• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wrong Way A-Hole Driver, YOU SUCK!

Glad to hear you are ok. sorry to hear about the bike, though that is repairable/replaceable.
heal well, and ride safe.

My condolences for your incident. Glad to hear you're ok and are here posting about your experience. Having a car come straight at you has to be terrifying.

I once lost a pickup truck to that exact same scenario. On another note, this is why I ride with both a helmet cam and a rear view cam mounted on the rear fender. Anyone takes me out, and my wife will be a multi-millionaire!;)

View attachment 27812

Hi Deedub,

What kinda of dashcam is that on the tail? How is it working out for you? For future reference, I might add a dashcam and/or a helmet cam (GoPro Session) in the future.

Tony

Sorry to hear about this incident. Glad to hear that you were able to get off lucky without any serious injuries.

Here in the Los Angeles Area, driving as you described is the norm. Usually it is people in "High-End" cars that think that traffic laws do not apply to them, they are only for the "Poor" follow. I witnessed many times people going into the left turn lanes to race through intersections on solid red lights, lucky there wasn't anyone in the opposing lane at those times.

Feel sorry for the people that these "Numb Skulls" may hurt in their near future.

Hi Deedub,

What kinda of dashcam is that on the tail? How is it working out for you? For future reference, I might add a dashcam and/or a helmet cam (GoPro Session) in the future.

Tony

It's a Monoprice MHD 2.0. It used to be my helmet cam, but I upgraded to a Drift Stealth2 and figured I might as well mount the old cam to the rear fender since I had no other use for it.

I don't actually recommend it (the Monoprice) as a helmet cam - the spherical fisheye lens wastes lots of pixels rendering the 12 inches closest to the camera in glorious high def, at the expense of everything else. Plus it doesn't have a dashcam mode to automatically overwrite the oldest videos with the newest, so you constantly have to remember to delete the files off the card or it fills up. The colors match the bike really nicely though! :D

Last edited:
I was just looking at the Drift Stealth 2 after reading this unfortunate thread. How do you like it?

It pretty darn good. The dashcam mode was the big draw for me, as that way I don't have to remember to clear the card every couple days. But it's also smaller than my old cam, it mounts more cleanly, and the camera lens is rotatable so you can mount it at any angle and still get an upright image. The only significant flaw is the back cover over the ports. It connects with a small finely threaded screw that always wants to cross thread. It always takes several tries to get it to close.

I am glad that you are ok, I work in the insurance industry. and handle hit and run on the regular bases.

i had made a post earlier in the year of the importance of dash cameras in your cars and motorcycle, everyone on this forum should learn from this and make some changes. spend some money a camera. it will be useful. i promise.

B40 Pro Capacitor Version A118C Novatek 96650 H 264 HD 1080p Car Dash Camera DVR | eBay

^ i use this one both on my car and NCX. both attaches to the windshield, quality is great.

I am glad that you are ok, I work in the insurance industry. and handle hit and run on the regular bases.

i had made a post earlier in the year of the importance of dash cameras in your cars and motorcycle, everyone on this forum should learn from this and make some changes. spend some money a camera. it will be useful. i promise.

B40 Pro Capacitor Version A118C Novatek 96650 H 264 HD 1080p Car Dash Camera DVR | eBay

^ i use this one both on my car and NCX. both attaches to the windshield, quality is great.

Waterproof?
I mounted a Go-Pro type to a good handlebar mount and the vibration made the image ridiculous. Windshield is better huh?

I plan on putting an Innovv K1 camera system on my bike. $265 and seems to check all the right boxes for front and rear cameras, continuous loop and event recording.

Does anyone have any experience with recorded video being used as evidence to get a better insurance settlement?

If it can prove who is clearly at fault, capture plates of hit and run drivers and other bad behavior then I think it'd be worth it.

Double edged sword though, if you screw up, it's also documented....

Waterproof?
I mounted a Go-Pro type to a good handlebar mount and the vibration made the image ridiculous. Windshield is better huh?

not quite, but i have ridden in the rain with it, no issues. seal some of the holes in it with silicone, the way the windshield sit at an angle it prevent it from really getting wet.

Feel your pain. Glad YOU are OK. OCR is correct. Every rider should carry uninsured and underinsured. Costs me around two bucks a month with State Farm. Had it 23 years ago when I was involved in a hit and run. Paid ALL my medical bills, paid for bike and gear less $500 deductible, and extra for "pain and suffering". Hoping you heal well and they catch the bastage.

FYI, this varies by state. From what I can tell, most states are actually the other way. You cannot use the uninsured.underinsured coverage in a hit and run. It sucks that the law sides with the hit-and-runner rather than the victim. I only discovered this after being hit in Indiana a few years ago. Driver ran and I couldn't use that portion of my insurance coverage. The hospital billed exactly to the penny the max amount they could get from the insurance company. It's all a scam.

UPDATE:

I am back to 100%. With the holidays and craziness at work in the first part of January, I wasn't able to find time to get back to the NCX. Just this past week, I was able to hoist up the bike and take off the forks. At this moment, I was able to tallie up the damage. I am a bit surprised at what got damaged and what didn't. Obviously, I haven't tear off the body panels to see if the frame is damaged or not. That's probably more important than anything else.

So far, here's what I found:
- Front fork bend. Obviously, that's the first point of impact. The fork tubes are bend to a point that the front tire is rubbing against the engine and exhaust.
- Fender is gone. So is the cowl, in front of the exhaust header. To my surprise, that's pretty much the extend of the damage to the front end. (SO FAR)
- Handlebar is bend, huge scratches to the handguards, the anti-vibrate parts inside the handlebar is ripped out. Brake lever is gone. Weird that the ignition unit is broken. I am not able to turn the key. The right mirror is busted. That's about it to the controls.
- Scratches on the right side, includes to the exhaust pipe. Brake foot lever is bend. I think the handguard, exhaust and top case took most of the impact and saved the body panels. Hopefully the frame is good shape.

WP_20160118_12_32_38_Pro.jpg

The fork tubes are bend. One of them are cracked halfway. Now here's the fun part... Since the tubes are bend, I can't retrieve the internals - spring, pipe seat, rebound spring, etc. Everything is stuck. I had to cut the fork tube with an angle grinder. Now that everything is out, I was able to examine al the internal part. So far, I think all the bushings and seals are still good. Very surprising, consider the fork took a direct shot from a car and the only thing I need to replace is the fork tube.

However, in cutting the fork tube, I went a little too far and accident grinded off part of the spring. Do you think I'd be ok with the spring or replace it?

WP_20160122_20_11_43_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
spring is scrap. I wouldn't use that now its weak and will snap and I'm sure you dont want the same thing happen again.

Believe me, the bushings and seals are toast. The bushings in particular will be compromised by an impact like that. With forks that bent, I would also be questioning the frame's integrity at the stem head.

Back