• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
50+ miles of mixed back roads, found some new dirt roads that varied from graded to very sandy. Getting better at riding the loose sand, no offs this time despite much drier conditions, some squirrelly dabbing though!

J7KqjrR.jpg

lRsR9F1.jpg

I'd love to be at Mo's.
Friday night there were only 8 riders. Saturday night, only 7. I had the bunkhouse to myself. From Friday to Saturday, only ran into rain between Maggie Valley and Cherokee on Saturday-a 5 minute sprinkle Saturday night at the KL.
A few boring rides in the area:
[video=youtube;QBmdQyRV0JM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBmdQyRV0JM[/video]

[video=youtube;uGG7-8fJvQs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGG7-8fJvQs[/video]

[video=youtube;wyMSSB2x9zI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyMSSB2x9zI[/video]

[video=youtube;UgaSrXbKhnc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgaSrXbKhnc[/video]

[video=youtube;WykBHxw7X-w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WykBHxw7X-w[/video]

Violet owned (if I recall the model correctly) a CB500 in the '70s and '80s. We had a great time talking about motorbiking, and the rural life in Charlo MT, where she's lived since birth for all but a few years.

Flickr

28702427043_a6ad257c2a_h.jpg

I haven't done anything interesting in a while, just back and forth to work. My tkc 80's are doing ok, I made it past the 3000 mile mark, I should be able to get maybe another 1000 out of them. One thing though is they seem to get louder as they wear out. I haven't decided what I'm going to put on next, but it won't be the 80's. No real complaints other than I don't see the off road/dirt enough. a good 80/20 is probably about as aggressive as I need.

I put 245 miles of East TN and Western NC mountain miles on it mixed with paved and mountain gravel. From 7:15 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. and loved every minute of it. Can't wait until Thursday as we'll probably do something like that again.

Attachments

• DSCN0466.jpg
    DSCN0466.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 169
Wait what! Full details please! !!!

Ducati Diavel Carbon

IMG_0894.jpg

Well I finally paid off my NC loan, and... nah, I'm just teasing hee hee forgive me :eek:

I got a test ride invite from Ducati NA and if you took any model out for a spin, you get a free Leatherman Rev multi tool with Ducati anniversary branding on it. So, what the heck thinks I, that sounds like good fun all around. :D

In "Urban" mode (100 hp) it felt quite sluggish and honestly, the NC700X has better right off the throttle bottom end oomph and acceleration right up to redline, where the Diavel takes a lot longer to wind up, it felt to me. It hated rolling on the throttle from below 3,000 rpm. Bucked and coughed and shuddered. That really surprised me.

Switching to "Sport" mode upped it to 160 hp I think, and ya, that was much better, lol :eek:

It feels tiny riding it, but kind of comfy- nice reach to the handlebars, and the foot pegs were only a tiny bit further forward than my X. Seat was scooped out but soft and cushy. My suspension is much better, heh heh ;)

All in all it was fun for about 20 minutes, but then I thought what was the point, really? Kind of a heavy (hydraulic) clutch pull. Would suck in heavy traffic. Honestly like the sound of my NC with it's slip on muffler better! Any throttle opening large enough to out accelerate the NCX in town with traffic all around, would mean instant doom if caught, with fines, confiscation, points, and licence being taken away, so that did nothing for me.

I can't picture it as being a super fun touring machine, and it handled really weird, like it had a steering damper pegged on full stiff, yet it would then fall into a corner with alarming suddenness once the bars were turned. Strange, hard to describe really. Did not like the feel of that at all.

Killer brakes! They felt like a superbike's, but a bit sudden and grabby.

Ducati Diavel Carbon

View attachment 30931

Well I finally paid off my NC loan, and... nah, I'm just teasing hee hee forgive me :eek:

I got a test ride invite from Ducati NA and if you took any model out for a spin, you get a free Leatherman Rev multi tool with Ducati anniversary branding on it. So, what the heck thinks I, that sounds like good fun all around. :D

In "Urban" mode (100 hp) it felt quite sluggish and honestly, the NC700X has better right off the throttle bottom end oomph and acceleration right up to redline, where the Diavel takes a lot longer to wind up, it felt to me. It hated rolling on the throttle from below 3,000 rpm. Bucked and coughed and shuddered. That really surprised me.

Switching to "Sport" mode upped it to 160 hp I think, and ya, that was much better, lol :eek:

It feels tiny riding it, but kind of comfy- nice reach to the handlebars, and the foot pegs were only a tiny bit further forward than my X. Seat was scooped out but soft and cushy. My suspension is much better, heh heh ;)

All in all it was fun for about 20 minutes, but then I thought what was the point, really? Kind of a heavy (hydraulic) clutch pull. Would suck in heavy traffic. Honestly like the sound of my NC with it's slip on muffler better! Any throttle opening large enough to out accelerate the NCX in town with traffic all around, would mean instant doom if caught, with fines, confiscation, points, and licence being taken away, so that did nothing for me.

I can't picture it as being a super fun touring machine, and it handled really weird, like it had a steering damper pegged on full stiff, yet it would then fall into a corner with alarming suddenness once the bars were turned. Strange, hard to describe really. Did not like the feel of that at all.

Killer brakes! They felt like a superbike's, but a bit sudden and grabby.
sounds like fun to check it out. And who's going to pass on a free leatherman

Whew. You had me worried there.

I felt instantly back to "ahhh, perfect" riding away again on my beloved NC.

There's no way I could be convinced to get rid of or trade it in, based on today's test.:)

lol, I did have people staring at me on the Diavel, and a really old Chinese gentleman who spoke no English stopped in his tracks on the sidewalk when I was taking the pictures, and stood there beaming, a huge grin on his face, making all manner of excited sounding approval gestures (and I'm guessing compliments ha ha.) That was very fun to encounter:D

(This is actually an entry from an earlier day... Not including my WR250R riding I've done about 5500 miles of day riding in less than 7 weeks...)

Riding buddy for a day. Quit his job, put all his belongings in storage, and bought a cycle. No itinerary, just out to see North America.

Flickr

29360578365_dc1d276f92_h.jpg

sprayed chain with dupont teflon chain-saver. rode.

30914d1472502076-oil-your-chain-without-center-stand-2016-08-29-13;29;17s-jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Today might be the day to give the NC a rest and go do some WR dualsporting up on the Flathead Reservation. Kinda smoky from some fires in the region, so I'll just post a pic from last year:

Flickr

16920804614_24393848b5_h.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, today I did 240 miles of East TN mountain roads, one which will make the Tail of The Dragon seem simple. This is a hard surface, but not as smooth as the Dragon, has lots of curves, but they're not banked like the Dragon, and a bunch of switchbacks. It goes up and over a mountain. It's name, Grapevine Rd. And yes, did it over and back. This now makes about 600 miles this week so far. Sat. I'll switch out to the cruiser for another day ride for the Vets of the USA. Safe and Happy riding to all.

Well, today I did 240 miles of East TN mountain roads, one which will make the Tail of The Dragon seem simple. This is a hard surface, but not as smooth as the Dragon, has lots of curves, but they're not banked like the Dragon, and a bunch of switchbacks. It goes up and over a mountain. It's name, Grapevine Rd. And yes, did it over and back. This now makes about 600 miles this week so far. Sat. I'll switch out to the cruiser for another day ride for the Vets of the USA. Safe and Happy riding to all.

You got a road # or town it is near so I can find it on google maps and check it out? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back