• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

WILL THE NC 700 SURVIVE-Questions?

Back to the original question, the Honda rep that was speaking at the last WingDing said the average run of their motorcycle models is 8 years. So if the NC is average, it's life as a current model is already half over.

Well, the NT700V did not last 2 years in the US Market. I would have gotten one these, but it was gone before I could make up my mind to get one.

honda-nt700v-1.jpg

The ST1300 has been in production 2002 worldwide and once removed in 2010. It's still on the books for Police Duty. These are mostly likely 2010 models... :confused:

Now that I got both "NaNCy" and "Sparky", I do not need either of these...

The fate of the NC700/750 family of products is in the hands for corporate marketing experts and the bean counters. It may quietly disappear into the shadows and something else will replace it. The Africa Twin could be a good candidate at this point than any other. For sure it will not me the NM4.

It is a given that "DCT" will live on in other models. What those models will be, only the future will let us know that when it feels it is right to do so.

All we can do is cross our fingers and hope for the best at this point.

Electric and Hybrid Motorcycles could be Honda's need big move or their next "Shunk Works" project. One can only hope that they come up with something both experienced and new riders alike will want to ride and lust after... :confused:

The NC might go away in the US but it is still a best seller in Europe.

I'm surprised automatics are not more common, but motorcycles are behind the times. Look how long they hung on to carburetors and how long it's taken for ABS to become somewhat common.

I wonder how much of this is Harleys fault? I'm serious, their customers seem to have an abject fear of anything half way "modern" such as water cooling.

The NC might go away in the US but it is still a best seller in Europe.

I wonder how much of this is Harleys fault? I'm serious, their customers seem to have an abject fear of anything half way "modern" such as water cooling.

It is Harley's "fault" in a sense that they are marketing geniuses. They are able to market a lifestyle, and the ticket to that lifestyle is a motorcycle, albeit one with technology hung over from the distant past. In their marketing model, having a modern, refined machine in order to make sales is not necessary.

The 20 or 30 percent of US buyers that want a modern, refined motorcycle are left with fewer choices than buyers in Europe.

Last edited:
Well, the NT700V did not last 2 years in the US Market. I would have gotten one these, but it was gone before I could make up my mind to get one.

The ST1300 has been in production 2002 worldwide and once removed in 2010. It's still on the books for Police Duty. These are mostly likely 2010 models... :confused:
:confused:

Not to be too picky but .......there was and still is 2012 ST1300 model. Unfortunately it looks like Honda still has 2010 and 2012 St1300 new in warehouse stock. So there is no wonder why there was no 2013, 2014 or 2015 models.

2012 ST1300 ABS Overview - Honda Powersports

Models go away when they no longer sell, simple economics and history continues to repeat itself in a very finicky US market.

Last edited:
[I'm old enough to remember when automatic transmissions in cars were almost always an option rather than standard. It will take much longer for automatic transmissions to become really common for motorcycles]

Hard to say for sure but I'd guess that among younger "newbies" the DCT models might hold a lot of appeal. And maybe they'll go on to full manual models or maybe they won't. Older riders who came up through the ranks see the DCT as mostly unnecessary but how much longer will they be motorcycle customers?

There is a real resistance among many customer to buying an 800 cc bike when just for a bit more, they can have a 1000-1200 cc bike, mainly because bragging rights are so important.

My brother who is 76 and scoffed at me saying he has no need for an "automatic" on a bike. Or in his truck for that matter. Heh. My sons just bought NC x models because it is "manly" to shift I guess. I could not convince them to get the DCT. Not even using the ABS argument. Kids are stupid. I went with the DCT because I wanted to try it. I am glad I did. If I continue to ride more and more I will lust for a Kawasaki Concourse with a DCT. Gawd that would be awsome. Would like it back as a 1000cc though.

I'm surprised automatics are not more common, but motorcycles are behind the times. Look how long they hung on to carburetors and how long it's taken for ABS to become somewhat common.

With the latest versions of automatics (Honda DCT) coming on the scene, the change is just now beginning. The percentage of automatic models offered right now is very small.

As for big bikes and Harley's, it proves how the power of marketing can convince people to want something that's not really appropriate for them.

Spot on.

honda-nt700v-1.jpg

The fate of the NC700/750 family of products is in the hands for corporate marketing experts and the bean counters. It may quietly disappear into the shadows and something else will replace it. The Africa Twin could be a good candidate at this point than any other. For sure it will not me the NM4.

It is a given that "DCT" will live on in other models. What those models will be, only the future will let us know that when it feels it is right to do so.

Electric and Hybrid Motorcycles could be Honda's need big move or their next "Shunk Works" project. One can only hope that they come up with something both experienced and new riders alike will want to ride and lust after... :confused:

Gawd......that is gorgeous. Pant, Pant.....

It is Harley's "fault" in a sense that they are marketing geniuses. They are able to market a lifestyle, and the ticket to that lifestyle is a motorcycle, albeit one with technology hung over from the distant past. In their marketing model, having a modern, refined machine in order to make sales is not necessary.

The 20 or 30 percent of US buyers that want a modern, refined motorcycle are left with fewer choices than buyers in Europe.

It's a shame how few people can think for themselves.

