• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Trying to describe the NC

Cutter J. Duke

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had a lot of people looking at my NC as of late and asking what it was, I always replay with "It's a motorcycle, see two wheels", I love to see the reaction to that, it's everything from rolling of the eyes to the middle finger (a U.S. thing for our far flung members) some even think I'm serious. However I know what they are asking is what style of bike. I do love it when they follow up with "no, what KIND of motorcycle" so I can be a double smart ass and say "A Honda, see the big letters on the side, they say Honda". When I do get around to being over throughly tickling myself, I find it hard to explain to people the true intent and purpose of the NC. Now it has become obvious that there seems to be a common thread "Thread....Get it...Ok I'll stop" in the type of person that is drawn to the NC, shown by the inordinate common interests of the members of this forum. Yet all the different ways that the bike is being used and modified by the membership is what is so intriguing. It's much more diverse than I have seen on many other sites, and still the commonalities of the spirit of the membership has lead me to refering to the NC as the "Swiss Army Bike" an homage to the Knife that like this bike has so many uses (calm down Happy we know, Your Swiss, just relax its all good, the bike is from Japan though). So far people seem to glum on to the idea better when I use this term, I assume due to the obliqueness of the knife, everyone gets the idea of a motorcycle that always has a useful item for who ever is using it at the moment. So how do you describe the NC to your 'looky Lou's"?:p

I've had a lot of people looking at my NC as of late and asking what it was, I always replay with "It's a motorcycle, see two wheels", I love to see the reaction to that, it's everything from rolling of the eyes to the middle finger (a U.S. thing for our far flung members) some even think I'm serious. However I know what they are asking is what style of bike. I do love it when they follow up with "no, what KIND of motorcycle" so I can be a double smart ass and say "A Honda, see the big letters on the side, they say Honda". When I do get around to being over throughly tickling myself

Thats my sort of sense of humour but let's hope that it is always a case of after tickling yourself and never a case of "after wiping the blood off my nose" :)

"Adventure bike styled all-rounder. Pure road bike, no dirt, just styled like one." "First bike Honda designed for fuel efficiency instead of peak power output per displacement." Then I give some mpg figures. This usually suffices. If the asker is a knowledgeable well informed rider they have seem reviews of the bike in magazines or online. If not there is no need to go into further detail.

I've had a lot of people looking at my NC as of late and asking what it was...:p

I currently own and ride a Versys. I have the same issues trying to explain what it is because it does not fall into one category. I usually say (and this should work for the NC) that "the Versys is sport styled bike with upright seating position". I don't go into further details and that usually works.. As another said, if a follow up well informed question comes next, I cover the details they are asking about. I found that if you give too long of an answer, you get a blank stare and they think you are a weirdo.

I would say I go the same route, once you say adventure bike it usually confuses them... Then while their brains are rattling you either hit them with the awesome storage trunk or the mpg.. I got 62 mpg last tank, pisses my dad and his Ulysses off at 40 mpg lol. By the way got my nc last Friday so new here.. Nice to meet you guys.

Mine already has seen more dirt roads than most all NC's ever will without spending a dime on it but any street bike should be able to be ridden on hard pack unpaved roads but that isn't dirt bike territory. That's what I meant.

Mine already has seen more dirt roads than most all NC's ever will without spending a dime on it but any street bike should be able to be ridden on hard pack unpaved roads but that isn't dirt bike territory. That's what I meant.

Understand. Any bike can travel a gravel (or dirt road). I found the suspension mods necessary to take on forest service trails and poorly or unmaintained two-track "roads" with erosion channels and larger than gravel-sized rocks. Different tires would also expand the capabilities of the bike in the bad stuff.

The reason I make the distinction is that I think it can be a fine bike (with a little help) for camping in out-of-the-way places that for reasons of weight, ground clearance, or suspension travel limitations, I would not want to go on a "pure street bike". That is the main reason that I ventured here rather than to continue to attempt such travel on my overweight R1150R. Just my take.

I had this question over the weekend...I said its just a regular motorcycle. That took him a minute to digest... "You mean they make a motorcycle that doesn't look like a Harley?" Was his next question. I had to laugh at that one! (I think we may have alittle Cruiser over-saturation here in the US). Anyway, it was an interesting conversation especially when he glanced over at the numbers on the gas pump! $6.75 and I had a full tank. That got his attention!

That's how I see it - just a regular motorcycle. Not categorized, just a great ride that happens to save you a few bucks at the pump... Maybe that's alittle simplistic. Oh well, i never claimed to be a salesman. :)

"I've had a lot of people looking at my NC as of late and asking what it was, I always replay with "It's a motorcycle, see two wheels", I love to see the reaction to that, it's everything from rolling of the eyes to the middle finger (a U.S. thing for our far flung members) some even think I'm serious. However I know what they are asking is what style of bike. I do love it when they follow up with "no, what KIND of motorcycle" so I can be a double smart ass and say "A Honda, see the big letters on the side, they say Honda"

:confused:

i have found myself throwing out the urban commuter type thing, but a little more touring than a motard. i buy it.

