• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tutoro Oiler

Fuzzy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have spent many years of my career responsible for maintenance in sawmills and pulp mills. I know that the more frequently I oil a chain the longer it lasts. The ultimate is oil bath, but those must be sealed to keep dirt out, a tough challenge around motorcycle sprockets. If you oil your chain every 200 miles when you gas up, how many miles until the pressure between roller and sprocket tooth has moved the oil aside? It needs frequent reapplication.

The UK forum has multiple threads on automatic oilers. Riders report 40,000+ miles on chains with automatic oiling. The Scott Oiler has been the long term standard for automatic oiling, but requires wiring and will lose program if power disconnected to it. More recently the Tutoro Oiler has been building a long list of satisfied customers. As an engineer I am also attracted to its elegant simplicity. It has a weight that seals the bottom of the reservoir. When the bike is moving the weight moves allowing oil past into the delivery tube. A needle valve controls the rate of flow into the tube. Running engine with bike sitting still does not move weight enough to let oil into delivery tube. Recommendation is to start at 1 drip per minute. Proper amount keeps the chain oiled without over oiling throwing oil on the bike or dripping when stopped.

My first install was total failure. Put it high on SW Motec side rack. 1st 10 miles riding something hit it cracking the acrylic reservoir. Contacted Tutoro and for cost of shipping they sent me a complete new oiler. Awesome customer service as failure not their fault.

Installed replacement yesterday. Wised up and copied location seen on UK forum. Slightly to front of frame makes filling easy but too close to passenger foot peg if I ever carry a passenger. I bought a clamp to fit frame rather than cable ties that came with it.

Now what you really want....PICTURES!

Mounting location.
photo-2.jpeg

Drip tube. Wire inside to hold position. I put dripping on chain barrel rather than side of sprocket as recommended. Dirty because it sat there empty for 3000 miles before I received replacement oiler assembly. I will clean chain today to give it a fresh start.
photo-3.jpeg

WRONG LOACTION!!! Note cracks in empty acrylic reservoir.
photo%255B1%255D.JPG

Last edited:
Cool idea, what does it use for oil? I lube my chain every other fill-up. I think the owners manual says every 500km, so I think I'm in that ballpark.

Of course they also sell oil, but did not bother to get it shipped from across the pond. They recommend gear oil to stand up to high pressure, but then warn of being to thick to flow unless weather is warm. Cool being below 28C. I am trying multi-grade synthetic gear oil. Warm here now and synthetic will flow better when temperatures cool.

Here is link to their discussion on oil: What oil should I use?

Of course they also sell oil, but did not bother to get it shipped from across the pond. They recommend gear oil to stand up to high pressure, but then warn of being to thick to flow unless weather is warm. Cool being below 28C. I am trying multi-grade synthetic gear oil. Warm here now and synthetic will flow better when temperatures cool.

Here is link to their discussion on oil: What oil should I use?

For someone who rides a lot this is a great idea, and Fuzzy is a rider. I try to oil my chain first thing out in the morning when traveling. But some mornings I just skip the oiling because I have a case of the lazy.. This way the proper maintenance is done.8.jpg

SmileyJamaican.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^agree
Plus there is the fact the modern o-ring chain needs very little lube to keep it happy. One theory is just enough lube on the o-ring chain to keep the surface rust away is more than enough.
Excessive lube can attack dust and dirt making the perfect "grinding compound" for the chain and sprockets........and makes a mess on the back of the bike and luggage.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^agree
Plus there is the fact the modern o-ring chain needs very little lube to keep it happy. One theory is just enough lube on the o-ring chain to keep the surface rust away is more than enough.
Excessive lube can attack dust and dirt making the perfect "grinding compound" for the chain and sprockets........and makes a mess on the back of the bike and luggage.
Key is to adjust so it isn't too much. Temperature can change flow rate adding to challenge. Users report chain stays cleaner, less frequent adjustment needed, and chain / sprockets last much much longer. Simpy refill reservoir after 1500 miles. I understand concerns but users of Scott, PD and Tutoro automatic oilers are consistent in their praise for results.

