• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

92.5 Miles Per Gallon Sunrise Ride

I like the thrill of riding as much as the next guy and I don't ride with an eye for high mpg even a fraction of the time but now and then I like a little variety. There are "many flavors" of riding and I like mixing it up now and then. With the NC it has been interesting to see now and then how high mpg I can get but it has been months and thousands of miles since the last hyper-miling attempt. This attempt was spur of the moment..... I saw the temperature and humidity we're almost ISO standard that morning and considered a route that would allow safe progress at 45 to 50 mph for as close to 100 miles that would not hold up traffic and took off. Winds were calm and forecast to remain so during the morning. Standard density and temp allowed the engine to make as much power as possible balanced against higher drag of cool dry air. I see mpg drop in cool temps but 60 degrees F was about as good as it gets.

Recently I've spent some time in cars as disparate as a Porsche Caymen and a 1st gen Honda Insight that had some sort of integrated electronic engine cutoff that stops the engine at stop lights and restarts it as soon as the brake is released or the clutch pedal moves. This ride was about 25% urban roads with stop lights and 75% open roads. I seemed to catch all the lights red so when I approached a red light I clutched in and killed the engine with the thumb switch then downshifted sequentially as speed dropped to first gear then restarting the engine on a green light. This is extreme I know and don't recommend it but it was part of my technique. I would accelerate smartly up through the gears shifting at 3000 rpm and steady the speed at 45 mph. My bike will pull 6th over 40 or so in a steady state but acceleration from there is labored with the rpms only about 2200. Pulling off a light smartly short shifting like this up to 45 mph still leaves almost every car behind on a Sunday morning. Accelerating from 45 mph required dropping one or two gears but honestly in 100+ miles I don't think I encountered the need to. Once the speed was set and the road was open for some distance I set the Go Cruise to hold a steady speed and not vary it. The aerodynamic drag was minimized by staying under 50 mph at all times. Drag increases exponentially as speed increases. I didn't do anything special to the bike and did not crouch down on the frunk to reduce drag. The night before a ride I usually check tire pressure and set it to 36/40. I use 10w30 synthetic engine oil.

The economy run was fun in its own way but as soon as I topped off the tank and headed for the twisties that was fun too.

Last edited:
A wee bit off topic, but you have a KLX25SF too? 2009 or 2010? I've got the '10 blue one. It was my first bike with gears, and I still really enjoy it to this day. Probably won't part with it anytime soon either. You still ride yours often?

And on topic, best i've done on my NC is 75 mpg, but usually in the 60's hah.

The last time (last Thanksgiving) I was in Florida, my wife and myself drove over to St. Augustine to look at some investment property. On the way back, I found a road on the Atlantic side of the St. Johns river and I loves it in the car. I will be down in Gainesville the first week of June and I plan on riding over there and ride that road on either my Nc700x or my klx250sf. Loved that area, told the wife she needed to buy some investment property along the river and I could live there :).

I always get better fuel mileage in the summer than the winter is all my vehicles. It is the blend of fuel along with the temps.

A wee bit off topic, but you have a KLX25SF too? 2009 or 2010? I've got the '10 blue one. It was my first bike with gears, and I still really enjoy it to this day. Probably won't part with it anytime soon either. You still ride yours often?

And on topic, best i've done on my NC is 75 mpg, but usually in the 60's hah.

Yes, I have a 2009 KLX250SF. I live in Indiana, wife lives in Florida (work related). I ride it every time I visit her in Florida (2-3 times a year). I probably will do a fly and ride sometime late summer to get the bike to Indiana-it has been sitting way too long and needs ridden more.
On topic, I have got 80+mpg while riding in the Smokies (last Labor Day weekend).

I don't stop by often because I'm still waiting for Honda NA to bring the NC750X to the US so I can buy it, I tend to be a bit behind.

Great job dduelin, you must be very smooth.

To the comment about break in: If you find some one with skin in the game who says "ride it like you stole it" during break in it will have a lot more weight. Any jerk can set up a web site or post of a forum saying how much he knows and how you should break in a bike. Find a company that has to pay warranty claims saying a hard riding break in is good and I, for one, will be more likely to heed the words. As far as I know everyone who designs and builds bikes and backs them up with a warranty says a gentle break in is the better choice.

Goose

I got to thinking, and that is always dangerous. With my weight being 3 times that of some of you nice folks and driving as fast as I do, you folks should be getting 3 times my gas mileage. Oh, some of you are!6.jpg

SmileyLetThereBeLight.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Whether it's 60 mpg or 90+ mpg, that is still more than nearly every other (if not every other) comparably sized bike on the road today. And that's all we need to know.

Back