled exhaust and that is extremely loud at tick over where as the NC is not and just sounds a lil deeper in tone. The NC with an unbaffled silencer just has a very nice deep drone as you ride and short shift so you do not let it scream like on a high revving bike. For the first 8 weeks I ran the bike unbaffled but for the past couple of weeks I have had the db killer in. I had a good think about the argument Rocker and others made on the other forum and I do not want to be part of the group that gets bikes banned in areas, areas I have never actually ridden yet!

So i now permanently have the db killer in my Beowulf silencer and it is entirely road legal, yet it is still loud and deep enough for my enjoyment. Some would argue that even with the db killer in my silencer sounds too loud but then again some are never happy if they can not find something to moan about.

Last edited:
Back