• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Weekend Camping Nevad Border

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While browsing "FreeCampSites.net", I came across a place called "Horse Thief Canyon". 'Seemed too exotic a name to pass up.

[HERE] is the camp site link.

horsethief.jpg

Last edited:
"Horse Thief Canyon" does seem to have nice dedicated camp sites. Most of the good free camp sites seem to be in the west. Does it get cold at nite and hot in the day?

Last edited:
"Horse Thief Canyon" does seem have nice dedicated camp sites. Most of the good free camp sites seem to be in the west. Does it get cold at nite and hot in the day?

In early June, it was 97F during the day, 50F at night.
It's the sort of camp site you get to at sundown, camp, eat, watch the stars, get up and pack before it gets too hot.

This was the morning view.
campview.jpg

The road in is Paved. it's kinda rough pavement but easy to navigate.
roadin.jpg

Last edited:
Soooo beautiful and peaceful looking! :cool:

*blood pressure lowering*

although, gack!, the heat would just fry what little brain cells of mine remain, lol :eek: 97F = 36.1C Auuugh!

Good to see you out getting more camping experience in , Don!

I'm still planning on a Sept. trip out to the Red Wood Forest. Hope to see you on the way (or back).

Is that a new/different tent?

Me and mrs. StratTuner are crossing the USA in a car shortly... camping most of the way. ☺
Same old $35 tent.

[Tahoe Gear Willow II Tent]

If you go to the Tahoe Gear page, it has a few pictures of the tent, and the one between two huge rocks is ... my own... Mrs. StratTuner and I made camp there and took the photo. Tahoe Gear liked it so much, they asked if they could use it...

I don't get a kick back or anything... I got 0$ for the photo... it's just a nice picture.

Last edited:
Well, you're getting your money's worth out of it!
I upgraded to a three man tent after having the same two-man tent for 20+ years (started leaking ).

Back