So far I have had a zillion more people actually come up and talk about the bike, than my last one.

Of note, is that almost every single person that has come up to talk, has been aware of the model. "That's one of those [insert varying mish-mash of letter/number combos. lol] X things?" or: "I've read about these! These are so cool!"

Having just gotten rid of my BMW to get this bike, I have found it very interesting the different reactions between the two bikes. With my F800, you could see in people's eyes, they didn't know what the bike was at all, they would just admiringly say: "Nice BMW" or: "Nice bike! What is that, a belt drive?" kinda thing.

People who didn't know anything about bikes were more likely to say "Nice BMW" or my favourite: "BMW makes motorcycles?" but other motorcyclists, seemed rather diffident in their approaching or comments, more so just appearing a bit puzzled as to what it was, compared to other BMW's they were aware of.

With the NC700X, people who are evidently interested and know a little bit about bikes, are pretty specific with their "Ooh, is that the new..." and are quick to engage in conversation or stare for long periods of time, wanting to see the storage trunk etc. The non biking crowd tend to either ignore or simply do the: "Nice bike" in passing, thing.

I get the distinct impression of people being more friendly and unabashedly enthusiastic about the Honda, and much more reserved and "covert" in their admiring of the BMW. I'm probably not really getting into words the feeling I mean, but it's very noticeable to me, anyway.

When I took mine to the Finger Lakes BMW Rally, I could have charged F650 and F800 riders to sit on it. It had quite a line of lookers. Most had a tale of woe about their current ride.

I had an old Suzuki T500 and had a guy came up to me and.. nice bike mate what make is it. I never laugh so much.
it had SUZUKI the tank!!
half the time mouth in gear before the grey matter.

It's a maxi scooter. It has built in storage, low center of gravity, and is available with an automatic transmission.
It's an adventure bike. It looks tall, has a small windscreen, a pointy front end, and over 5 inches of suspension travel.
It's a beginner bike. It has 51 horsepower (or less depending on configuration), a twin cylinder engine, and non adjustable suspension except for rear preload.
It's an economy bike that gets fantastic mpg and has long recommended service intervals.
It's a sporty standard bike. It can be leaned well over in a turn without dragging any pegs or hard parts, it's very "flickable", feels very light weight due to the weight being carried low, and has a small seat.
To sum it up, mine is just like its owner. it's very confused and doesn't seem to know what it wants to be when it grows up.

I'm going with economy maxi scooter adventure touring multi purpose sport bike (that just happens to be a ton of fun to ride around).

Bob

So far, no one here has asked me about "What kind" of bike is that I am riding. They are too polite and too engrossed telling details about how they powerslided in that racing track, etc.

However if someone does ask me, I have this sort of answer ready in my mind.

This motorcycle is the latest secret formula engine made in Japan, first of its kind and runs on 50% of fuel while generating 200% torque and 300% fun as a "normal" 700cc motorcycle.
The motor does run out of steam (no high revs) due to its low rev-long stroke engine design (whatever that means, it sounds just like the right jargon to throw them off). Included in the package for such a low price are ABS, Linked Brakes and Albino-lights. What else can you ask from Honda?

Then I follow up with a big giant grin, and a smirk on my face when I look at their 30kchf bikes with full-racing trims and hard seats. I say, meet you at the top....and off I go....!
:p

"I've had a lot of people looking at my NC as of late and asking what it was, I always replay with "It's a motorcycle, see two wheels", I love to see the reaction to that, it's everything from rolling of the eyes to the middle finger (a U.S. thing for our far flung members) some even think I'm serious. However I know what they are asking is what style of bike. I do love it when they follow up with "no, what KIND of motorcycle" so I can be a double smart ass and say "A Honda, see the big letters on the side, they say Honda"

:confused:

Its is called the return of the "standard" and it is why it appealed to me. It reminds me of my friends old Radian but better.

Cyclewold Video Carousel Player

I think Cutter J. Duke nailed it. Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles.

1. light weight
2. great for a beginner, but also still fun for the experienced motorcyclist
3. decent extra stator power for those little "extras"
4. great gas mileage, which equates to decent tank range
5. touring capable with luggage options
6. back road capable
7. fuel injection means you can go from sea level to 14,000 feet without performance issues or changing jets
8. very little maintenance with long periods between general maintenance
9. built-in storage
10. cheap to buy, cheap to own
11. it's a Honda with Honda reliability

It's just an awesome platform with lot's of possibilities. Commuter, errand runner, grocery getter, weekend excursions, touring, back roads, twisties or just cruising around. Good times.

WGW

Back