• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Vibration/pulsing at 50 - 55 MPH in 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.
the problem isn't that the motor is lugging, the problem is a rhythmic pulsation that only occurs between 2,500 and 3,000 RPM in top gear.

I agree. Mine does this exact thing. I suspected it was just a harmonic that happens to occur in that situation based on the power pulse and the relative RPMs of all the power train components.

Neither the Dealer nor Honda will "fix" this. It's not a problem, just a characteristic of the bike. We are spoiled. A Goldwing rider would notice this. I don't think a Harley rider would notice this, however, since the bikes they are used to have an over abundance of "character."

I agree. Mine does this exact thing. I suspected it was just a harmonic that happens to occur in that situation based on the power pulse and the relative RPMs of all the power train components.

Neither the Dealer nor Honda will "fix" this. It's not a problem, just a characteristic of the bike. We are spoiled. A Goldwing rider would notice this. I don't think a Harley rider would notice this, however, since the bikes they are used to have an over abundance of "character."

I too have noticed this. My V-Rod had the same querck/issue. The only way to fix it is accelerate out of it or downshift. It's a paralel twin 4 stroke motor. It's only under power stroke half of the time that the crankshaft is rotating. Your going to feel the pulse of the motor more during certain RPM's and under different loads.

I too have noticed this. My V-Rod had the same querck/issue.

That's funny. Honda went through all of the manufacturing magic of a twisted crankshaft to produce a motor with more motorcycle "character" and here we sit complaining that it isn't smoother. It would have suited me if they had spared themselves the trouble and did a conventional parallel twin crankshaft like my Yamaha TMax had. If I wanted character, I would have bought something else.

At any rate, it is a subtle trait to me and not bothersome - but it certainly doesn't add anything to the enjoyment of the motorcycle.

That's funny. Honda went through all of the manufacturing magic of a twisted crankshaft to produce a motor with more motorcycle "character" and here we sit complaining that it isn't smoother. It would have suited me if they had spared themselves the trouble and did a conventional parallel twin crankshaft like my Yamaha TMax had. If I wanted character, I would have bought something else.

At any rate, it is a subtle trait to me and not bothersome - but it certainly doesn't add anything to the enjoyment of the motorcycle.

I agree. I figured Honda just said they added the vibration for character, because they noticed it and didn't want to redesign the engine.

I agree. I figured Honda just said they added the vibration for character, because they noticed it and didn't want to redesign the engine.

Not so, they developed a manufacturing process of twisting a freshly cast crankshaft to get a 90 degree firing order in a parallel twin. RIght or wrong, it was intentional and done at significant effort. From a manufacturing point of view, it was quite ingenious.

Not so, they developed a manufacturing process of twisting a freshly cast crankshaft to get a 90 degree firing order in a parallel twin. RIght or wrong, it was intentional and done at significant effort. From a manufacturing point of view, it was quite ingenious.

Except that HD's are V-Twins, in the Sportster models they have a similar stroke for added torque and it has the added advantage of scavenging the exhaust of the other cylinder's exhaust stroke via a crossover which connects the two pipes. It's also what gives HD's the distinctive note. I recall HD sued, I think it was Honda, for copying their trademark exhaust note. Would have to research the suit thing to verify if it was fact or rumor though.

Except that HD's are V-Twins, in the Sportster models they have a similar stroke for added torque and it has the added advantage of scavenging the exhaust of the other cylinder's exhaust stroke via a crossover which connects the two pipes. It's also what gives HD's the distinctive note. I recall HD sued, I think it was Honda, for copying their trademark exhaust note. Would have to research the suit thing to verify if it was fact or rumor though.

It is hard to think you can trademark the sound of a machine saying "potato-potato-potato".

1. They will say they "reset the engine mapping" via some topsecret Honda console
2. They find nothing and says to let them know when it happens again

:p

I am also interested to hear what they find.

Hello all. Just joined the user group. I also have had the pulsation mentioned since the day I purchased the bike. I now have almost 1700 miles on the bike. MPG has been about 73MPG with commute being rural at 45-60 (60%), stop and go in town (30%), interstate speed at 70-75 (10%). I assume the mileage reinforces a decent running engine, in spite of the pulsation under load. My concern however is that the 2 pistons are not firing at the correct time or combustion is possibly compromised by fuel or valve issues. Either way, at 800 miles I pulled the plugs and they appear to look the same- may need more time to access that. I just ordered the maintenance manual to see what variables might be checked or adjusted regarding this engine. I believe that if there are some bikes not experiencing this problem at all, then there is an issue and it should be addressed if we are to maintain and operaste these bikes for an extended period. This pulsation appears abnormal to me as well. My other bike can also "lug down" under a load when accelerating or climbing a hill, but it does not pulsate/vibrate like this one under high load. The only reason that it is not felt at lower speed is because the lower gearing reduces the amount of load felt at the engine. This is acting like any car/vehicle misfiring under high load (i.e climbing a hill) but more pronounced with only 2 cylinder

Or the dealer will say "your chain needed adjustment and that is normal maintenance not covered by warranty, so please pay $150, thank you." Honda would respond "we are unaware of any issue such as you have described."

As far as I'm concerned this pulsing is probably normal. If you want a bike as smooth as an electric motor, you'd have to buy a Goldwing. Still, I'm anxious to read what the dealer's response will be.

Last edited:
Hello all. Just joined the user group. I also have had the pulsation mentioned since the day I purchased the bike. I now have almost 1700 miles on the bike. MPG has been about 73MPG with commute being rural at 45-60 (60%), stop and go in town (30%), interstate speed at 70-75 (10%). I assume the mileage reinforces a decent running engine, in spite of the pulsation under load. My concern however is that the 2 pistons are not firing at the correct time or combustion is possibly compromised by fuel or valve issues. Either way, at 800 miles I pulled the plugs and they appear to look the same- may need more time to access that. I just ordered the maintenance manual to see what variables might be checked or adjusted regarding this engine. I believe that if there are some bikes not experiencing this problem at all, then there is an issue and it should be addressed if we are to maintain and operaste these bikes for an extended period. This pulsation appears abnormal to me as well. My other bike can also "lug down" under a load when accelerating or climbing a hill, but it does not pulsate/vibrate like this one under high load. The only reason that it is not felt at lower speed is because the lower gearing reduces the amount of load felt at the engine. This is acting like any car/vehicle misfiring under high load (i.e climbing a hill) but more pronounced with only 2 cylinder

Hi Ed! Welcome to the jungle!
:D
Call me Joe.

Or the dealer will say "your chain needed adjustment and that is normal maintenance not covered by warranty, so please pay $150, thank you." Honda would respond "we are unaware of any issue such as you have described."

As far as I'm concerned this pulsing is probably normal. If you want a bike as smooth as an electric motor, you'd have to buy a Goldwing. Still, I'm anxious to read what the dealer's response will be.

They will say "N O R M A L".....
:p

I agree with Little Ed. The point is, and it was missed by a few of you, that some of us NC owners are experiencing the odd pulsation and some are not (I am.) If it was normal, all would be experiencing it. There appears to be a common problem and it needs further investigation. I am monitoring this thread with great interest and hope a solution can be found.

Cyclerosis, what exactly do you mean by "suspension is at the top of it's travel"? I am trying to understand your relationship or link between suspension and engine performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back