2018 NC750X price negotiation

mtnbiker1185

So I was finally able to find a 2018 DCT model about three hours away in another state. The OTD if I finance is $8394. If I pay cash it is $7930, but I will have to take care of tax and tags myself (most likely leaving me with the same price). I figure roughly $2k less than if I were to wait and try to get a 2020 since they are listing the base price at $6981. I am thinking I may just go with it, rent a trailer and drive down to get it. I mentioned that I would have liked the price lower since I was having to drive so far to get it, but they weren't willing to budge.

At this point I am concerned I may not be able to find a 2020 DCT in my area when they do become available since it all seems to be a the whim of what Honda feels like sending. However, I am also wondering how much the price will drop if I hold out longer and the 2020's are officially released. It is winter now so while I would like to think I will ride it a lot, the reality is I could probably wait until March or so and not really lose out on any riding time. Decisions, decisions.

TacomaJD

There was once a time when you could actually get a discount if you paid in cash vise finance. I guess you could always just finance through them and then turn around and pay off the loan right away before they have the chance to collect any amount of interest on it.
I asked if there was any early payoff fees when I was checking on the VFR1200X, and I believe they said no. So I could have financed it and paid it off the following week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
I asked if there was any early payoff fees when I was checking on the VFR1200X, and I believe they said no. So I could have financed it and paid it off the following week.
But the risk for problems is high. Maybe the financing somehow gets screwed up, your credit report becomes a mess, your personal data is sold (“shared”) by the finance company, and every other bank and their dog is harassing you with solicitations. No, thanks. I’m all for getting a good deal, but it’s just not worth playing the finance game to save a few dollars.

Last edited:

mtnbiker1185

But the risk for problems is high. Maybe the financing somehow gets screwed up, your credit report becomes a mess, your personal data is sold (“shared”) by the finance company, and every other bank and their dog is harassing you with solicitations. No, thanks. I’m all for getting a good deal, but it’s just not worth playing the finance game to save a few dollars.
I actually didn't buy that 2018 DCT because of this. When I went to do the credit application they wanted to know the name, address, and phone number of a relative that doesn't live with me. Information that has nothing to do with my ability to pay back a loan. I thought the part of them asking me if I had a checking and savings account and the bank they were with was weird enough. The relative part put me over the top though.

ThomasInUtah

I know the OP has found another bike, but for a point of reference for others in the market I thought I'd share that I just bought a used 2018 NC750X with manual gearbox and 372 miles on the clock in great condition for $5,325 from a private seller.

Jdmwrxpower

I just got my 2019 NC750X DCT ABS delivered today. I paid 8400 OTD. I also lead them to believe I was going to finance the bike and when we agreed on a OTD price I said okay I am going to wait on it while I check a few things. I came back the next day and said okay, let's do the 8400 OTD and he asked for my social and I said no, I have a check for you. He said wow why don't you want to finance? I said because the insurance is much cheaper and from a fiduciary perspective it made the most sense long term. He didn't look to happy but the owner was very nice to me and had me meet the mechanics and parts dept. All great guys. Unfortunately there were not many for sale on the East Coast. I called multiple dealers all across the country and with dealer, mechanic and fees for transport the cost was coming in at 9600-9800 and I did have them break it out line by line. My local dealer ended being the most fair smaller shop and they delivered it to my house. The delivery driver spent a considerable amount of time going through the bike with me. I have peripheral neuropathy from cisplatin treatment and it's bad in my left hand. Manual was out of the question for me. The bike is amazing.