• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

WILL THE NC 700 SURVIVE-Questions?

It will survive and thrive.
Honda has hit a four bagger with the 700 series of bikes.
Great bikes for a huge segment of riders, new and old to the sport.

Although I haven't seen many NC700's in my neighborhood, my dealer had 3 when I got mine and a second was gone shortly after I got mine. The one left was knobbied up and accessorized to the max. I have no fear of this bike disappearing and if they did, ours would become more prized simply for their MPG figures alone. I commute 100+ miles a few days each week in Breaking Bad country to Santa Fe. I have no problems keeping up with I-25 traffic and zip up to 85 to get by the big rigs, no problem. In fact, all the road construction has me excited to ride to work because I like to see if I can get some air on the road transition seams. Not much so far, but it's fun trying. The last tank of regular got 74 mpg too. I usually want used bikes, but the lower rate from the manufacturer made it an easy choice. This was the bike I had been waiting for and I am going to have it for a long time.

To weigh in.... I believe the nc700 is hear to stay. Since 1995 I've had over 10 bikes. All sizes up to 1400cc. I've had a v-strom 1000, interceptors, 1250 Suzuki bandit, bmw 1150rs. I love my nc700X. I love the comfort, handling, weight, tank storage, and I got a nice cee-bailey windshield, hand guards, and added a top box in rear that holds one helmet. It's just perfect for my needs.
True the bike has light power, but plenty for what I need. It gets 65 to 70 miles per gallon and gas is $3.84 in Ohio!!!!! If there were two changes I would make at Honda is a better seat that does not dive you into the tank, and put dual front disc brakes on front. I did not go ABS. For what I paid for my new 2012 in February 2013, I feel the 700 delivers for me.

The New Concept is really an improvement on an old concept. The old British twins and singles were all based on long stroke, slow revving, high torque engines - with added features such as oil leaks and weak cranks. They were flexible to ride and very economical.

The NC has reasonable power output and performance, good enough handling and braking and a sensible service interval.

The DCT is an added bonus - especially for somebody like me with a busted left ankle.

It is unlikely to change the market but it will almost certainly create a new segment that will enjoy a good following.

To weigh in.... I believe the nc700 is hear to stay. Since 1995 I've had over 10 bikes. All sizes up to 1400cc. I've had a v-strom 1000, interceptors, 1250 Suzuki bandit, bmw 1150rs. I love my nc700X. I love the comfort, handling, weight, tank storage, and I got a nice cee-bailey windshield, hand guards, and added a top box in rear that holds one helmet. It's just perfect for my needs.
True the bike has light power, but plenty for what I need. It gets 65 to 70 miles per gallon and gas is $3.84 in Ohio!!!!! If there were two changes I would make at Honda is a better seat that does not dive you into the tank, and put dual front disc brakes on front. I did not go ABS. For what I paid for my new 2012 in February 2013, I feel the 700 delivers for me.

It's good to hear that someone with a broad experience of motorcycles likes the NC700x!

short story. I was out near Oceanside, in traffic, and watched a sport back dart in and out of cars. Later, down at Pacific Coast Highway, I saw the rider sitting on a curb, head in hands, with little bits of his red rocket high rev bike scattered on the pavement. Now I understand that riding.... that way... is a choice and may be done on ANY bike, but I also thought.... he was plugged in to the "crotch rocket" mindset. Maybe on an NC he might not have wanted to show the world how fast and loud he was?.... Just a thought... I like the VIBE of my NC.

On holiday in Italy I picked up a copy of Motociclismo, a local bike magazine. They just published the June sales results. In second place for motorcycle sales, after the R1200GS was the Honda NC700X (3rd was the KawasakiZ750/800 & 4th was the Ducati Multistrada.

It drops down the league table when scooters are included - the various Honda SH models sell about ten times as many units and the NC700X is 11th best selling two wheeler overall (the Integra version also sells well and fits in 14th place in the two wheeler sales league).

The bike seems to have established a fairly solid market position over here - but it's sobering to read the overall market statistics here. The overall market has dropped by 62% since 2008 and the reporters are sounding optimistic because June 2013 was "only" 23.38% lower than a year ago.

That is correct. Motorcycle sales have been to the other end of the great pendulum sense 2007. In my life the great pendulum swings back and forth about every 20 years. It will turn around and start winging the other direction soon. Just the nature of the beast!

It's not too surprising - the market's highly sensitive to economic circumstances. Good growth & confidence = good sales, poor economy & worry about jobs = bad sales.

What happened here is frightening though. A bunch of stupid politicians in the late 90's decided they wanted Italy to be in the Euro at all costs. They knew then, as did anybody else who bothered to look at the circumstances, that putting inflationary Italy together with productivity generating Germany in the same currency would eventually wreck the Italian economy. Prior to 1999 Italian inflation had no real significance in the World because the Lira devalued against the D-Mark and the italian inflation was neutralized in global terms.

It's a shame we keep on electing politicans. Personally I think electrifying them would be more sensible. About 15,000 volts should do for starters.

The old British twins and singles were all based on long stroke, slow revving, high torque engines - with added features such as oil leaks and weak cranks.

yep and if ya get lost retrace your way home by just following the oil leaks.

On holiday in Italy I picked up a copy of Motociclismo, a local bike magazine. They just published the June sales results. In second place for motorcycle sales, after the R1200GS was the Honda NC700X (3rd was the KawasakiZ750/800 & 4th was the Ducati Multistrada.

