• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Accessory Outlet

I'll use the 12v outlet inside the compartment to charge a phone and iPod and rarely to power a tire compressor when inflating or repairing a punctured tire on the road.

I would caution against the OEM outlet for both these duties.

As I understand it, the OEM 12V power socket has a 1 amp (hah!) fuse, which would pop just out of general fright at being in the same time zone as the smallest of tire compressors. But if you swapped in a heavier duty fuse, say even a 5 amp-it still may blow very easily, with the power draw of a pump.

So then you are looking at a 7.5 minimum, or more likely, a 10 amp fuse, and this may be quite a bit more than the OEM socket wiring was really meant for. (just speculating here, I don't really know the gauge of the stock wire harness or the relay kit for the original equipment socket, but if it's fused with a 1 amp, I would imagine it's really just for cell phone and Ipod charging kinda thing.)

Plus, now you have a fuse rated way too high for fairly delicate electronic devices, IMHO. It would suck at having to remember to swap out fuses everytime you wanted to use a possibly larger amp accessory.

Trying to use an air compressor last month on a trip, my BMW's nefarious CanBus electrical set up (no fuses on the bike, the computer limits any excessive draw and shuts down whatever it doesn't like, lol) would not let me run it-too high amp draw through it's OEM power socket.

Had to break out the Battery-SAE-to-12V socket extension line, and finally put in a 10 amp fuse, as the even the 7.5 jobbies blew up.

Just a thought. :)

I would caution against the OEM outlet for both these duties.

Agree. I would recommend one inside the compartment (low fused) and one outside (high fused). The inside receptacle can be used for chargers and the outside can be used for heated clothing, battery charging (if wired unswitched) and air compressors.

I am doing my own a bit differently...

1) I am using Powerlet instead of cig adapters
2) I am using breakers in the PDM-60 instead of fuses
3) The PDM-60 has a separate 2-wire SAE connector for battery chargers

I believe I saw a Honda 12 volt outlet pictured on the left side of the storage compartment. Is that the typical mounting spot if the Honda 12 volt attachment was ordered from the dealer? I found a triple extension 12 volt rig with a 5 amp fuse built in at Big Lots for $5.00, and used it to power my cell phone on my ST1100. I have a hard time justifying paying over $100 for all of the gizmos to make 12 volt lighter attachment operational.

I believe I saw a Honda 12 volt outlet pictured on the left side of the storage compartment. Is that the typical mounting spot if the Honda 12 volt attachment was ordered from the dealer? I found a triple extension 12 volt rig with a 5 amp fuse built in at Big Lots for $5.00, and used it to power my cell phone on my ST1100. I have a hard time justifying paying over $100 for all of the gizmos to make 12 volt lighter attachment operational.

I would too if that was all I was going to run from it. But if you intend to add other items (alarm, grip, lights) then it is a clean way to power all of them. The factory needed a plug-n-play harness solution to facilitate sales of accessories and non-problematic installation by knuckle-draggers. There are several circuits you could tap just to add a 1 amp switched load. Even with all the mods that I have made, I still use the Honda option relay and fuse to switch on my power distribution center. It is a clean way to do it, but expensive for just a cig lighter.

I have Powerlet products on my VFR800, and while the prices for the product are slightly higher than most other options, the quality (both in electricity capacity and overall build quality) is outstanding.

I think I am going to add the 'center triple tree' mount just like I have on my VFR. Perfect spot for a power outlet, IMHO.

(picture 'stolen' from Powerlet Website for illustrative purposes)

PKT-012_p_371_webl.jpg
I totally trust these products, and just like Beemerphile & LBS stated, I will be adding a Powerlet (or 2) outlet on the outside of the bike for heated clothing, GPS, etc, while the Honda accessory plug mounted in the Not-The-Tank will power the cell phones, MP3s, etc.

You really can't go wrong with the powerlet setup.

Last edited:
I like the idea of the Powerlet but looking at my handlebars on my S and it would seem they are directly in the way. I think i would use a slim usb power plug into the Powerlet and connect to my satnav in that manner. My 12v satnav plug would not fit due to the position of the handlebars it seems.

Is this what you would need? I do not see one avaliable for the NC yet. How do you feed the wires to it from the power point once it is mounted?

i-KHKbz3r-L.jpg

Last edited:
They look great but I still have no idea how the wires are fed to the outlet.....

Ah right thanks. As you can see I know little about that area. I guess you shove something up inside of stem to pry the black cap off the top. Definatly want to do this when one is avaliable for our bikes.

Tony

that seems like a good place to plug in Electric clothing.

I like to plug in electric clothing behind me so I don't have to deal with the wire while driving. The Powerlet I use for electric clothing is mounted in the seat cowl just under the front of the passenger grab rail. Most plugs on electric jackets cmoe out on the lower left side.

I like to plug in electric clothing behind me so I don't have to deal with the wire while driving. The Powerlet I use for electric clothing is mounted in the seat cowl just under the front of the passenger grab rail. Most plugs on electric jackets cmoe out on the lower left side.

I agree 100%. I don't think I will be using electric clothing, but if so I wouldn't like to have to deal with the wire in front of me

I always lead the heated clothing plug out under the front lower left side of the seat and lead the power wire up to the controller clipped on my left chest pocket or sewn-on loop. It's convenient to plug in or unplug either sitting on the bike or standing next to it. The wire itself in front of me causes no trouble, it's out of the way. I tried below and behind the seat with my first set of heated gear and found it restricting and less convenient. It's difficult or impossible to plug in before sitting on the bike and when you stop you will forget and swing a leg off the seat and either unplug yourself or pull the male connector off the end of the wire harness to the controller. But there is more than one way to skin a cat and many people mount the female below and behind the seat.

I'm in the process of adding my factory power outlet now. Accessory Instal.jpg I have an aftermarket socket that I mounted on the left handle bar. When you buy the factory sub-harness, it is a plug-and-play attachment that adds 4 pre-made female sockets for power. You can add anything to them. I'm going to add a male adapter for my aftermarket socket and snap it in, keeping installation simple. Aside from the pain of removing the left cowl, it is an easy install and I still have 3 extra female power connectors.

The factory accessory socket comes with an in-line 1 amp fuse. You click it in between the subharness and the new power outlet. If you blow this thing, you're going to have to take the entire left side cowl off again, just to change it. Be forewarned: this could suck.

The factory accessory socket comes with an in-line 1 amp fuse. You click it in between the subharness and the new power outlet. If you blow this thing, you're going to have to take the entire left side cowl off again, just to change it. Be forewarned: this could suck.

You could replace the inline fuse with an inline circuit breaker. They are available at most auto parts stores like AutoZone, Advance, etc. in a modified base ATC construction.

Back