• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X vs NC750X Drivability

Lee Dodge

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I sold my NC700X DCT a couple of years ago and am thinking about getting another NC and have some questions for those who have owned both the 700 and the 750, specifically the 2018-2020 models. I know my 700 could be fairly abrupt when accelerating from a closed throttle. It was difficult to roll into a low speed corner and get back on the throttle smoothly without getting a little jerk as the power came back on. Were the 750's any better in that regard?

How about the difference in drivability between the 18-20 750's and the newest models with throttle by wire?

I sold my NC700X DCT a couple of years ago and am thinking about getting another NC and have some questions for those who have owned both the 700 and the 750, specifically the 2018-2020 models. I know my 700 could be fairly abrupt when accelerating from a closed throttle. It was difficult to roll into a low speed corner and get back on the throttle smoothly without getting a little jerk as the power came back on. Were the 750's any better in that regard?

How about the difference in drivability between the 18-20 750's and the newest models with throttle by wire?
I don’t have enough experience with the 750 to be able to compare it to the 700. So, I can’t answer you questions.

However, I was puzzled about you comment about throttle “abruptness”, as I have never experienced that on my 700s (two different ones totaling over 70,000 miles). Then I realized that you are talking about the DCT version. On my manual transmissions, I use the clutch to smooth the transition from off to on throttle, and to smoothen the takeup of slack in the drive train. With the DCT, that form of clutch control is missing, so the rider needs to have more finesse with the throttle control. Thus, I now understand your concern.

I have no issues with my 750 (never had a 700 but have ridden 3 of them) and like 670 said throttle finesse is your friend, no matter what bike you are riding. Smooth input = smooth output.

I understand that smooth throttle control is important. I can usually ride around it but it still bugs me. The problem is related to emissions tuning. Under closed throttle at low rpm the ecu turns off the fuel injectors completely under deceleration. Then when you
accelerate again you get a little bump as the fuel injectors come back on line. Some bikes are better than others with this. I have had a couple of ECU's remapped on other bikes with good success but no one really does anything for the NC. And newer bikes are usually better, probably due to more sophisticated ECU's and tuning. I had a 2020 CB300R and now have 2023 CB300R. The newer bike has a newer generation ECU and has almost perfect low rpm drivability.

I have had both a 700 and 750 although they were manuals. The differences I noticed were the 750 feels more planted at higher speeds and accelerates more smoothly and with greater ease. The 750 I also thinks it feels wider in the body. I can’t however speak to the DCT programming.

I understand the description of injectors going "dry" under closed throttle then fueling again abruptly when the throttle is opened. The ST1300 has this trait and like 670cc said a good rider uses his clutch, throttle, and brakes to smooth things out. However I've had both manual and DCT 700s and I think the fueling on this bike is very good - that is I've never thought it had anything but a smooth throttle take up. Perhaps Lee's bike is subtly different in fueling from the ones I have owned. (2012, 2013, 2015)

I think that I overlap brake and throttle well when effective and I don't consciously think about it but by imagining there's a rubber band between the rear brake pedal and the throttle if tension is kept on the rubber band it helps reduce the amount of clutch feathering required to smoothly get on the gas out of a corner. Decelerating into a corner the reverse - applying brake slightly before rolling off throttle keeps tension on the rubber band. The simultaneous interplay of brake and throttle works on DCT just as well.

I find Wiley’s throttle transitions abrupt sometimes. I think my issues are mostly (almost entirely?) to do with the fact that I run my chain at the very loose end of spec. Maybe even looser.

I am skeptical that the NC700X cuts fuel at _low_ rpm and throttle closed. It certainly does it at higher rpm, but below, say, 2k rpm? Hmm…

I used to own a 2014 NC700XDCT, and wasn't surprised with the reacceleration hesitation because I had the same issue with my Volkswagen Tiguan. At the time I found a post saying that all DCTs are engineered this way, they are fast switchers but hate to reaccelerate strongly after breaking, taking their time a second or two. On the Tiguan it was a nightmare, but on the NC I was able to improve this behavior a lot by just using higher grade fuel - the engine liked it and smoothed out the reaccelerations. I trust Honda engineering, I bet that they were able to almost eliminate this behavior on the newest NC DCT models, by adding the driving mode setups (acting like sw mods), in additon to Sport 1 and Sport 2. With this change and higher octane gas, the newer models should ride almost like electric.

I used to own a 2014 NC700XDCT, and wasn't surprised with the reacceleration hesitation because I had the same issue with my Volkswagen Tiguan. At the time I found a post saying that all DCTs are engineered this way, they are fast switchers but hate to reaccelerate strongly after breaking, taking their time a second or two. On the Tiguan it was a nightmare, but on the NC I was able to improve this behavior a lot by just using higher grade fuel - the engine liked it and smoothed out the reaccelerations. I trust Honda engineering, I bet that they were able to almost eliminate this behavior on the newest NC DCT models, by adding the driving mode setups (acting like sw mods), in additon to Sport 1 and Sport 2. With this change and higher octane gas, the newer models should ride almost like electric.
I can‘t agree or disagree with your assessment of the NC DCT or the Tiguan behavior, but to say all DCTs are engineered that way is not true. I have a DCT in my Ford car and it is very responsive with no lag, jerkiness, or delay in engine or transmission operation. It even feels more connected than traditional torque converter/epicyclic gear transmissions.

I think the additional mass of a car over a motorcycle tends to smooth drive train operations as well.

Well, I can answer my own question as I bought an NC750X. The roll on from closed throttle is much better than my 700 was. I like it a lot.

Back