• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

USB charger + SAE connector

quitsmirking

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking to add a USB charger and SAE connector to my 2012 NC700XDC.

1. I know some NC700s come with an SAE connector - how do I know if mine came with one and where would it be if it did?

2. I want to have a USB charging port (or at least a 12v) in the frunk, but also use an SAE connector to periodically trickle charge my battery. (Would this do the trick? It has mixed but mostly positive reviews. Anyone use it?)

I've seen a handful of solutions and products, including this thread, but it's 2 years old and I'm wondering if anyone has anything newer/better/easier/etc.

I may have to have an audio/alarm shop install it, as I live in an apartment and don't have access to a toolshop.

SAE connector would be hooked up to the battery, two screws in the frunk to remove the cover for the battery and see if there are any extra wires there, odds are you can follow them to the connector if they are there... Mine came with one, I suspect the dealer installed it in '12 to keep the battery up until I bought it in '13.

Easiest way to add a 12 hookup in the frunk is to punch a small hole in the cover you removed to expose the battery and feed some wires through to the battery, not the cleanest solution though.

connector on the handlebars like you linked, or the one mentioned here, can easily be feed through from the battery to the handle bars (use some zip ties to hold it all in place, leave enough slack for the handle bars to turn full lock both ways.)

I have one of the usb/12v combos installed on my bike, there isn't much to it... two screws to get to the battery, two screws to hook up the positive and negative line from the plug, and then feeding the wires through behind the body panels (maybe 1 screw and 1 body panel plastic rivet to open up the space for the fake vents to make feeding the wire easier).

Very easy install, might even be able to do it with the screw driver that came with the bike.

However, it's good to note at that point that you are connected directly to the battery, which means you can use a 12v cigarette lighter to SAE to a battery tender to charge your bike, but you'll also be pulling a few miliamps off for the USB converter all the time (even when the bike isn't running) so leaving the bike for a long time will run down the battery. (which is why the switch for the USB power supply is nice.)

Do you use a usb/12v combos with a switch for the USB power supply? Which one? I can't find one without a handful of "this thing is a piece of garbage, broke after 2 minutes" reviews, and I definitely want one with a switch so I don't run down my battery.

And is this the kind of 12v to SAE that I'd need to charge with a Battery Tender?

So should I get a battery->SAE cable and then an SAE->USB converter? Could I leave the SAE connected all the time and then plug the SAE->USB converter in whenever I wanted to charge my phone?

Would leaving the battery -> SAE cable connected all the time drain the battery, or would power only get drained if the SAE -> USB was connected?

So should I get a battery->SAE cable and then an SAE->USB converter? Could I leave the SAE connected all the time and then plug the SAE->USB converter in whenever I wanted to charge my phone?

Would leaving the battery -> SAE cable connected all the time drain the battery, or would power only get drained if the SAE -> USB was connected?
The first link battery sae is what I use now.it is plug in at all times.I put a hole in pannel where the rubber bands for holding tool kit goes.(maps are there now).I keep the cables behind the bands to keep it from dangling around.the problem is I have to add a CIG lighter adapter then plug into GPS and run cord out the frunk.this is why I am switching to the handle bar mount,less cables and no closing cables in the lid .but yes you can leave it hanging there for a tender,but if you run a GPS when you turn bike off you would have to unplug the gps or battery will drain.I hope this all makes sense.

The battery>SAE cable alone will not cause any battery drain. You can connect the SAE>USB adapter when needed. I do this on my Goldwing and it works fine.

I believe in keeping it simple. I have one of these- NOT pink
Pink Universal USB Car Charger Adapter Cell Phone MP3 Player | eBay
plugged into one of these- in the frunk - I added an inline 10 amp fuse
Waterproof 12V Motorcycle Cell Phone USB Charger Power Adapter Socket for Honda | eBay
I just unplug it when not in use (well, to be honest, I leave it in always because I always ride)
I used my sae plug from my Battery Tender (which is defunct) and mounted it as previously suggested. I ran it down through the body to right above where the clutch cable is on the engine. It tucks away easily

Do you use a usb/12v combos with a switch for the USB power supply? Which one? I can't find one without a handful of "this thing is a piece of garbage, broke after 2 minutes" reviews, and I definitely want one with a switch so I don't run down my battery.

And is this the kind of 12v to SAE that I'd need to charge with a Battery Tender?

I got one from China off Amazon, the reviews said it was junk but it was cheap so I took the risk, just make sure it has a fuse.
Honestly I find Amazon reviews of things made in China to often be overly harsh, people seem to expect gold plated connectors for pennies and are disappointed when they are abusive to products and they break. These aren't complicated products, but the are made of plastic, treat them as such and they seem to work, at least that had been my experience.

Here is my set up
uploadfromtaptalk1407887712869.jpg
Then I have an sae connector tucked away in the frunk that I pull your in the winter when I plug in the battery tender.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I believe in keeping it simple. I have one of these- NOT pink
Pink Universal USB Car Charger Adapter Cell Phone MP3 Player | eBay
plugged into one of these- in the frunk - I added an inline 10 amp fuse
Waterproof 12V Motorcycle Cell Phone USB Charger Power Adapter Socket for Honda | eBay
I just unplug it when not in use (well, to be honest, I leave it in always because I always ride)
I used my sae plug from my Battery Tender (which is defunct) and mounted it as previously suggested. I ran it down through the body to right above where the clutch cable is on the engine. It tucks away easily

That's the same set up I use, and it's worked really well. I have the cigarette power outlet (F) directly wired to the battery in the frunk. Most of the time, I plug in the two-usb port adapter and power my MP3/GPS. I drilled a small hole in the frunk to get the wiring in and out without closing it in the lid.

I could just as easily take out the two usb adapter and plug in the air pump when I have a flat. The ON/OFF switch is simply rememberin gto remove the usb cable from the GPS/MP3 outside the frunk. The cigarette outlet with two usb ports doesn't drain the battery all by itself. The whole thing tucks behind the big rubber band in the frunk... (the one meant to hold the tool kit USA buyers never got).

The new adapter looks interesting because it has the on/off switch, but it will have to mount somewhere as inconspicuous as what I have now... That part remains to be seen.
It may go into the box I have of cheap, unused, farkles.

I could use the same set up to power a smart phone, but I'd have to buy a smart phone first.

Last edited:
Back