• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Well it finally happened! (GRAPHIC VIDEO AND IMAGES)

Just did a quick parts and price list of what it will take to get the bike back up and running safely. It totals out to around $550. Not too bad at all!! Of course, this doesn't account for all the plastics, but that will have to wait.

That's not bad at all. Be better if it was zero but considering $550 is good.

In regards to the damage, I believe the California DMV says if you "think it might" be 750 dollars in damages, then it has to be reported. It's actually very easy to fill out the form online and mail it in if you want. Typically an insurance company will file it on your behalf when you call their claims number, and it does not relate as to whether or not you file a claim with your insurance, since the form is filed irregardless of fault.

Here's the form, and the data about it:

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/sr/sr1.pdf

The 5th amendment data, well - the section in that form called "Important Information" might help answer that.

I dont wanna jinx myself, but I am only covered 3rd party. (although mine's a brand new one from 4.4.2012, 1st batch?)
:p

I'm also only covered for the other guy's repairs. When I bought the bike I asked my insurance guy what full coverage would cost and got "You don't want to know" for an answer.

I dont wanna jinx myself, but I am only covered 3rd party. (although mine's a brand new one from 4.4.2012, 1st batch?)
for around 30% premium of full coverage, i took my chances with 3rd party (liability) coverage. though surprisingly it's slightly more than my car's premium (Toyota Prado 2009). Perhaps its the manufacturing year of the vehicle.

Glad you are doing well and the bike damage wasn't excessive.

Thank you for posting the location -- I had been thinking about asking. I'm due to lead a less experienced rider on Angeles Crest this weekend, so we'll be extra careful if we go.

I have ridden over tar snakes many times, knowing that people say to be wary of them but I never noticed anything... until early August coming home from riding a section of the Colorado Backcountry Discover Route on my KLR with knobby street legal tires (D606). Crossed some tar snakes at relatively low speed (heavily loaded bike with camping gear on dirt oriented tiers) on what was not a particularly warm day (high 80s?) southeast of Prescott. Thought for sure I was going to go down. As much as I've ridden over them without incident in the past, after that moment I had a new respect for them.

1kUSD for 1 year for a new bike, value between 9000chf to 11000chf.
Full coverage. Yes it is this expensive but then you have really peace of mind.
A mosquito scratch can be repaired if you really wanted.
premium around 10-12% of the bike value. here, it is around 5-6%. it might be including VAT in Switzerland. Believe me, there is no VAT in UAE! gotta love this country man. :p

Josh and tslaw, thanks for sharing what was a not pleasant experience, and suffering the all the couch quarterback play back, but it helps us all to know it can happen in a moment and seeing, hearing from the players makes us all more aware and hopefully safer. I guess is about time for me to do the experienced rider safety class again, thanks for the nudge. Hope you both get healed up quickly and thanks again for sharing a not so fun experience. Got a lot of OMG from the video in my class. Brought back some memories but mine unfortunately was my error being stupid.

Josh and tslaw, thanks for sharing what was a not pleasant experience, and suffering the all the couch quarterback play back, but it helps us all to know it can happen in a moment and seeing, hearing from the players makes us all more aware and hopefully safer. I guess is about time for me to do the experienced rider safety class again, thanks for the nudge. Hope you both get healed up quickly and thanks again for sharing a not so fun experience. Got a lot of OMG from the video in my class. Brought back some memories but mine unfortunately was my error being stupid.

My wreck was due to inattention and over reaction - double stupidity. I lost control all on my own in a situation that I should have be able to handle. Josh looked like he had a little help.

My wreck was due to inattention and over reaction - double stupidity. I lost control all on my own in a situation that I should have be able to handle. Josh looked like he had a little help.

We've probably all done that. I have had three wrecks over the years. I casued all three. Wheelies, excessive speed, and just plain being stupid. It happens to the best of us.

I keep my back tire around 34 psi. I found that fully inflated to stated
pressures made it more prone to slipping in wet conditions. I never keep
the tires right to the stated pressures.

Try leaning on the curves with knee out and lean your body while keeping
the bike more upright.

Also, invest in a good pair of water proof riding boots. :)

Last edited:
The tires are the stock Metzeler Z8's. The front is the original tire with 13,000 miles on it. No flat spots or crown hardly at all. The rear is fairly new with 2,000 miles or so.

I hated those tyres from the getgo. I ride briskly and have other bikes to compare with. Several times the front tyre let go on me, both in the wet and Dry. On some occasions I went back on the road to see what might have caused the slippage but there was nothing obvious on the road. It had to be the tyres. I was lucky to get it back on each occasion. I could not wait to get rid of them as they were ruining my confidence on the bike. On the same roads my other bikes were having no issues. In the end I replaced the Metzelers with Michelin PR3's. The difference was amazing and proved to me what rubbish tyres the stock items are. All is well now.

Got 95% of the parts to fix the bike in tonight! Can't wait till the weekend!!

Also went the entire day without using my crutches and it has only been two and a half weeks. I'm determined to get back on the horse. This commuter traffic is raising my blood pressure!!

u4aresu8.jpg

Back