• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What's a farkle?

D

danrev

Where did the term farkle come from? I looked in the dictionary and the word is not there. Only farkleberry, which is a shrub that grows in the southeastern part of the US. So did the term begin with some bike folks somewhere in the South? Just curious.

farkle

accessory.

The word is generally accepted to mean a combination of "function" and "sparkle", hence, farkle.

Motorcycle enthusiasts may install accessories, called farkles (also spelled farkel), to customize their machine.

One source attributes the term to Pete Wells, the organizer of a 1997 Honda ST1100 rally
www.nabble.com/Re:-Farkel,
{delete this line and join two halves for url}
-or-is-it-Farkle--p2354383.html

The term is well known in the sport touring community.

An enthusiast may be in the process of "farkling". The completed motorcycle would be all "farkled up". Radar detectors, Global Positioning System receivers, heated grips, and satellite radios are some of those farkles. Other accessories could be aftermarket seats, side and/or top cases or bar risers, which make the motorcycle more suitable for long miles.

F.A.R.K.L.E. -- Fancy Accessory Really Kool Likely Expensive

Thanks for the explanation, much of what I had figured by reading through different posts. I think your last line probably hits the nail on the head most closely. Not sure what part of Lower Alabama you're from, but I spent a few years as an Army dependent at Ft. Rucker. Loved the motor scooter law back then (ca. 1963). Could get a license at 14 as long as the scooter was 5 hp or less. Rode a Lambretta at the time. Does that law still stand?

I am just outside of Dothan not to far from Ft. Rucker.I grew up in Mobile, and got my "scooter license" at 14, then at age 16 a full motorcycle license.That is still the law today, but you must be enrolled in school.The "scooter" limit now is 150cc and under.

I think its a word our US friends like to use for an extra. Mind you, I quite understand why they use it, it sounds quite good I think. Anyway, I dont want my bike to look as if I stuck a giant magnet on it and drove around Halfords with it....

Went to an orthodontist in Dothan to fix my crooked teeth. Wore braces top and bottom, front and back. Had so much metal in my mouth I could pick up radio stations!!! He was an excellent doctor. Every dentist I saw for years after marveled at the beautiful work. Always ate at a hamburger joint heading out of town toward Ft. Rucker. I think it was called Shamrock Burgers (before the days of McDonalds) and they had 15 cent burgers and 10 cent fries. A lot of my dad's family still lives in the Mobile area, but I haven't seen them since leaving in 1964.

The word is generally accepted to mean a combination of "function" and "sparkle", hence, farkle.

Sparkle should not be used in any form to describe motorcycles or vampires! :mad:

That word disgusts me. You will never hear/read of me using it.

This, it's one of those words that drives me nuts for some reason! :p

Can not stand the word farkle. It is both stupid and childish sounding and i would slap anyone who said it to my face :)

OriginalRocket said:
That word disgusts me. You will never hear/read of me using it.
tweak89 said:
This, it's one of those words that drives me nuts for some reason!
Farkle, Farkle, Farkle!

Rocker66 said:
Personally I don't find farkle any sillier than a lot of other words
Mod, Mod, Mod!

I don't have any problem with using either Farkle or Mod, but for those that do may I suggest going with the good old nautical term of Rig. If you decide to use this instead, be forewarned that extreme rigging can lead to another nautical term which is BOAT (stands for Break Out Another Thousand). :)

Bob

Back