• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2014 owners - Honda is aware of the trip meters resetting.

• Thread starter Deleted member 3648
  • Start date
I just got off of the phone with my local Honda dealer, Landair here in VT, and was told by the service dept. rep that they had been told by their service contact with Honda that a recall is being sent out to replace the dash units in the US. I relayed what Hondabikepro had posted about how a punch mark will be added to the steering head and a note attached to the VIN on the bikes affected and the rep replied, "Yes, yes that's exactly what we were told yesterday." The rep said I should be getting a letter soon.

Just an FYI, I did NOT get a letter, but my dealer knew I was suffering the re-set problem and when they got the notice, they ordered the meter for me. If ya know you have the problem, I'd go ahead and call your dealer and get one ordered.

Just got back from the new meter being installed, it could take several days or more to be certain of no resets. The one big notable difference, I now have only 56 miles on the odometer; I lost my total miles but the VIN will show it when I go to sell it that it has extra miles.

Just got back from the new meter being installed, it could take several days or more to be certain of no resets. The one big notable difference, I now have only 56 miles on the odometer; I lost my total miles but the VIN will show it when I go to sell it that it has extra miles.

shoot..... that is what i was afraid of... oh well better then having the trip reset. do report back if you can.... we will greatly appreciate it

I just called honda corporate: they explained that all 2014 affected model will need a new dash to fix the issue. they are not considering this to be a recall but a Technical service bulletin.
this TSB will last until Dec 2019.

he also explained that you do not have to wait for the letter to be received in order for you to go in to the dealer. you can go anytime, and is free.

Is there any change in how the dash goes bonkers when the fuel level gets low?

I just called honda corporate: they explained that all 2014 affected model will need a new dash to fix the issue. they are not considering this to be a recall but a Technical service bulletin.
this TSB will last until Dec 2019.

he also explained that you do not have to wait for the letter to be received in order for you to go in to the dealer. you can go anytime, and is free.

That is very good news. It means I can wait until my 8K mile service to bring the bike in. I've gotten used to riding without a functional trip meter.

I don't know what you mean by the fuel gauge going bonkers, I think mine (the old one) was working just fine, just had the trip meter resetting.

I got the letter today from Honda.

I won't be taking the option of a new dash though, unless my trips start playing up again, if the HISS resolution fails.

The last thing I want is a new dash showing zero on the odometer.

I was on the phone with Honda customer service earlier. They called and said I could expect my letter soon about an update to the LCD, but didn't say wheter it was a new dash or a programming update. So I'm in the works too.

Are you under the impression that all 2014 owners will be getting this letter? I hope so. I didn't really want to leave my bike at the dealers for a couple of days as they searched for a intermittent problem. I need to talk to them about my rear tire too. A little over 2000 miles and the damn thing is down to the wear indicators. And I drive very conservatively.

That's exactly the conversation I had an hour ago with Honda customer service lol I called about that darn rear tire, and they told me to expect a letter about updating the dash maybe later this month!

I don't know what you mean by the fuel gauge going bonkers, I think mine (the old one) was working just fine, just had the trip meter resetting.

When the tank on my bike hits reserve the trip meter display on the dash starts flashing on and off and reads zero miles. This is with about a gallon left in the tank.

When the tank on my bike hits reserve the trip meter display on the dash starts flashing on and off and reads zero miles. This is with about a gallon left in the tank.

Might be a good time to review the manual.

Might be a good time to review the manual.

I didn't quite understand the manual myself regarding low fuel. It seemed like I rode around forever with that thing flashing "00' at me, until it finally started counting up. I still don't know quite how far it will get before.....POOF! No more GO-GO. :D I've let it count up to 0.6 so far...

I didn't quite understand the manual myself regarding low fuel. It seemed like I rode around forever with that thing flashing "00' at me, until it finally started counting up. I still don't know quite how far it will get before.....POOF! No more GO-GO. :D I've let it count up to 0.6 so far...

I'd have to double check, but it starts at 0.0 and starts counting up to indicate how many gallons (or liters) of gas you have USED since the reserve light started flashing. I think it will go up to 0.8 gallons before it goes "POOF! No more GO-GO", but I'm not gonna see how accurate it is or isn't, if I can help it. I never trust the meters on my car that says "x miles to empty", if it's low, I fill up.

I have gone through a compete tank of gas without the trip meter resetting so it looks like the problem has resolved, another 180 miles will make me more convinced.

It's a bit of a ditherer. It thinks to itself 'oooo is he running out? shall I tell him ? shan't I?' Then it decides. Then it thinks it might have made a mistake (going downhill) so 'Strike that - we are OK fella'. and every time it dithers the display goes back almost to normal then the little guy pedalling the display panics again. Each time there's a dither the count-up of fuel used is reset to zero. When it can't argue with physics any more (the sensor is permanently in fresh air), it counts up properly .... and in my case reliably gives me another 3.6 litres before going poof.
Mike

Back