• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

USB charging port for storage/handle bar

Philipp

Reaction score
Visit site
I know there's quite a few solutions for cigarette lighter power for motorcycles. I'm not really intereste in that, however, since all devices that I use come with a standard USB plug. Why use an adapter? So I was searching around for some USB charging ports and found these two:

1) http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/waterproof-motorcycle-usb-port/

2) Motorcycle USB Power Socket

I think the first one would be great to install inside of the storage compartment since it can be screwed against a flat surface. The second one (dual USB port) would probably be great for the handle bar since it comes with a mount. Not sure there's a good, flat, surface on the NC700 by the handlebar for the 1st one.

What do you guys think about these?

Great find. 12V cigarette plug still has its space in the automotive world. You can't go wrong. One great example will be heated jacket and air pump. I do agree that the USB connected is most useful inside the FRUNK (front trunk) and a 12V power adapter such as this one Amazon.com: Tusk 12 Volt Power Socket: Automotive on the outside is best. Depending your application, 5V @ 2A output may not be sufficient. I think 15 amp with fuse is a minimum I would go.

Last edited:
Be aware that USB plugs consume power even when not in use. Just a few mili amp, but you must take it into consideration if you don't use the bike for a long time

I have #2. Got it at Dennis Kirk for $29.95. Here's a link:

https://www.denniskirk.com/drag-specialties/dual-usb-port-w-mount-21300104.p2001020.prd/2001020.sku

Works as advertised. I wanted it to power my Garmin, but couldn't do it. There's something in the Garmin's that require a special cable. Otherwise it thinks it's connected to a PC.

If you are going to charge other devices though, I'm sure it would work just fine. Kind of big an bulky though to mount on the handle bars. I'd for sure mount in in the trunk, or secure it in the fake air intake (out of sight) and route the USB cables into the not-a-tank. That way you are talking up minimal trunk space without having a couple of USB cables sticking out. Hopefully that makes sense.

WGW

Great find. 12V cigarette plug still has its space in the automotive world. You can't go wrong. One great example will be heated jacket and air pump. I do agree that the USB connected is most useful inside the FRUNK (front trunk) and a 12V power adapter such as this one Amazon.com: Tusk 12 Volt Power Socket: Automotive on the outside is best. Depending your application, 5V @ 2A output may not be sufficient. I think 15 amp with fuse is a minimum I would go.

How about this guy for the handle bar:
Amazon.com: EKLIPES EK1-110 Chrome Cobra Ultimate Motorcycle USB Charging System: Automotive

Has USB and 12V combined in one. Also Amazon prime shipping. Ordered this one for my handle bar and this guy for my frunk (also amazon prime):

Amazon.com: USB All Weather Power Outlet Charger: Electronics

Getting both on Monday.

How about this guy for the handle bar:
Amazon.com: EKLIPES EK1-110 Chrome Cobra Ultimate Motorcycle USB Charging System: Automotive Has USB and 12V combined in one. Also Amazon prime shipping.

Not a big fan of chrome although looks useful. Personally I like to keep handle bar less cluttered. The only thing I would put is GPS and I used RAM mount. I will put 12V socket somewhere else. If you already have the USB port in the FRUNK, I don't think you need another one outside unless you have other gadgets you need to power or charge. If it rains, I'd rather keep my device charged dry inside the FRUNK.

Ordered this one for my handle bar and this guy for my frunk (also amazon prime):

Amazon.com: USB All Weather Power Outlet Charger: Electronics

Getting both on Monday.

This is great buy I have exactly the same one from Burnsmoto.

Quick mounting question! I noticed that there is some sort of "pipe" in the center of the steering wheel. Looks like the pipe is hollow and the plastic cap should be removable:

image.jpg

Wouldn't this be the perfect place to install this circular USB plug?

image.jpg

Do any of you have any experience with installing anything in this pipe? Is there a specific name for this? Also, could your route the cables easily to the battery from the bottom of this pipe?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

On my VFR I had a powerlet outlet installed in the same place. On the nc I have a single led voltage meter installed there.

To answer your question yes it removes easily (friction fit) and the neck is hollow so you can pass wires out the bottom side

On my VFR I had a powerlet outlet installed in the same place. On the nc I have a single led voltage meter installed there.

To answer your question yes it removes easily (friction fit) and the neck is hollow so you can pass wires out the bottom side

Thank you! Any tips on installation? Mainly how do you make sure the outlet fits perfectly if it is smaller than the hole? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

So, what does this mean? I'm not very smart when it comes to this.

That means that certain devices will charge slower and other devices may not charge at all. Shouldn't be a problem for most phones and GPS units, though. But I know some of you use these power outlets to inflate tires or plug in heated garments. Those may require a more powerful plug such as the 12V cigarette adapters. However, if you're only planning to charge your iPhone, iPad, smartphone, GPS,... a standard USB socket may be more convenient since you won't need to plug in an adapter into the cigarette port. Really depends on what you're planning to power up.

For me the USB port is exactly what I need.

That means that certain devices will charge slower and other devices may not charge at all. Shouldn't be a problem for most phones and GPS units, though. But I know some of you use these power outlets to inflate tires or plug in heated garments. Those may require a more powerful plug such as the 12V cigarette adapters. However, if you're only planning to charge your iPhone, iPad, smartphone, GPS,... a standard USB socket may be more convenient since you won't need to plug in an adapter into the cigarette port. Really depends on what you're planning to power up.

For me the USB port is exactly what I need.

It won't just charge slower, it will blow the fuse if you draw above 1A. That option comes with very thin wires and a 1.0A fuse, so it may only be used for very low power drain 12V devices, like a cell phone charger. Here is the pictures posted by lamlamz That clearly shows the socket, wires and little fuse:

image.jpg

Last edited:
Saw that in Canadian Tire!

Got two of these on the net for about $2 each. They fit perfectly flush in my cigarette plugs, I can even close the rubber cap over them. So I have 2 USB ports and if I need one or two 12V plug, I just need to pull those little things. Best of both worlds, and a lot cheaper that motorcycle-specific USB plugs...

Back