• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Aftermarket Seat Choice - Input Requested

ronsaw

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

I know I throw this out at the risk of scorn for bringing up this oft-discussed subject again, but I will ask. What aftermarket seat do you like? I can't bear it any longer, I am shifting after 40 miles and sore for a couple days after riding 100+ miles in a day. I've done the seat mod - helped a little - but two years later it is time. I know it is a personal choice due to height, build, rear end composition etc. I am 6'4" and 300# with a 34" inseam so height is not a concern. I always had a bony a$$ anyway, and at 44 years old, it is more so now. I sat on a used NC at a local Dealer yesterday with a Shad Comfort seat on it, and it felt good, this was my first choice anyway. My limit is $400, (Russell Day Long is out) and I will pull the trigger in the next couple days. Shad? Corbin? Seat Concepts?

Opinions appreciated! Thanks, ride safe.

What's the "seat mod" you mentioned? Everyone has a different butt and also different posture on the bike so a seat that is great for one rider may be agony for another!

What's the "seat mod" you mentioned? Everyone has a different butt and also different posture on the bike so a seat that is great for one rider may be agony for another!

Very close to the ShowKey mod. Lifted the front by raising the tab for the front of the seat to locate in, added furniture bumpers.

Sargent with sheepskin. Good shape, firm mitigated by sheepskin, very supportive.............

One vote for the Shad. I had the original seat on my 750x and could not get on with it. The Shad is comfortable even on long (for me) rides ~200-300 miles in a day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sat on a used NC at a local Dealer yesterday with a Shad Comfort seat on it, and it felt good, this was my first choice anyway.

If that was a used bike for sale at the dealer, talk to the dealer and try to give him $100-$200 to trade seats with yours. Worth a shot.

I use the bead seat and it does an ok job for the money. It doesn't look very good but its a cheap solution. As soon as I get my worn OEM rear tire replaced at 2000 miles, I will look for another option, possibly Seat Concept or Saddleman

just ordered the seat concept based on a lot of good reviews and the affordability. (I did try removing staples in the stock seat. Slid foam in but it still didn't do the trick)

I installed the Shad Comfort and it feels better - but frankly i wouldnt want to do more than 1 day (300+ miles) in the seat - as i commute mostly its not a big deal. On my previous bike i had a corbin and a RDL - i know you said Russell are out, so i would say 2nd choice is corbin - of course that isnt cheap either , but i could do a whole weekend.

Cant talk to all the others - but to me, boney butt too, i need the wider support russell and corbin provide to spread the weight off my boney parts.

Ive also heard good things about Laam.

Corbin, made to my (your) personal instructions and testing at their facility. Corbin seats are HARD, and since I never tried one of their off-the-shelf seats, I cannot recommend that; they would be quite horrible if they did not fit you. However, made/shaped properly for the individual, they're great seats.

I agree, Corbin seats are very firm. I had one on a bike at the same time I had a Sargent on another bike. I liked them both equally well which goes to show it doesn't have to be an either/or sort of thing. However both seat were very firm.

A bit of feedback on the Shad:
I had one. The Shad is the softest aftermarket seat I'm aware of. At first it was oh-so-nice and comfy like a pillow. I enjoyed it for a couple thousand miles. Then, on a 2000 mile one-week trip, I started to realize how the forward slope was definitely still there. I started to feel the edges on the thinner rear portion of the seat, and felt like I was being forced into a pocket near the frunk. After a total of 5000 miles on the Shad, I tried a Saddlemen seat that was for sale on the forum. I rode on that for 6 months and decided it was time to choose between the two. I put the Shad back on for a week and could no longer stand the Shad. Sold it.

The Shad at first looks like it raises the height a bit in front. But after the foam breaks down it actually lowers the seat height. By the way, I'm 165 pounds on the scale in the morning.

One thing I learned is that seat can be too soft (something I never could believe until I tried it).

By the way, The Saddlemen is a kit just like the Seat Concepts and it's reasonably priced. It removes the forward slope completely without being too thick. It's not perfect, but I just did 1500 miles in 4 days with some discomfort, but not anguish. I think I'll try an Air Hawk DS along with the Saddlemen. Oh, it just never ends.

Part of it is me. Frankly, there's a limit to how long I can sit on any motorcycle seat. My GL1800's modified seat can have me crying after 3000 miles in 9 days.

One final note: I believe a rider's underwear and riding gear also play a big role in butt comfort, so don't overlook that part of the equation.

Last edited:
My Seat Concepts has been ordered. Hopefully I'll get it before my 3 day ride next weekend to get a real test. But from all the reviews and the price tag, it seems like its the best bang for the buck.

My new one from Seat Concepts should be in my hands on Thursday. I'll post a review once I get it back/get it installed. Hopefully the weather here in Lower Michigan will be conducive to riding by then as well. Seemed like for the price, however, it was hard to go wrong.

Just to give those of you waiting on your Seat Concepts seat an idea of their current backlog, mine arrived Friday 4/08, 16 days after ordering it, or 12 business days. It's the "Low" version and looks very well made. Haven't installed it yet though. That'll probably happen this week sometime.

Back