• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Well it finally happened! (GRAPHIC VIDEO AND IMAGES)

Josh H

Reaction score
Visit site
That's right, it finally happened. Laid the bike down yesterday. Still unsure as to what caused the accident. I wasn't leaned any more than usual and was comfortable with the speed entering the turn. As you can see in the video it just fell out from under me with no warning.

Also, this is a GREAT example of why you should wear protective clothing. My jeans and tennis shoes shredded like cheese in a grater. I got pretty lucky with no broken bones. Just some road rash and a twisted ankle. The bike was much worse but after some minor roadside modifications I was able to ride it home.

Enjoy.

[video=youtube;ZB-vdrpZyrs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB-vdrpZyrs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

IMG_3637.jpgIMG_3638.jpgIMG_3639.jpgIMG_3640.jpgIMG_3641.jpgIMG_3642.jpgIMG_3644.jpgIMG_3645.jpgIMG_3647.jpgIMG_3648.jpgIMG_3649.jpgIMG_3650.jpg

Darn. Get well soon.
nasty those wounds.

Looks like the tire slipped after going over the crack on the road surface.
Oil?
some liquids on road?
bald tire?

Last edited:
looks like what HAPPY said. Tire went over a crack and some how slipped.
What tires do you have ?

Glad your wearing some protective gear.
Ken

...any post accident analysis worth sharing to us?

Actually yes! I was amazed at how well the bike took the fall and slide. While it didn't endo, it did slide about 100 feet and bounced off a guard rail. The only major damage (I can tell so far) was the foot peg snapped off, bent clutch lever, bent shift lever and linkage, bent/broken handle bars, and broken blinker. No frame or motor damage what so ever. Looks like it slid mostly on the black plastic with the Honda logo, rear passenger handles, foot peg, and rear axle bolt. The windshield was scratched from bouncing off the guard rail.

Overall, very impressed.

The tires are the stock Metzeler Z8's. The front is the original tire with 13,000 miles on it. No flat spots or crown hardly at all. The rear is fairly new with 2,000 miles or so.

Sorry see that also, get better soon!

And get some crash bars, can save you a lot!
ATGATT, as mentioned before.... worth it! One of my friend slipped in may crossing the rails about 15-20mp/h, scratches everywhere, took several months to get in shape again. But his wounds still can be seen.

It looks like a decreasing radius turn, and as you banked more your left foot peg touched down and raised the front tire loosing contact with the asphalt. It sounds like a metal scraping asphalt just before you begin to slide with increased sound of metal sliding on asphalt. Happy to know you weren't injured severely.
I've had the same experience with jeans, tennis shoes, and a windbreaker jacket. Ouch!

Sorry for you spill. Get better soon. I hope my wife doesn't see this video. She hates it everytime I pull out of the driveway with my bike.

Pismo got it right!
I was not there so this is just speculation -There was a scrapping sound just before you lost control, I believe the the foot peg took the friction away from the tires. From reviewing the video many times it appeared that you were going to fast into the curve and last moment if you watch you can see you leaned more to compensate for the higher speed. This is when the peg made contact with the ground and your tires lost friction. Resulting in you sliding out low side. To hear the peg hit the road listen to the video around 1:07.

We are all glad you were able to walk away from this! Hopefully we all learn some lesson from this and it doesn't happen again.

As side note: Since your video has video and audio if it was me there would have been some audio bleeps to cover what I was saying after that. You maintained you composure well!

Last edited:
I dont know if I agree about the rider peg touching down first. He doesnt appear to have a severe enough angle of attack. It simple looks as if once he hits the tar snake the front tire tucks. I would like to see some photos of the front tire condition as well as what the pressure of the tire was too.

First, let me say how sorry I am for your accident. Pains me greatly to see or hear it when someone eats asphalt. However, you should consider donating your video to an MSF course for new riders to review in class. The quality of the video, sound and different angles you captured might help someone avoid a similar incident in the future. The details of the mileage on your front stock tire makes me wonder if that didn't contribute to loss of traction?
Heal quickly, and thanks for posting this up for others to view.

Last edited:
Ouch, looks like you will be sore for a while.
I'm glad the damage to you and your bike wasn't worse.
Hope you get to feeling better soon.

*edit*
I just saw the comments about the foot peg scraping. If the footpeg caught on the crack in the road that could do very bad things at a lean and might explain it breaking off.

Last edited:
Back