• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Adjusting valves?

John Boy

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont have the proper service manual yet, I hate the owners manuals, never enough info in there. Has anyone adjusted their valves yet? Somebody must have, from what I've found it sounds like a simple screw type adjustment. For the mechanicaly inclined is it very difficult? (I apologize as I know I could answer this myself with a manual, but curiosity has the better of me) Pretty straight forward or not? Can't stand the idea of paying somebody to do what I am capable of. Save the money and spend it on .....and.......for the bike.:D

IMHO, the big issue is that you must remove the radiator to gain access to the camshaft

The procedure on this bike is very easy, even with removing the radiator which gives you good access to everything. The radiator doesn't hold much antifreeze, so don't worry about wasting what's already in the bike. I've done many valve adjustments and hate shim under bucket valves, one of the reasons I didn't go with a 650 v-strom. This bike is not difficult, but you do need to buy a service manual. Any average person can do it.

The procedure on this bike is very easy, even with removing the radiator which gives you good access to everything. The radiator doesn't hold much antifreeze, so don't worry about wasting what's already in the bike. I've done many valve adjustments and hate shim under bucket valves, one of the reasons I didn't go with a 650 v-strom. This bike is not difficult, but you do need to buy a service manual. Any average person can do it.

True, it's not hard to do, BUT if the OP has never adjusted valves before I think he might want to have a buddy there with some experience to get the concept down and the correct amount of drag on the feeler guage. Plus a "third" hand on the box end wrench is always nice to have. The service manual does break down the procedure rather well though.

Thanks guys, I didn't think it would be very difficult. I have feeler gauges and all the tools and experience required. Just curious about this bike in particular. Thankyou for the replies.

Back