LONG LIVE THE DCT!!! (actually it will become the norm as you all must know)

I almost purchased a new leftover one last year but the dealer wanted way to much for it IMHO, it was about $10,700 US if I remember correctly. I'm glad I waited and picked up a nice used 2012 NC700x. Love this bike a little more every time I ride it.

The NT700 and the Trans Alp both sold very well in Europe but not here in the US. I see the NT as a worthy successor to the Pacific Coast, another model that did not sell here. I seriously considered a NT700 but could not find one before buying the NCXD

the ntv honda have discontinued this model now.
as for the DCT I think that will eventually become standard in Honda line up.
no doubt others will follow.
just wish they would put the engine in the old style frame like kawasaki w800.
I would buy one..
2013-kawasaki-w800-9_600x0w.jpg

the ntv honda have discontinued this model now.
as for the DCT I think that will eventually become standard in Honda line up.
no doubt others will follow.
just wish they would put the engine in the old style frame like kawasaki w800.
I would buy one..
2013-kawasaki-w800-9_600x0w.jpg

I hope that the W800 is not history repeating itself. The W650 was a huge disappointment, that's what all the owners told me about the bike.

2015-yamaha-sr400-makes-it-to-the-us-in-may-photo-gallery_1.jpg

The Yamaha SR400 is the best "Retro" re-introduce I've been so far. I would buy one, if I were into Yamahas. Kudos to Yamaha for "Nailing" this one.

The kickstarter only will hurt its sales with any new riders. I am "Old School" and would not bother me...

I think the DCT is here to stay. Having ridden motorcycles for 40yrs and driven for 42yrs, I have seen automatic transmissions evolve from the 2spd powerglide to modern 6spd dual clutch autos with paddle shifters. 94% of cars have auto trans. The manual transmission is fast becoming a thing of the past, for better or worse.

I have seen automatic transmissions evolve from the 2spd powerglide to modern 6spd dual clutch autos with paddle shifters. 94% of cars have auto trans. The manual transmission is fast becoming a thing of the past, for better or worse.

What is going away is the performance penalty of an automatic. Even with "decent" automatic transmissions like the GM Turbohydromatic 400 or the Dodge Torqueflite there were performance penalties vs. manual transmissions, namely a limited number of gears and limited launch control. The first serious drag racing automatic was a standard clutch in front of three Lenco 2-speed automatics to make a 4-speed. Now, as you say, with 6 (and 7,8,and 9) speeds, plus the DCT (and launch control on the faster variants) the performance penalty is now with the manual.

I believe that automatics are here to stay. It remains to be seen whether the DCT gets uprooted by something better. It won't matter though. Better is better. No need getting romantic about how we shift gears. Folks like that (me included) can just keep an old bike or two around for when they feel nostalgic. The old stuff does indeed have its charm. It takes you back to a calmer, simpler day. The old machinery has a relaxed feel, and you can look at it and tell if something is broke without consulting with electrons.

Keep an eye on CVT's though. That might be the highest performer of all if they ever sort out the wear and mechanical efficiency issues. They are coming into their own in cars now as well. The Husky 390 of the 1970's was an ideal dirt bike (CVT) transmission when it was't broken. Just disassemble it and replace the one way Sprague bearings after every race and it would be fine (maybe). If it was running, no-one could stay with it because it was always in the right "gear". I had a Yamaha TMax with (as many others) a CVT belt transmission. It couldn't attain the fuel economy of a DCT because of less mechanical efficiency, and the belt replacement was a pain, but it was always in the right "gear" as well. Mine embarrassed a couple of high zoot Ducati riders gaily attired in white/red/green racing leathers (city boys from Atlanta, I think) so badly on US 60 that they wouldn't even pull in at T.W.O. when they finally got there. The CVT doesn't have the un-nerving trait of making gear changes during technical cornering maneuvers. It just goes gradually where it needs to be. Always ready.

Who's up for a fuel/electric hybrid with an efficient CVT? I say "fuel" because it may be anything from diesel to hydrogen. Or maybe a motor-generator setup like a diesel-electric locomotive? I guess my point after all that is that I don't think the DCT is "here to stay" but I do think that the manual geared transmission has a limited future.

Last edited:
Rotary dial telephones worked well but try to find one today.:D
A friend was with his teenage daughter in an antique store. She saw an old rotary phone and asked how it worked. She then exclaimed "That is why we say 'dial a number!'"

Getting old when the things we grew up with are in antique stores. Worst for me was going to San Diego and seeing CV41 at the pier and then realizing the aircraft carrier Midway is now a museum. I sailed with the Midway for 3 years out of Yokosuka, Japan.

I will never like a CVT. An engine that revs up & sits there just sounds wrong to me.

I can agree that it sounds strange, but when you open the throttle, the engine sits at the RPM for max power and ramps the transmission ratio to accelerate rather than holding the transmission and ramping the engine RPM through areas where it is not a powerful. If you make minor throttle changes it does not "rev up" so much. IT can also rev down quite easily when the power requirements are low.

I think the DCT is here to stay. Having ridden motorcycles for 40yrs and driven for 42yrs, I have seen automatic transmissions evolve from the 2spd powerglide to modern 6spd dual clutch autos with paddle shifters. 94% of cars have auto trans. The manual transmission is fast becoming a thing of the past, for better or worse.
What I mean about the "DCT" is the NC700x DCT. sorry should I should have specified

Back