• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What is the proper torque for the 2021 top steering stem nut

mudtrack

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have not been able to get a service manual yet.
Does anyone know the correct torque setting for the large center nut on top of the top yoke (triple tree)?
It may be called the top steering stem nut, ABOVE the top yoke.
Top Nut.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for your quick reply, lootzyan.
I noticed your information comes from the NC700XD. Do you think this would still be the same for the 2021, 2022, 2023 NC750X ?

... Do you think this would still be the same for the 2021, 2022, 2023 NC750X ?
Sorry, but I can't answer that question and I don't want to guess.
Here are quite a few owners of NCs of these years and some have a Service Manual. Torque information is rather easy to find.

This is my wife's bike. She had a case of a twisted fork. I followed Delboy's Youtube method and got everything perfect. However I didn't know the stem torque value, so I re-torqued to 76 and unfortunately I must have inadequately held the top yoke steady while I pulled on the torque wrench. It seems as I re-torqued I messed up the fork alignment again.. I seem to recall I was holding the front wheel steady with my legs, which allowed the top yoke to twist right along with the stem nut.
So, back to loosening appropriate bolts to re-align. This time I will plan on turning the fork full lock to the right before I pull hard on the torque wrench.
Practice makes better.

As I re-watch Delboy's Garage on Youtube showing how to re-align twisted fork, he does the final Stem Nut torque wrench tightening with his handlebars turned full lock to the right.
Delboy's Garage, Quick and Easy fork alignment.

Last edited:
My 2021 service manual shows an adjusting nut, lock washer, lock nut, and steering stem nut in the section for replacing stem bearings.

Here are the condensed instructions:

1. torque the adjusting nut to 17 lb-ft (special tool required)
2. install a new lock washer (one-time use) by aligning the short bent tabs with the grooves in the adjusting nut
3. install the lock nut until it contacts the lock washer. Further tighten the nut, within 90 deg, to align its grooves with the tabs of the lock washer
4. bend up the long lock washer tabs into the grooves of the lock nut
5. Steering stem nut (in your picture) is torqued to 76 lb-ft

Last edited:
OK, after multiple attempts to align her fork using Delboy's method yet still winding up with her handlebar slightly pointed to one side as her bike rides straight, I am inclined to believe her sliding stop into a concrete wall bent her fork legs as well as spraining her ankle.
The repair shop people said they thought they straightened her fork. Well, mostly it seems.
Lesson to learn: Do not go wide on a turn into the gravel shoulder and further into a concrete wall.

Last edited:
Possible, but the top triple tree yoke also looks pointed to one side slightly as the bike rides straight.
Strange, but my wife barely notices the slight fork twist yet when I test ride it I can really feel the imperfection. I am the garage mechanic, but not really qualified to straighten bent forks.
One more attempt tomorrow with Delboy's method. If I don't improve the alignment, we are going back to a qualified fork mechanic beyond my skill level.
Yes, I did double check the rear wheel alignment. Spot on.

Last edited:
Back