• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

wiring in a GPS

It's not a mission... it's just the only approach I am familiar with or understand very well.
Things I don't understand:
1) where one buys this harness? (Mr. Google will help with that shortly)
2) how to install this harness? ( Can that really be easier than tapping an existing wire?)
3) how to connect two bare wires red/black to the harness. solder? tape?

I'll go and ask Mr. Google now and see what there is to see.

Here is a link to the Honda frunk power outlet accessory. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12332681/Honda%20Install%20Instructions/12V%20socket.pdf. The frunk outlet also requires the accessory relay and the accessory harness that we talked about. So read these directions but ignore the actual frunk outlet steps, and you'll see what it take to install the harness and relay. Basically you plug the relay into a socket in the fuse box, along with a new fuse that's packaged with the relay. You remove the left side cowl and plug the harness into an existing connector that's tucked in under the frunk. That's it.

To connect your GPS wires to the harness, for the most crude approach you can cut off one of the four accessory jacks on the harness and just butt splice your two wires to theirs. Or, for a much better approach, you buy the mating plugs that match Honda's connectors (read about them here) and then you just plug your cable into the Honda harness - very neat and professional.

The harness and relay are Honda parts available at any Honda dealer or any online Honda parts seller. The prices below are from Procaliber.com. Most dealers will likely charge a little more.

08A70-MGS-D30 KIT, RELAY SET $9.95
08A71-MGS-D30 KIT, SUB-HARNESS $19.96

Last edited:
If you don't want to go to the tail light here is another option. Under the left panel, where its already been mentioned, is the connection to the wiring harness for an OEM item such as the power socket. Even if you don't have the harness, the plug is there. You'll see it plugged into the bottom of your storage box. It's actually just a holding place if not in use. If you pull that out, you'll be able to use a test light to find a positive wire on with the key. Only possible issue is, you may need the OEM relay and fuse that is part of the "kit" when purchasing the OEM Power Socket. It does have its own part number, so I'm pretty sure you can buy it like that and it should be cheap. Includes a relay that plugs into your fusebox, and one fuse. Also, you'll see a bunch of ground wires under that side mounted to the bike. I just tapped into there for my mods. Since I have the Power socket, I already had the harness, so I easily found power there, although I am not running my GPS from that, I am triggering a 12v relay so the power goes right from the battery, through a fuse, to a secondary power socket, to my Garmin. Life is good when you do things right. Use relays and dedicated fuses and you won't overload your fusebox.

Keep in mind, if the GPS is the only item fed from that harness, then you probably won't need another fuse and relay. Just check everything first.

Good luck

Strat,
I just wired in a handlebar outlet for phone/GPS so I'm posting some photos. The outlet assembly came from eBay for $10 and has an inline fuse holder (can be seen on the left along the clutch cable. It came with enough wire to get down to the Honda add-on accessory wiring harness. I bought the connector blocks that craigmri showed us and crimped on the two lugs included with the connector. Then I just plugged the new connector right into the Honda accessory harness. The power to the outlet is switched off and on with the key switch via the Honda add-on accessory relay.

This is the clean, "right" way to add a switched power source for a GPS. I fused this new outlet via it's inline fuse holder at 1 or 1.5 amps. This is just for light accessories rather than a place you would connect an air compressor. I can do the air compressor via my frunk outlet which has separate power routed from the battery via heavier wire.

ETA: StratTuner, I realize you have a USB power cable already; I'm just showing an example of how you could wire in your cable.

100_6627.jpg100_6634.jpg100_6644.jpg100_6642.jpg100_6641.jpg100_6635.jpg

Last edited:
That does look good.but if he doesn't have risers could he still place it there.I don't see the Honda bracket in middle of your bars.maybe I'm looking at it wrong,but I like it.

That does look good.but if he doesn't have risers could he still place it there.I don't see the Honda bracket in middle of your bars.maybe I'm looking at it wrong,but I like it.

True. StratTuner said he already has a USB cable he can use. The main point of my post is mostly to answer how he could wire it into the bike. I later edited my post to make that more clear.

Last edited:
Back