• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What do you do to be more "visible"?

You could also go with an E3 flashing brake light which is a direct fit and replaces the reflector just below the tail light. Extremely bright (3 LEDs) and 12 various flash patterns. During day or night, cagers can see me and back off.
E3MD.jpg

BTW, I got the idea from Beemerphile. The LED on mine appear clear but flashes red lights.

2013-01-09-17.37.55.jpg

Last edited:
You could also go with an E3 flashing brake light which is a direct fit and replaces the reflector just below the tail light. Extremely bright (3 LEDs) and 12 various flash patterns. During day or night, cagers can see me and back off.
View attachment 8443

BTW, I got the idea from Beemerphile. The LED on mine appear clear but flashes red lights.

View attachment 8444

With respect to Beemer (if indeed he recommended this) these lights are intended as primary emergency vehicle lights. They are way too bright to be used while directly in front of another vehicle as a brake light. They have a brake light function which just means that on an emergency vehicle they can be synched with your brake lighting circuit. Not only are they bright but they are somewhat directional and will blind the driver in back of you. On the rear of emergency vehicles these types of lights are usually higher than eye level or lower. If they need to be near eye level such as inside the top of the rear window of a police cruiser then they can be aimed upward so they are brightest when viewed at a distance. These will certainly get the attention of any LEO that is behind you.

Like a lot of people in this thread, I ride like I'm invisible. I don't have any Hi-Viz clothing other than the reflective piping on my black jacket. Wearing Hi-Viz only helps if the driver is looking for you and I think we all know that's not happening. I keep in mind that I am riding on THEIR road, they do not have to look for me or expect me to be there, and always stay out of their way. I try to anticipate what the possibilities of the driver are and avoid them. I also usually ride a little faster (5-10mph) than traffic so I'm not in one constant place relative to the drivers around me.

I also play video games to speed up my cognitive skills and improve my reaction time. ;)

This is my riding kit which seems to be quite effective I also have gloves with Hi Viz sections to add to the effect
DSC00105_zps85aad0f2.jpg

What model Honda is that?
*edit*
NT700V?

Last edited:
With respect to Beemer (if indeed he recommended this) these lights are intended as primary emergency vehicle lights. They are way too bright to be used while directly in front of another vehicle as a brake light. <lots of other words and junk>

Disagree with most of that.

A brighter tail/brake light increases your chance of being seen.

Being seen increases your chances on not being rear ended.

Brighter, maybe. What was being shown above was magnitudes brighter. I don't believe we should be pissing off the drivers we share the road with, especially when those drivers are driving larger vehicles than us. They have nothing to lose by being inattentive or non-respectful of us and we have everything to lose.

Also brighter lights may make you feel more visible but as one who drives a vehicle with tons of bright flashing lights the opposite is often true. People seem to get hypnotized by the lights and lose their depth perception. Often they will stare right at you as they are heading right toward you on a collision course. I drive that vehicle like it's invisible and like Josh said I ride my bike that way also. I still wear my high-vis clothing but I don't depend on it.

Afraid I agree with pahondafan, those lights are not for this kind of use, they are way too intense, and will dazzle drivers.
Try it out, next time you see an ambulance, look right at those flashing lights along the top edge of the roof, they are so bright they leave an after-image.

Not what you need at more or less eye level for the average car driver.

I'll stick with LEDs in my panniers, or Flex-LEDs from Admore Lighting.
More lights as opposed to super bright lights.

Am I the only one who noticed those lights have a hi/lo switch?

Nope, I saw it too

Website said:
....and feature a high/low power setting.....Designed by professionals for professionals the E Series are designed for primary warning, not "auxiliary or secondary warning" like so many other similar lights sold today.

I believe that high intensity lights make a rider less safe. When someone approaches me with those lights, I have to look away as the brightness is uncomfortable.

High visibility gear and reflective tape are fine with me as they don't negatively affect surrounding drivers, but I don't believe that they make much of a real difference. I usually wear black and carefully pay attention to what is around me.

On my daily commute which is often in the dark I notice that I tend to be cut up less when wearing Hi Viz and reflective clothing than when I don't. of course I don't rely on this to protect me but anything that gives me an edge is fine by me

I just came across this information in Wikipedia. There was a study called the Hurt Report done in the early 1980's that studied more than 900 motorcycle accidents. Professor Hurt found that the motorist did not see the motorcyclist in more than 1/2 of the accidents. A similar study in New Zealand concluded that 1/3 of the accidents might have been avoided if the motorcyclist has been wearing high visibility clothing. I have been looking for hard data on this issue for some time and here it is. Here is the official title of what is known as the Hurt report:
Motorcycle Accident Cause Factors and Identification of Countermeasures, Volume 1: Technical Report.
I'm now going to start shopping for a high viz vest.

Back