• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

When to start lubing a new chain?

dakotamiles

Reaction score
Visit site
I appreciate the various threads here about chain maintenance. Particularly since I was doing it wrong with my original chain! It was starting to develop tight links after 8k miles due to solvent abuse - I had been cleaning it with gasoline because I didn't think enough about what I should use. I thought I knew. Hah. Today I just replaced the chain with a new RK 520 XSO series chain. New sprockets too!

The new chain is covered with sticky white grease so I wiped the bulk of the grease off of the sides and outer edge of the links.

I presume that grease will be okay for awhile, like maybe 100 miles or more, although it's going to collect dirt more quickly than the chain lube I use. How soon do y'all start lubing your chain? Do you lube the chain when you first install it? Or do you let the grease kind of collect dirt first? How do you decide? Does it matter?

By the way, I also just learned about the Grease Ninja special chain lube tool. It seems like a really good idea but I haven't used it yet.

It rides on the chain and deposits the lube where you want it. It looks like this:

gj on chain.jpg

Here are the two holes, strategically placed:

Grease ninjas.jpg

Cool tool. I always oil once a week when I commute. My chain is always "coated" and transfer easily to my hand when I touch it. Just don't run it dry and only clean when you have too.

Lube it before it rusts.

Seriously, the links are lubed internally. I'd think the original grease coating should be good for 1000 miles. The lube you spray on just keeps the metal from rusting and provides some lube to the sprocket teeth. Less is better. Maybe clean it (mildly) if it gets really bad at 5000 miles or so. A clean chain is not necessarily a healthy chain. Dirt on the outside of it doesn't really matter.

I don't ride on dirt roads but a few of them are gravel. My chain has 16,000 miles on it and I think I've cleaned it gently twice, maybe three times.

Last edited:
Lube it before it rusts.
I don't ride on dirt roads but a few of them are gravel. My chain has 16,000 miles on it and I think I've cleaned it gently twice, maybe three times.

+2 ^^^^^^^^^^^

I would guess you have had little need to adjust the chain tension ?

When I do clean mine it's with WD40 on rag. Relube lightly and done ..........

+2 ^^^^^^^^^^^

When I do clean mine it's with WD40 on rag. Relube lightly and done ..........

It's rare that adjustments are needed. Running it on the loose side increases the span between adjustments. A 2000 mile road trip would not require any tweaking until I got back home. Is that normal?

Yes cleaning for me is wiping with a rag while I'm lubing it, or maybe some WD40 or a little kerosene.

My Kawasaki dirt bike runs through some gawdawful mud and dust but it's usually just wash the bike, wipe the chain with a rag and relube.

I think I have the stock chain so I am following the recommended service in the manual of every 800k for lube. I have attached my two favorite forum links on chains. Found them quite valuable.

So far I have only lubed the chain once using a Motol chain lube. I figured I would clean it with Kerosene next time just to get a feel for it. Some people swear by cleaning others rarely touch it...very interesting :)

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-technical/2744-chain-care.html#post37936
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/how-to-s-/433-drive-chain-maintenance.html#post2159

+2 ^^^^^^^^^^^

No, it was not wearing fast yet, at least not "stretching". I'm now wondering how soon I'll have to adjust the tension with this new chain. It seems like it will take a few miles before it "wears in" - if it even does that.

No, it was not wearing fast yet, at least not "stretching". I'm now wondering how soon I'll have to adjust the tension with this new chain. It seems like it will take a few miles before it "wears in" - if it even does that.

My comment was more to 670cc chain maintenance ........adjustment is not often needed with reasonable care.

That said your new chain may not need adjustment for at least several 1000 miles.

Your motorcycle will start making a noise like something is wrong in the transmission, oil the chain and the noise will go away. That is a sure sign your chain needs oiling.

I now use a Motobriiz chain oiler. Super simple, reliable, and inexpensive. Thus, I start lubing a chain as soon as I start moving. :)

I do wipe off as much grease as I can from a new chain. I don't need that nasty crap getting flung all over everything, nor attracting dirt and grime, either. Sometimes I'll even clean it off with a mineral spirits-soaked rag.

I now use a Motobriiz chain oiler. Super simple, reliable, and inexpensive. Thus, I start lubing a chain as soon as I start moving. :)

I do wipe off as much grease as I can from a new chain. I don't need that nasty crap getting flung all over everything, nor attracting dirt and grime, either. Sometimes I'll even clean it off with a mineral spirits-soaked rag.

MZ5 - Where did you install the reservoir?

Cleaning an o-ring chain with anything that removes lube from inside the o-rings is a sure way to shorten the life of the chain. Wire brushes are also a really bad idea. Less is usually more with this type of chain. The nice thing about o-ring chains is the lack of maintenance. If you insist on oilers and cleaning the chain often. Save some money and buy a non o-ring chain. The gasoline or other solvents will clean it thoroughly and then you can oil the heck out of it. Over oiling the chain also picks up more dirt which will also wear the sprockets out faster.

I have ruined a number of chains through the years from improper chain cleaning methods. I love o-ring chains.

I guess the real question is, does dirt on the outside of an o-ring chain negatively affect longevity?

Last edited:
After I installed my new D.I.D. chain, I cleaned and lubed it a few times before I bought a Tutoro chain oiler. After that it only gets cleaned when I change the rear tire. My chain has over 16,000 miles on it now and looks like it did when I installed it. I will have a replacement for it waiting in a few months, but I'm hoping to get 30,000 + miles this one.
I give all the credit to a quality chian and the Tutoro oiler, mostly the Tutoro.

Last edited:
I also came across the "Grease Ninja tool" It saves a lot of over spray and waste of lube and put lube right where it is needed on the rollers and o rings. I usually do a ninja spray after each day of touring, only takes a few minutes and no mess or fuss. I see you use the "Pro Honda Lube". I used PJ1 Blue Label last year and it flung all over the place, the Honda does not. I shortened the wire of the Ninja as it was too long and also made it clamp onto the top of the chain lube can so using was easy!

Back