• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2014 owners - Honda is aware of the trip meters resetting.

• Thread starter Deleted member 3648
  • Start date
It's a bit of a ditherer. It thinks to itself 'oooo is he running out? shall I tell him ? shan't I?' Then it decides. Then it thinks it might have made a mistake (going downhill) so 'Strike that - we are OK fella'. and every time it dithers the display goes back almost to normal then the little guy pedalling the display panics again. Each time there's a dither the count-up of fuel used is reset to zero. When it can't argue with physics any more (the sensor is permanently in fresh air), it counts up properly .... and in my case reliably gives me another 3.6 litres before going poof.
Mike

:D:D ROFL! That's about exactly right!
Yesterday it went from 00, to 0.1, total miles, 0.0, total miles, 0.0, 0.1... I let it get to 0.2 before I fed the l'll guy. (My NCX is a male bike) It'd be nice if the rear tire would last long enough to get the dash done at the same time, but now it's at the wear bars (2500 miles). Another 3-400 miles and I'll have a SLICK! :(

:D:D ROFL! That's about exactly right!
Yesterday it went from 00, to 0.1, total miles, 0.0, total miles, 0.0, 0.1... I let it get to 0.2 before I fed the l'll guy. (My NCX is a male bike) It'd be nice if the rear tire would last long enough to get the dash done at the same time, but now it's at the wear bars (2500 miles). Another 3-400 miles and I'll have a SLICK! :(

This isn't unique to Honda, it happened on my Yamaha as well. I'm not sure if there is a float mechanism in these bikes or not. Yes, mine went to 0.0 yesterday and then reset after some hills and then went steady to 0.0, I made a note of the miles and at 0.1 on the meter, I had gone an extra 9 miles before it went to 0.2. I had gone another 7 miles (16 miles since it started to flash low fuel). I filled up after another 4 miles so it never went to 0.3. If the 'gallons used' it is accurate, and I never totally rely on the 'miles til empty' theory, I had at least 0.5 gallons left. I filled the bike up with 3.2 gallons, so if the Honda specs are accurate and the gas pump is accurate, I had 0.6 gallons left in the tank (remember, the meter said 0.2 so 0.8 gal - 0.2 gal means I had at least 0.5 gallons left. However, I had driven 4 more miles so the meter would have indicated 0.25 or slightly higher, if it could. So despite it resetting to 0.0 after hitting a hill and back to 0.0, it still seemed very accurate to me.

I normally don't let the tank get so low on fuel but since this is the first time I've had a bike that gets over 50 mpg and I've been driving to and from work where I know how far to the next gas station, I feel comfortable getting down to a half a gallon, especially if my wife is home ;)

I have this experience on my new 2014 also. The only number that currently matters to me is the odometer reading. I know the last one from when I filled the tank, can run 200 miles safely, get gas around then and ignore the trip meter resets, too early and inconsistent reserve antics, etc. I will probably get the "fix" on the "service bulletin" and see if the trip computer/trip meter becomes more reliable. When my BMW computer was replaced, they programmed my odometer setting into the new unit. I dislike the "reset to zero" and requirement for disclosure issues on the fork, etc. Otherwise the bike is a lovely animal. I have had no other warranty issues...

When my BMW computer was replaced, they programmed my odometer setting into the new unit. I dislike the "reset to zero" and requirement for disclosure issues on the fork, etc.

I agree 100%

This is my first new bike and I'm keeping it for a long long time, and I want it 'right'.

Apart from the first 6 miles, every mile has been ridden by me, I don't want to glance down and then have to add the 'old' mileage to it.

It would be nice if Honda could do the same as BMW and retain the correct mileage reading, then I'd have the dash replaced.

I just got back from a ride to the dealer I bought it from, they didn't get any specific notice, but when he looked into it he did find there was a service bulletin. The part is supposed to be available so we set up an appointment for Jan 8th, as far as he could see the odometer will be at zero on the new unit. I'll have to write down the mileage at that time so the servicing is done on schedule.

I agree 100%

This is my first new bike and I'm keeping it for a long long time, and I want it 'right'.

Apart from the first 6 miles, every mile has been ridden by me, I don't want to glance down and then have to add the 'old' mileage to it.

It would be nice if Honda could do the same as BMW and retain the correct mileage reading, then I'd have the dash replaced.

