• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What do you do to be more "visible"?

people can't see my f250 4x4 crew cab with an 8 foot bed half the time. I just do my best to keep myself in a safe spot with a quick out if needed.

I have a reflective vest I got for riding on military bases (I'm retired Air Force) along with some other high visibility accessories, but I really don't expect anyone to see me. About the only way I know to get noticed on a bike is to look like a cop, and that can open a whole new can of worms. :)
I just make the assumption that I'm invisible to other drivers and ride accordingly.

Bob

! think it doesn't matter what you wear, what color your bike is, or even flashing lights, people just don't pay attention while driving. My job as a heavy haul truck driver allows me to witness this multiple per day. I drive a bright red Kenworth with the headlights on,yellow oversize load banners, and red flags on every corner, and a flashing led light bar, that's extremely bright, came from same company that makes them for state troopers. I've been in two unavoidable collisions from people pulling out in front of me. Their response was I didn't see you. For me I use the advice my father gave me, "ride like you are invisible."296621_282319661785900_1865489530_n.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't see you is another way of saying I was thinking about something else and didn't pay attention.
I don't care what you wear, people will pull out in front of you.
My VFR is freakin Honda racing red, my old helmet is bright red, I'm a big guy and people still don't see me.
My F350 pickup is about as big as you are going to get for a passenger vehicle and people pull out in front of me.

I've learned to recognize (most of the time) when people actually see me or when they are looking through me.
That has saved me more times than I can count though it's not perfect.
I've actually waved at people a few times when I thought they didn't see me and saw an obvious reaction.

The problem is that people are thinking about anything but driving.

Thanks for sharing.

It reminds me to be more careful whenever a truck is around as it has more limited visibility than other vehicles.

Stay safe, Folks.

one other thought that might help.....

Everyone has a "Blind Spot". It's that place at a car's 7 to 8 o'clock where the driver has to work hard to find you.
Be aware of when you're in the spot!
Drop out of it, accelerate past it, but don't hover in it!

I think about that when I'm in a lane and the car ahead of me in the left or right lane gets at that "I'm in his blind spot" angle.
It's not my fault that he put me there, but I still try to get out of it.

One of the main reasons I bought a red NC was for visibility. I owned a silver fiero and got side swipped a few times, and had half a dozen people pull out in front of me because not only was the car small, it blended in with the elements. The other thing I do is I have a silver helmet with reflecting lines all over it. I also adhere to the rule that I have no rights on the road and always assume I am invisible when riding.

My wife didn't want me to buy my NC700X because of the constant reports of fatalities. A little old lady (friend of a friend) left turned through a HD killing the rider. She asked how anyone could think it was her fault as she didn't see him. The two close calls I've had have been drivers passing me, approaching red lights trying to get into the right turn only, and more recently, the left turn only lane by crossing the white line. I know they saw me with my Hi-Vis Yellow jacket, some people need to gain every advantage in traffic. It's a compulsion, they can't help themselves.

One of the main reasons I bought a red NC was for visibility. I owned a silver fiero and got side swipped a few times, and had half a dozen people pull out in front of me because not only was the car small, it blended in with the elements. The other thing I do is I have a silver helmet with reflecting lines all over it. I also adhere to the rule that I have no rights on the road and always assume I am invisible when riding.
+1
plus you sit very high on NC , higher than even most SUV's.which is imo good thing .

As Jeff 762 said - ride like you're invisible. Hi viz, extra lighting, anything you do can't compensate for the fact that the human eye & brain "skip" large areas as people scan their surroundings. Even alert drivers have huge gaps in what they see as a result of this.

Then there a those whose brains are constantly in energy saving mode who can drive along oblivious to the bright red fire engine behind them with lights flashing, sirens sounding.

Hi viz won't do any harm - but I've got reflective strips on my clothes & bike plus daylight riding lights and am still invisible to a high percentage of the muppets on the road.

Do you guys ride with your brights on during the day?

Also, lane positioning is important, especially as it relates to if/how they will see you.

Yes. My high beam is modulated during daylight. I always use it on high beam during the daytime.

Regarding helmet color, my own observations of riders in the wild shows that white, orange, or hi-vis color helmets are most visible. All other colors either not so much visible or not at all. Couldn't do much worse than matte black.

Last edited:
Good advices, guys. I agree at the fact that inattentive drivers will still be inattentive, no matter what you do. I will be more mindful of where I am, relative to others. Avoid being trapped or leaving too little room for the unexpected. With that being said, it wouldn't hurt to make myself more visible. I am going to pick up the Alpinestars Drystar Andes jacket (Hi-Viz) as my early Christmas present. It will replace my black/grey Firstgear Kathmandu. Should go well with my Hi-Viz dual sports helmet.

alpinestars-andes-drystar-negro.jpg

On top of that, I might pick up a cheapo HID kit off ebay for $20. With daylight getting shorter and shorter, before you know it, it'd dark when I leave the house and dark when I head home. Either that or some auxiliary lights that I can mount on the fork or front fender.

Last edited:
Yes. My high beam is modulated during daylight. I always use it on high beam during the daytime.

Regarding helmet color, my own observations of riders in the wild shows that white, orange, or hi-vis color helmets are most visible. All other colors either not so much visible or not at all. Couldn't do much worse than matte black.

Over here this behaviour irks drivers and give us (riders) a bad name.
It is similar like playing blaring music at construction sites. It may be "safe" for the workers, but it is an irritant to others.
:p
Over here, we have to turn on the lights during daytime too.
We have an auto-on feature on all new bikes.

Over here, we have to turn on the lights during daytime too.
We have an auto-on feature on all new bikes.

On US bikes, the headlight is always on, no matter what, but you can choose low/high beam.
I note that it was so on the first bike I ever owned in 1980 as well.

While traveling recently for work I saw a rider on a bad road wearing all white gear. I was able to see him from a long distance away. If he had been wearing black I might have seen him, but probably would have been closer. Of course his silhouette was against green trees, so take that with a grain of salt. I think hi-Viz yellow or orange would stand out against just about anything. I know my next set of gear will be hi-viz or white. Black is just too damn hot in the summer.

I just stick two fingers up. works every time.
I never get ignored;)
Winston-Churchill-V-Sign.jpg

I never really have thought about trying to be more visible. I know I should. I have only been in three accidents over the years and all three were my fault. Trying to ride wheelies in places I shouldn't and going to fast for road conditions. I probably take things for granted because I have never been completely run off the road by a car. Had some close calls but nothing I could not get away from.

Reading this thread makes me think rethink my gear choices. I just bought a knew suit for winter and tried to color match the bike but I do need a new helmet. Thinking on getting something white.

I do like the idea someone posted of the luminus tape on the back of the panniers. I'm going to use that idea.

Just get a fat as me, then everybody has to see you and on hot days they even have to smell you. Use of more sensors that way. Sticking up finger configurations in Texas could get you entire hand shoot off! Got to remember, everybody is packing here!6.jpg

SmileyMaybe.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Back