• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda extended warranty

Dav2ison

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I’m debating with myself if I should or should not purchase the Honda extended warranty. It would add 4 years of coverage? I’d like to here your thoughts.

I am watching this thread to see what others have to say. I have another 6 months before my initial 1 year warranty runs out. Right now I am thinking that I will not buy an extended warranty. It's a Honda after all and not a ton of technology I am all that worried about. I do have a DCT which might be the only thing I am concerned about. But Honda has been making DCTs a long time now.

I debated this a year ago with my 21 DCT and my factory warranty ran out about 2 weeks ago. I've had a boat load of Hondas (motorcycles, cars, a van, an SUV, a truck, an ATV). Have tens of hundreds of thousands of miles on them. Rarely an issue, and ironically never during the warranty period (steering box went out on my truck a couple months ago but it's 12 years old and the SMC went out on my ST 1300 but it had 110,000 miles on it) so I decided not to buy the extended warranty. If something goes wrong tomorrow, then I messed up lol.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s really needed. I didn’t buy the extended warranty on either of mine at purchase. I figure it’s a Honda. If I wanted to buy an extended warranty I’d get a Triumph.

I don't think extended warranties are a good deal in general but extended vehicle warranties are very expensive for FL residents compared to other states.

I think extended warranties are a very bad deal on any product and I especially wouldn’t advise getting one on a Honda motorcycle. It’s rare you might even need to make use of the standard one year warranty. If something does break in years 2-5, fix it and move on.

Curious how much they are charging for the warranty. There are tools that can be used to calculate the impact/cost of a failure and the value controls (warranty in this case) provide to mitigate the issue. Though I tend to subjectively agree that the extended warranty may not return value while you own the bike, objectively there are cases to be made that support the purchase. Also, it may not add much value to your ownership experience, but it adds substantial value if you sell the bike with a good balance of warranty coverage transferrable to the next owner. If you wanted to fiddle around with failure modes and effects analysis, it could provide the objectivity that is required to make an informed decision.

Curious how much they are charging for the warranty. There are tools that can be used to calculate the impact/cost of a failure and the value controls (warranty in this case) provide to mitigate the issue. Though I tend to subjectively agree that the extended warranty may not return value while you own the bike, objectively there are cases to be made that support the purchase. Also, it may not add much value to your ownership experience, but it adds substantial value if you sell the bike with a good balance of warranty coverage transferrable to the next owner. If you wanted to fiddle around with failure modes and effects analysis, it could provide the objectivity that is required to make an informed decision.
If I was buying a used motorcycle and it had along with it the balance of an extended warranty, in my mind that would not be of any value to me and I would not offer any more money for the motorcycle. Warranties are just promises, and sometimes the promises are empty.

Last edited:
If I was buying a used motorcycle and it had along with it the balance of an extended warranty, in my mind that would not be of any value to me and I would not offer any more money for the motorcycle. Warranties are just promises, and sometimes the promises are empty.
I understand but that is subjective perspective.

I agree with the mod. Warranties often come with gotchas like you pay for some of it, that's not technically warrantied, you didn't read the fine print, etc. I wouldn't pay extra for a lingering warranty on a bike for sale either, they are there for the supplier of it to make money. If you worry about the DCT quitting, now is good chance to learn how to fix it yourself. Probably not as hard to fix as you would imagine.

I agree! Companies don’t like to pay out and if you buy a bike with an extended warranty but no maintenance records it’s iffy if they’ll fix a major engine problem. I’m sure it would cover some cheap to replace item.

I think my point is being completely missed. Some may have valid reasons to dismiss the value of a factory extended warranty. Others may have valid reasons to find tremendous value in the same product. Just that simple. Fine print, what’s covered, what’s not, your skills resources, aptitude, risks, costs, and rewards all need consideration. I don’t purchase extended warranties but it might make sense for someone else to purchase one.

Reactions: MZ5
I only responded because mzflorida said, “but it adds substantial value if you sell the bike with a good balance of warranty coverage transferrable to the next owner”.

I disagree with that, but if it said that the transferable extended warranty “might or might not, depending on the buyer, add value in a resale”, that would be a fair statement.

I’m thinking it won’t matter much on resale. I’m a senior rider who’s planning on keeping this one for a while. I won’t be putting mega mileage on it either. So, I’m not spending the extra $$. I think I’d rather use those $$ for a new windscreen and side bags

Insure that which you cannot afford to lose (or just don’t feel like dealing with if you do lose it).

I debated buying the Honda repair contract on Wiley (my ‘12). I ended up not buying. Hindsight shows I chose wisely. Nothing has broken that I (or some other bonehead) haven’t broken myself.

The point of an extended repair contract (it’s not a warranty in the USA, no matter what the name is) is to provide you with insurance against the very low probability of a covered failure. So, insure that which you cannot afford to lose.

I think my point is being completely missed. Some may have valid reasons to dismiss the value of a factory extended warranty. Others may have valid reasons to find tremendous value in the same product. Just that simple. Fine print, what’s covered, what’s not, your skills resources, aptitude, risks, costs, and rewards all need consideration. I don’t purchase extended warranties but it might make sense for someone else to purchase one.
If a motorcycle is your only means of transport, or you are a rider who actually does high mileages every year, then an extended warranty is likely to make sense. But if you’re like most riders who basically do fairly low mileages and the bike is basically a toy, then I personally think an extended warranty is a waste of money.

Honda warranty rejected covering a rear brake issue under warranty and I have been trying to get an answer as to why, and how to not have the same issue again, from them for the last couple weeks. Last Friday after a couple days over the 5 days I was supposed to have someone contact I was told it still wasn't assigned to someone to review and I should hear from someone Tuesday. Now Thursday. It is sitting in a dealership almost 300km away. At the time had it for just over 2 months, over 3000km on it. The shoe was curved where it (is supposed to) slide on the guide pin. Did it catch on something and the hydraulics pushed the brake shoe it against the disks slightly sideways until it bent the plate thee pads are mounted on? If they are denying it under warranty please explain why. I don't want it to happen again, and if it is my fault what do I need to adjust? The only thing that I could think of to be my fault is if I was riding the brakes at speed, but I don't believe I was.

3 weeks ago I was told that parts calipers, etc, were back ordered and would not be coming in until November. Riding season will be gone. (Hopefully a warm enough day over winter to get it back home. Otherwise will have to leave at my sisters place.) One reason I bought a Honda was that they are supposed to have few problems, but when they do, they have good support, including parts availability. Do get world wide part shortages, and I guess someone has be the unlucky one. But I shouldn't have to follow up with customer relations multiple times.

And to rub it in a little, just received my backordered Shad side cases last week.

Saying all that, I really like this bike. And heard lots of good things about Honda service. So I can chalk this up as being an odd case, or just bad luck, if I would get a call back.

Sorry to hear that sad story. Had considered getting the extended warranty but figured it was a Honda, so why. But also it has been my experience that too often the issue I might have ends up not being covered. Hope they get it all sorted out for you.

Back