I think i might call honda about this again, . I called once, but the they did not tell me that the odometer would be reset. any chance that they are suppose to do what BMW does. if this TSB can last till 2019 like they had told me it would not make any sense that my mileage would be @ zero if i were to replace it 2019

Last edited:
I Just called Honda corporate about reprogramming the odometer to the current mileage. they explained that they will not be able to program it to current reading of your odometer. he did not explain further.

but i think they are capable of doing it. maybe is enough of us call we can make them program it? i know they have the tools

[They will send letters to the owners that allow you to go to a dealer for a "product update", it will tell the dealer what part/s need to be replaced to correct the issue]

Yes, Product Update is the correct name of this type of action. As defined by the DOT, the word Recall is only used if the defect can cause a crash or start a fire but these days, everyone uses "recall" too freely. It's similar to every carbonated soft drink being a "coke." :)

I Just called Honda corporate about reprogramming the odometer to the current mileage. they explained that they will not be able to program it to current reading of your odometer. he did not explain further.

but i think they are capable of doing it. maybe is enough of us call we can make them program it? i know they have the tools

I don't know if this is a Federal or State by State issue. It is illegal in Indiana (or used to be) to tamper with Odometers, used or new, increasing or decreasing the mileage on an odometer, even if the odometer is replaced.

Every state has a little different form, but it is odometer dosclosure at time of sale and you check the box that applies:

Actual = The odometer has always worked properly and recorded all miles the vehicle has traveled.

Not Actual = The odometer statement was not filled out by the owner at the time of sale; the odometer was replaced and set at zero because of a repair; the odometer stopped working and the vehicle was driven more than 30 days before repair; or, the odometer numbers were turned back.

In Excess of Mechanical Limits = The odometer showed 99,999 miles and turned to zero, instead of to 100,000.

^^^^Examples for the wording ^^^^^^
On auto and truck in some states they put a sticker on the VIN plate on the B pillar.

Last edited:

The dealer is the one that would need the tools to reprogram the odometer, as it would need to be set at the time of the meter swap, so as to match the meter unit being removed. Perhaps they already have it, but I think giving dealer service shops the ability to reprogram odometers is not a wise move.

Last edited:
Oh HECK No!!!.... Not the replaced dash odometer nightmare again for me! :mad: I mentioned it briefly on this page here:

Having the dash replaced on the Multistrada made that bike like a Stalking, Psycho EX-Lover who just wouldn't go away and kept looking for some of type of revenge for dumping her!
The issues with the trip meter and fuel gauge don't bother me enough to get it done, or at not done right away, if I have to go through anything like that again. I heard the 2019 time frame. as well, for doing this? Good, I have time to think about it.

Last edited:
I just had mine replaced. We will see how it works. I just rode my bike down to the stealer and told them I was having reset problems. They ordered the part. Didn't have to leave the bike except to have the new part install.

but I think giving dealer service shops the ability to reprogram odometers is not a wise move.

The way this works on the automotive side..........the dealer has the factory issued scan tool. It reads the current odometer reading. Records it by VIN, then rewrites with that recorded mileage to the NEW Odometer to that recorded VIN and meter. The ECM and odometer are married.
They can NOT reset or change the odometer readings. Obviously this odometer security is done to try and stop odometer fraud.

The motorcycle dealers at least on smaller models like the NC700 DO NOT have this ability to rewrite or transfer the odometer readings.

There have been speedometer shops in the aftermarket that may "fix" odometer and speedometers that may use different methods to reset, change or transfer mileage.

Last edited:
hi gooie from Victoria Australia , im booked in next week to have it hopefully fixed,dealer has order some parts and also spoke to Honda aust.they did agree of a problem so fingers crossed ,will let you know how it goes

got my letter from mother honda yesterday that I can call me dealer and schedule an appt to get the dash replaced...like a few others here, I'm thinking it might be more of a headache to get it done than what it's really worth...

got my letter from mother honda yesterday that I can call me dealer and schedule an appt to get the dash replaced...like a few others here, I'm thinking it might be more of a headache to get it done than what it's really worth...

No headache at all, they might even be willing to do it while you wait. Flat rate for the change is .3 hours so it only takes a few minutes. Got mine done a week ago.

No headache at all, they might even be willing to do it while you wait. Flat rate for the change is .3 hours so it only takes a few minutes. Got mine done a week ago.

Good to know! I just got my letter from Honda yesterday and I was happy to see them step up and fix the issue.

It would be interesting to see exactly what part #'ers where changed from 2013-2014. W/O going over every number, 12/13 appear identical, except Magna Red added for 2013.
A part number change means SOMETHING is different. 2014 seems the only year, so far, having this and another issue or 2. Different dash cluster vendor, perhaps?

Last edited:
Back