• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda Extended Warranty dealer service?

Thangmorian

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For better or worse I elected to get the extended warranty offered by Honda. If for no other reason than the roadside assistance, also I'm a sucka. The question I have is because the dealer stated that the first service must be done at a Honda dealer. Anyone else get the extended warranty and be told they have to take it to the dealer for the first service only? I think he's full of it.

First of all is this a true Honda extended warranty. Many dealers sell the extended warranty though other companies. Most of the other company extended warranty policies are equal to Hondas. You will find this situation usually at multi-line dealerships. The reason is the more volume you sell with one company, the greater the sales commissions become.

Second, having been a Honda dealer for many years, unless this is a new policy Honda has just started, the dealership sales person is full of it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sales folks make their best percentage sales commissions on extended warranties. Call the Honda Extended Warranty help desk for current true answers.

I am not bad mouthing Extend Warranties, as they are a dame if you do, and a dame is you don't policy. No one knows if you will need it or not!

Last edited:
I think the consensus here is 50-50 that first-service work should be done by the dealer so that they can spot any potential problem that may have arisen. I had the dealer do mine and then I started doing my own 'minor' stuff, i.e. oil change, filter work, etc.

I have the extended warranty, the dealer did not tell me that they had to do the first service, but, as part of my deal they agreed to do the first service for free.

A dealer NEVER has to do the first service to maintain the warranty (actually a dealer stating that is breaking federal law in the United States). As long as you have receipts for the oil and oil filter-you are good to go. The 600 mile service check is an oil change, chain adjustment check (pull up and down on the chain) and check all the bolts/screws. There is no valve check at 600 miles.

I am a member of AMA (American Motorcycle Association)-get a nice little magazine each month and as long as you renew via their auto-pay online system, roadside assistance is included.

It is unlawful for any warranty not to cover you merely because you did not have the vehicle serviced at a dealer.

They have to show that your lack of service caused the issue.

If you do your own work, even without receipts, they'll still have to honor the warranty unless they can prove that your work was faulty. Obviously a paper trail helps you in this regard, but is not necessary.

[...that first-service work should be done by the dealer so that they can spot any potential problem that may have arisen...]

I really have no idea what sort of problem will be found and they're certainly not going to send a sample of the drained oil to a lab for analysis. My guess is that the "new boy" in the shop gets to do the simple stuff such as 600 mile service that doesn't include a valve adj. Most times the problem would have to be so glaring that it'd slap them in the face!

A dealer NEVER has to do the first service to maintain the warranty (actually a dealer stating that is breaking federal law in the United States). As long as you have receipts for the oil and oil filter-you are good to go. The 600 mile service check is an oil change, chain adjustment check (pull up and down on the chain) and check all the bolts/screws. There is no valve check at 600 miles.

This F'er said it was valves, etc. Quoted a 2 year old price of $260. Can't wait to pick up my bike tomorrow and tell him to stuff it, and then go whine to the manager. And then the manager of the car dealership too.

It is unlawful for any warranty not to cover you merely because you did not have the vehicle serviced at a dealer.

They have to show that your lack of service caused the issue.

If you do your own work, even without receipts, they'll still have to honor the warranty unless they can prove that your work was faulty. Obviously a paper trail helps you in this regard, but is not necessary.

You guys wouldn't happen to know the U.S.C. on this would you? I'm gonna see if I can find it, but I'm not sure how my Google-fu will be with this.

I am a member of AMA (American Motorcycle Association)-get a nice little magazine each month and as long as you renew via their auto-pay online system, roadside assistance is included.

This is the best deal going. AMA gives you roadside assistance included with membership. It covers ALL your vehicles (except utility trailers). This means your cars, motorcycles, scooters, trucks, RVs, boat trailers. Just can't beat that deal.

I have used the service twice with excellent results. Once with my motorhome and once with a van. Both times they towed them promptly and I didn't spend a penny.

Extended warranties are offered because they are very profitable. But there's need to buy a warranty to get roadside assistance.

Last edited:
The AMA recovery service is a very good deal, indeed. Be warned, though. They may not help you at all if you locked your keys in the frunk. Not saying how I know this.:rolleyes:

Back