• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Almost Got Smeared

Dannodog

Reaction score
dannodog.blogspot.com
a few days ago I was riding in a 4-lane 55mph area, and some lady fiddling with something in her lap(probably her phone) looked right at me and then pulled out in front of me! Thank God I had this kind of hunch she was going to do that...anyway I went from 55mph/6th gear to >20mph/2nd gear very quickly! So yes, the brakes work Great(!), but I didn't plan on using them like that! Luckily there was a business about 100 yards up the road and pulled into the parking lot and sat and shook for about a half an hour. Anyway, after I regained some composure, I just turned around and headed back to the house...

So I figured she didn't even see me. Now I wear my Blaze-Orange Upland Hunting Vest. Everybody looks at me now. So when they look I smile and wave...Not only do they see me they remember that I waved. It works like a champ!

Does anyone else have a close call and did you do anything to remedy it? Do you wear reflective gear or ...?

For my close calls. I have been hit with a clump of leaves and small branch, from a Red Oak tree.
While riding at night a dog/Fox ran in front of me. My brakes got tested then.
No reflective gear yet, but its on the list.

Does anyone else have a close call and did you do anything to remedy it? Do you wear reflective gear or ...?

I guess I don't have your calm reserve when someone tries to terminate my life by their inattention. I encountered a woman whose cell phone converation was more important to her than my life. She started into my lane (on a 4-lane) and I had nowhere to escape to (low shoulder and traffic behind). I sounded the horn but she didn't react. In fact, I didn't hear it either with my earplugs in. So to announce my position I kicked the lower half of her right rear door rather hard. As far as she knew, she hit me. I imagine she is still trying to find her cell phone under the seats.

Better horns are on the bike now. I could have been wearing a blaze orange Santa Claus suit and she would not have seen it. I prefer to do forward visibility with lights, although HiViz definitely helps.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. It must be scary.

I found the most effective thing is : Video evidence or photo evidence.
This way, there is no disputing.
I even suggested to someone to have a wearable camera or video camera, but Apple and Samsung beat me to it...
:p

Only yesterday when returning from Stratford Upon Avon on my crossrunner I was on a 3 lane motorway as I approached an intersection (see I'm learning American terms) with traffic entering from the left I moved to the centre lane to allow traffic to join the inside lane. As I did so a woman drove her car into the inside lane and then drifted into the centre lane trying to use the same space as I was in forcing me towards the outside lane. Luckily a car that was coming down the outside lane must have realised what was occuring and braked to allow me room and prevent me becoming sandwiched between the 2 cars. At the time I was travelling at around 80 MPH so without the quick thinking of the 2nd driver I don't think that I would be around to post this. The woman just ignored my Hi Viz vest and the sfact that I was blasting my horn and flashing my lights at her

I don't think it would have helped if I was riding a bright pink bike with a huge flashing neon arrow pointing at it saying "Look Bike". She was obviously one of these people who doesn't care about anybody and she knew if anyone got hurt it would be me not her. I watched as she then went on to switch lanes and undertake cars (ileagal in the UK) at speed. The best bit was a bit further down the road the traffic had come to a stand and I was able to pass her whilst filtering or lane splitting as you guys would refer to it

Yikes! I'm glad you're here to tell the tale! Do you think the vest helped? Horn and Lights?

In my limited experience, nothing but YOURSELF and your alertness and awareness of all traffic around you, is the real help.
No amount of lights or colors will stop idiots from running you down. On road or offroad... :p

Reading these posts is an excellent reminder of what a really good book "Proficient Motorcycling" is. And since my lady friend now has a two wheeler, I'm inclined to study it further to impart those tips her way. I can't stress enough how handy the advice in that book has been.

I still say Loud Pipes Save Lives!

Not all the time. My V-Rod was pretty load and I almost got taken out by a guy in a dually a year ago. The bike wasn't so lucky, I had to lay it down partialy due to my lack of experience I'm sure and due to the fact that this guy wasn't looking my direction at all and obviously couldn't hear me over his truck. But I was attempting to pass him and the big rig in front of him on a two lane road. At the last second he cut me off to pass the big rig. I had very little time to react. Locked up the brakes, lost control and went down at about 60mph. Spent 4days in the hospital, being treated for 2nd degree burns as when you trade flesh with the pavement at those speeds the friction burns your skin. Luckily I had on a jacket that had elbow pads otherwise I'm sure it would have shattered. Even with the pads my left elbow was bruised up real bad. I was able to walk away with no broken bones though. The mesh jacket I had on rode up as I didn't have the matching pants on where the jacket zips to it and scrapped up my stomach pretty bad and my legs as I was only wearing jeans for pants. Jeans don't do $h%t for protection when you go down.

So after a year of time to reflect on all that lead up to my accident and injuries I'm finaly back on two wheels with the NC. Also now ride with ATGATT!! Like some people stated, doesn't matter how visable you are some cagers don't care and or they aren't paying any attention. Biggest thing I have learned is not to get in a hurry. Slow down, keep your distances and ALWAYS leave yourself an out, ALWAYS. Going down freaking hurts, don't want to go through that again, but not willing to give up riding. Just need to practice safe riding skills and pay very close attention to whats going on around you.

Reading these posts is an excellent reminder of what a really good book "Proficient Motorcycling" is. And since my lady friend now has a two wheeler, I'm inclined to study it further to impart those tips her way. I can't stress enough how handy the advice in that book has been.

I believe I will be looking into that book! I grew up in Charleston WV. Moved to STL in 2000 after college, grad school, and 2 years teaching in Ohio.

I'm not a fan of loud pipes, but a 44 magnum should do. I think its loud enough.

I would have favored that too. The guy who took me out was driving on a suspended license to boot. Shouldn't have even been behind the wheel. Plus he had crappy insurance. So another lesson from that was to carry un-insurred/under-insurred motorist coverage.

Ride like you are invisible to most and the ones that see you are trying to kill you. It works well. Bright light colored or fluorescent apparel and helmets help reduce risk. Apparel combined with an active defensive riding strategy and a pocketful of defensive tactics are the best we can do to survive the streets.

Proficient Motorcycling by Hough, Ride Hard Ride Smart by Hahn, and The Upper Half of The Motorcycle by Spiegler are good references.

In order to be seen you have to be a threat. You have to aim for their heads. It is amazing how often you well freeze people in their tracks. Plus it could give you a place to go if they pull out in front.

I still say Loud Pipes Save Lives!

I think maybe in the old days, when auto technology wasn't as good, a car driver might have been able to hear a loud bike. But with 200watt stereos with mp3 players, bluetooth, gps and a super quiet cabin, I don't think that holds true anymore. I've actually seen ambulances with lights flashing and sirens blaring on the bumpers of car drivers that were either ignoring them or just didn't hear them. Course, I'm talking about the east coast...

I think maybe in the old days, when auto technology wasn't as good, a car driver might have been able to hear a loud bike. But with 200watt stereos with mp3 players, bluetooth, gps and a super quiet cabin, I don't think that holds true anymore. I've actually seen ambulances with lights flashing and sirens blaring on the bumpers of car drivers that were either ignoring them or just didn't hear them. Course, I'm talking about the east coast...

I think that this might be true of many places not just the East Coast. It is certainly aplicable to the UK

Back