• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Accessory Outlet

That's a good option. I'm also looking at pulling that entire sub harness up to a more usable point, like inside the left false air intake. If I pop that 1 amp or want to add more accessories, I'd like to not have to removed the entire side panel again.

I am not sure the sub harness is long enough and that faux air intake will have enough space. If you started to plug more stuff in it may be challenging to squeeze all in. I like the way it is even though its tucked way in. I wired up my GPS to the sub harness by exposing the fuse just right under the lower side panel. How frequent do you plug and unplug accessories? For me I have not opened it since I wired up the 12V socket and GPS. That was months ago.

I ended up pulling the four subharness connectors up into the space to the left of the factory circuit breaker. Now the 1A fuse runs along the bottom of the battery where I can easily get to it.
Accessory Fuse.jpg

EDIT: to keep it simple I opened up a separate thread for this topic:
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/1249-usb-port-installation-tutorial.html

If you have any tips or suggestions please post them there. Thanks! :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh man! I purchased an USB outlet for my handlebar (Link 1) as well as one USB outlet that I will install beneath the hidden document compartment in the fake trunk (Link 2).

Thought all of this was going to be super easy. It's my very first time working on a motorcycle but now I read stuff about some sort of "sub-harness" and removing the left side panel of the bike. Now it doesn't look so easy anymore. :/

What is this sub harness and do I need it to connect these two USB ports? I wanted to connect the USB port in the trunk directly to the battery (always powered) and the one on my handlebar to the ignition (only powered when the key is turned to on). Is this doable? Could I just run the trunk USB port directly to the battery behind the maintenance panel? But how would I get the cables for the USB port on the handle bar to the battery? And again: what is this sub harness for?

Not sure if any of you have the patience to walk me through this but I would really appreciate any pointers I could get!

Additional info
The product page for the trunk USB plug (link 2) says:
The all weather straight cord is direct connecting to 12V power system, this system is engineered to power down from 12V to the USB power requirements of DC 5V +/-0.25 and 1A max. Contains a built in automatic fuse that resets itself. Great for all types of motorcycles, cars and recreational vehicles.

And the product page for the handlebar USB plug (link 1) says:
This USB power supply will connect directly to any 12-24VDC powered vehicles.

And their connection diagram is this:
image.jpg

Also, here is a nice, clean photo of the battery compartment so that others can follow along in case we need to reference any of the connectors in there:

image.jpg

(I will probably make a video tutorial once I figure it out myself. Others shouldn't have to go through the same pain.)

Last edited:
You could replace the inline fuse with an inline circuit breaker. They are available at most auto parts stores like AutoZone, Advance, etc. in a modified base ATC construction.

Nice find! Maybe I'm missing something, wouldn't this 60Amp circuit breaker too much for a 1A accessory socket wiring? Granted the wires could potentially hold larger current but 60A vs. 1A...

Nice find! Maybe I'm missing something, wouldn't this 60Amp circuit breaker too much for a 1A accessory socket wiring? Granted the wires could potentially hold larger current but 60A vs. 1A...

60 amps is the main. Each branch circuit gets a fuse sized for the ampacity of the branch. 1 amp fuses are available in ATC format.

You should get a gander at a tricked-out long distance ride set up for rallies. Two or even three GPS, smartphone & or communication radios, audio controls for music or traffic/weather info, radar detectors, cruise control, with switches for all this stuff and the extra lighting for riding at speed at night. It's hard to even see the handlebars for all the electronics mounted in the cockpit.

Long-Distance Motorcycles (photos)

That's exactly what I was thinking... I can't imagine not having at least 2 USB outlets to have my cell and gps plugged into on the bars or somewhere up front hear the steering column. If you ride a full day 12+ hours and use gps or gps on your phone or your phone as an mp3 player, you will never make the whole days ride without having somewhere to plug the device in.

I suppose if you ride that distance without using any sort of electronic device you wouldn't need power outside the frunk also.... but I am not one to do that kind of riding without electronics so I am afraid I must have power.

Just installed the power outlet from Cycle Gear last night. It's nice and super easy. I installed a 5A inline ATM style fuse. 5A so I can charge my phone mounted on the windscreen bar and iPad in the frunk (run a USB wire into it from the outlet). Looks good and with the stretchy wire for my charger nothing flopping around.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366464077.498692.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1366464089.426670.jpg

I use this little solar charger/battery to keep my phone alive with GPS on Amazon.com: Scosche Solar Powered Backup Battery and Charger for iPod: MP3 Players & Accessories
Great idea. Thanks. I noticed that link is out of stock. Here's another - bamboo solar power - $35 + $2.50 shipping. I suppose one could mount it on top of one's helmet or on shoulder and power your bluetooth headset! Or if you keep your phone in your top case when you ride, it can be mounted on top of you top case. FWIW, this site has a bunch of fascinating accessories for iPhone (and other) cameras. Either way, I am ordering a couple of these just to have them handy, like when there's a 5 day power outage due to a snowstorm or durecho.

The Photojojo Store!

I've got the dual USB on the bars. Going to add a CIG lighter type inside the frunk instead of USB to have more options. Can always put a dual USB adapter in it but can also use it to power things that require CIG lighter port.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I am amazed at the alternator on the NC700. I run a lot of stuff on this bike every time I start the engine. When I camp at night, something is always charging in the frunk. I use the power attachment from the time the bike leaves the house until I return home, and some times this is for weeks. No complaints here!6.jpg

SmileyElectric.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Along similar lines - not sure if any of you would find this kind of thing useful.
Haven't tried it myself but came across it on Ebay and thought it interesting.
USB Power Oulet.jpg

For those of you just looking to run your GPS off the aux. power supply I'll add my 2 cents worth. I have a cheap-o cig. outlet mounted under the very rear of the air vent cowling on the left side. I have the Garmin plugged in directly to the adapter and it is wired via an inline fuse directly to the battery. I have it wrapped up fairly water light and have never had a problem. However, I have it also run thru a toggle switch. It's much easier to turn on and off. Also I never have and wires to screw with.

As for the wiring for the heated clothing (a vest in this case), that also is run directly from the battery via an inline fuse. It's run thru the bike frame and tucked under the from right corner of the seat. There is about 6" of slack the I an pull out or tuck in.

I've done both of these on multiple bikes over the years and have never had a problem with fuses or wiring.

S5000021.jpgS5000025.jpgS5000026.jpg

>>>When you buy the factory sub-harness, it is a plug-and-play attachment that adds 4 pre-made female sockets for power. You can add anything to them. I'm going to add a male adapter for my aftermarket socket and snap it in, keeping installation simple.<<<

I bought the factory sub-harness, but need a little help:
1) where do you find the male connectors to connect your stuff into the sub-harness? The dealer couldn't find any part numbers or connectors. Any links?
2) where does the sub-harness connect into? I didn't see any matching connectors in the battery compartment.

Great forum here; lots of useful info!
Thx!

Last edited:
1) where do you find the male connectors to connect your stuff into the sub-harness? The dealer couldn't find any part numbers or connectors. Any links?

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/3146-corresponding-connectors.html

2) where does the sub-harness connect into? I didn't see any matching connectors in the battery compartment.

The connector is stuck into a molded recess under the left rear (bottom side) of the storage compartment. You will have to remove the left center cowl to access it.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/3146-corresponding-connectors.html

The connector is stuck into a molded recess under the left rear (bottom side) of the storage compartment. You will have to remove the left center cowl to access it.

Shown circled below.

Subharnessconnector_zps59807ab7.jpg

Back