I adjusted the flow to their specs, and have made only very minor changes. Everything stays relatively clean and I can detect no wear so far. It's really just remember to keep oil in the reservoir. I also installed one on my Blackbird. I don't put as many miles on it, but the strain on the chain is a bit heavier. ;) I am interested to monitor both for chain/sprocket life.

I lubed my chain ( and my wifes ) every other day on our 6,000 mile trip.Did not have to adjust either chain the whole trip or since!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still like my Loobman.. it's from Germany and I think it was about $35.... now shipping was a bit more...

Attachments

• smileythoughtful.jpg
    smileythoughtful.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 769
I used to use various chain lubes that always left a mess on the rear end of my bikes. Then I read an article in a motorcycle magazine where a rep from a chain manufacturer recommended using WD40 to lube the chain. It was explained that modern O-ring chains have grease sealed inside the roller where lubricant is required and the end user only need to keep the chain clean to stop debris from chewing up o-rings and coated so it doesn't rust. WD40 works very well for cleaning and because it's a water displacement (hence WD in it's name) it works to prevent rust.

My last chain drive bike, a 1997 CBR1100XX, still had the original chain on it with almost 40,000 miles on it when I sold it. All I ever used on this chain was WD40 and it wasn't even stretched to the limit when I sold the bike. Chain was lubed weekly or immediately when I stopped for the night if riding in rain.

I used to use various chain lubes that always left a mess on the rear end of my bikes. Then I read an article in a motorcycle magazine where a rep from a chain manufacturer recommended using WD40 to lube the chain. It was explained that modern O-ring chains have grease sealed inside the roller where lubricant is required and the end user only need to keep the chain clean to stop debris from chewing up o-rings and coated so it doesn't rust. WD40 works very well for cleaning and because it's a water displacement (hence WD in it's name) it works to prevent rust.

My last chain drive bike, a 1997 CBR1100XX, still had the original chain on it with almost 40,000 miles on it when I sold it. All I ever used on this chain was WD40 and it wasn't even stretched to the limit when I sold the bike. Chain was lubed weekly or immediately when I stopped for the night if riding in rain.

Get ready for the WD 40 on the chain discussion... LOL This has been a highly debated topic on here in the past.

Attachments

• smileyconfused.jpg
    smileyconfused.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 771
There are 100's of pages on this over on ADVrider and Stromtrooper !!.

I clean my chains with WD40 but lube them with honda blue chain lube..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I clean it with simple green and lube with Maxima Chain Wax or PJ1. The Chain Wax is not supposed to attract the dirt like some oils, but I guess if there is a constant flow from the oiler it would actual act as a cleaner as well.

WD40 would act as a cleaner, but I agree with Harald the new O ring chains are supposed to have the lubrication in the roller/pins and WD40 or a pressure cleaner can take that away. BUT if whatever is working for you stick with it!

Tutoro, have 2 of the auto ones. (NC700s and CB500s). "It does what it says on the tin". Plain, simple, easy to install and use.

Mo.;)

so is it good or no good (tutoro)?
Thinking about it..... OR should I just do the manuel process and clean it by hand.

I have a Tutoro Oiler on my bike, I already have two large bottle of chain lube.
but to thick to use on the Tutoro Oiler.
it took a while till I manage to thin it enough for it to work.
I've got mine mount on the rear footrest and tubes trailing under the swinging arm.

I also use a Tutoro on my NC. It is an excellent piece of kit. I am getting 7/800 kms at least, to a full reservoir of oil. I also have a Scottoiler on another of my bikes. It is also an excellent piece of kit. However I believe the Tutoro is better. It appears to have the ability to better meter the oil to the chain. Accordingly there is less mess than when using a Scottoiler. Their methods of activation are completely different, but the Tutoro while simpler, is more constant in operation. That is my experience.

Back