It drops down the league table when scooters are included - the various Honda SH models sell about ten times as many units and the NC700X is 11th best selling two wheeler overall (the Integra version also sells well and fits in 14th place in the two wheeler sales league).

The bike seems to have established a fairly solid market position over here - but it's sobering to read the overall market statistics here. The overall market has dropped by 62% since 2008 and the reporters are sounding optimistic because June 2013 was "only" 23.38% lower than a year ago.
Are those EC sales figures or just Italy?

The figures are just for Italy. Northern Europe has been struggling the last few years as well (except for Germany, who may well have their own crunch in the next couple of years).

Southern Europe generally is in depression. Italy was always the biggest two wheeler market in Europe - but it's gone from about 240,000 units in June 2009 to about 92,000 in June 2013.

Europe wide sales statistics for bikes are not that widely published - but the Italian trade have a long tradition of publishing quite detailed sales data.

I believe all established consumer markets where the motorcycle is viewed less as primary transportation and more as recreational or elective to a car had large drops in sales volume after 2007. The US market lost 60% of sales volume between 2006 and 2010.

I had read recently where the NC700X was 2nd in sales to the BMW GS in the European market plus the UK so I wondered if your numbers were bigger than Italy.

not that fuelly is a source of record for how many motorcycles are out there... (more a source of record for how many MPG conscious owners there are of various makes and models...)

But there are 226 NC700x on fuelly...

Number to beat to get into the top 10 is 231 (6 more and we are there)
Fuelly alone suggests that the most recent bike currently in the top 10 started manufacture around 2006, and the oldest is 1985....
Cracking into the top ten with a bike that is 2 years old seems like an accomplishment and suggests very good sales (or sales to people who are very conscious about their gas milage, I think it's probably a good measure of both)

And of course, there is also the part some of you old farts (intended as a sign of respect, towards my gassy elders) might miss: new riders are buying NCs... I got it in part because a new NC cost the same as a used v-strom... I could get two NCs for the cost of one new zero DS (which was on my list despite it's outrageous cost, and I still might get one at some point in the distant future...) I thought I wanted a dual sport, but the NC was much more realistic (I'm rarely going to take this bike off road, and when I do it probably won't be for several thousand more miles, in which time I can get some DS tires)

Overall it's a rational choice, which is all lots of new riders have to go on (because lots of places won't let you test drive a bike, and lots more won't once they hear you just passed your MSF course and got your license the day before)

I can tell you I saw the same thing. The dealer I was talking to mentioned the old NT and how poorly it sold in the US. He had talked about that being its downfall and they went a slightly different direction. He said the NC seemed to be doing better, but honestly this was less than a month ago and I was able to pick up the 2012 DCT (and he had a 2012 manual in stock, too). He said he wanted to move it to get the '13 in stock, but he didn't really come way down on the price, either.

I don't know... I can't imagine why this bike wouldn't succeed, though. So cool!

I bought my bike from a dealer in Searcy, AR. At the time he had two NC's. I bought one of them which left him one. I went back for my initial service and he had a couple 2013's. Either he is very optomistic or He's pretty sure they will sell. I'm coming up on my 4K service and plan to ask the sales manager how well they are selling.

Here's what I typically see happen with the NC. I am formulating this based on youtube video's I watch, and forums I've read.

Seems a lot of people choose to leave the NC because of lack of power. They see these sport bikes, and are easily intimidated. Another situation is when fellow bikers poke fun at the NC, calling it a bi-curious scooter or something of that nature. I've seen a couple riders upgrade to a crotch rocket for this reason alone. The only other scenario I've seen, is short riders tend to get rid of the NC because of it's taller stance and have issues touching the ground, which if they rode the bike before buying... One would think they knew that before buying. I think a lot of the reason there are so many used NC's for sale is because people didn't take the time to do their research on the NC, and ride one before they bought it. They went into it expecting "a" and got "b".

Where the NC gets it right is the fuel economy and the daily commute. That is really where the NC is sticking it to the competition, as well as the ever so handy frunk. Also throw in the easy maintenance, and you have a great all around bike at the cost of a little performance loss. Big deal. My NC is here to stay.

Last edited:
I'm not so worried about sales figures in the U.S. It's actually kind of surprising that Honda is selling it here. Seems like one of those bikes you would read about for the European and Asian market and envy from afar. The more I ride it, the more I enjoy it. It's not perfect, but as folks show on these forums, you can improve several things with some online shopping and garage time.

...a lot of the reason there are so many used NC's for sale...

Really? Things must be a lot different in MI than here in AZ. The dealers seem to have one new one on the floor but as for used, when I bought mine, there were two on Craigslist - one at a dealer and one private. I bought the one at the dealer & not sure what happened with the other (sold it, kept it). But since I bought mine in late June have not seen any used ones posted. A look at Craigslist just now only shows a couple of dealers up in the Phoenix area selling new ones. Now if I were looking for, say, a HD Sportster, there are pages of them.

Is it doomed? DEFINATELY! I bought one. I have a knack for buying odd vehicles. A diesel Rabbit, a Saturn Vue, a Buell, and my last bike was a BMW Xmoto. (only came to the US one year) I loved the BMW, but the backpack was getting old. I work for 12 hrs and take my Ipad, junk food and fresh clothes to work. The mileage is going to be about the same as my Xmoto and the "frunk" works for me. One complaint. Wish it had a belt instead of a chain.

Back