• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Touring windshield (Performance vs. Cost benefits)

I just got the 22" version of the v-stream yesterday! I've run much of this bike's ~22k miles with the Honda Touring screen. This one definitely blocks more wind/air!

You and I are the same height and inseam. I was thinking of getting the size you got, but at the last minute got the larger one instead. Figured I could cut it down if I didn't like it(?). Anyway, congrats and update us again after a few thousand miles!

You are 5"11" with 32" inseam also .... do you see over the shield?

Last edited:
Yes, I see over it, but it's very high. I didn't really want that. I've grown accustomed to barely even noticing the windscreen in my view when riding (Honda Touring shield). However, the tall vstream doesn't actually interfere with my vie . I think I just need to get used to it.

I got the Madstad and am very happy with it. Had to exchange the 20" I originally ordered for an 18" but now it seems perfect. Bike seems much more stable on highway. And the bike motor seems louder, I can actually hear it now, so it must of reduced wind noise a lot.
I actually didnt mind the stock windscreen as I have never owned a bike with anything more then that but am now glad I upgraded.

What is your height and inseam? I'm 5'10 but with short torso and was thinking of the 20" ......

I've owned the puig, puig with vario deflector, vstream 22" touring , and now the vstream 15" sport.

The best is the vstream 15" sport for me. I still get wind on my up shoulders and head but not turbulant wind no more buffeting on my helmet .

With the puig the angle the screen sits at forces air directly at the eyes /forehead. Not good
Puig with vario deflector helped but still not great ( ended up breaking after 1000miles ) basically if your deflector adjustments are made of plastic stay away from it.(almost caused an accident).

Vstream 22" touring is a quality screen but I'm 5'10" so it was too tall and I didn't like the wobble from vibrations that would sekdom occur but annoying when it did.

IMG_20150801_105448191.jpg
IMG_20150624_053440740.jpg
IMG_20150711_161232678.jpg

I added a Laminar Lip Touring Speed Shield about 2 months ago. I've done a three hour trip in the rain, plus numerous other "legal plus five" tours and a back roads tour for about 5 days. That included some 70 mph in a 20 mph headwind.
Like most screens, it's a mixed blessing. I had a lip before on another sport bike, and I thought it worked very well, especially for the money.
The Speed shield does an excellent job of quieting the buffeting around my helmet - very smooth air flow in all wind conditions. It also gets rid of that cold blast to the middle of my chest on cold days, and I ride all year. It doesn't quiet things down as much as I'd like, but part of that is my cheap KJC helmet. I wear earplugs anyway.
The screen comes back past the mirrors - practically horizontal at the trailing edge. This makes for a great quiet pocket if you're willing to bend your arms, lean in and crouch a bit. I'm good for about half any hour of that. Sitting in the normal riding position, the blast is right into my 5' 9" face shield but as i said, there's no turbulence. One drawback to the long trailing edge; occasionally I bump into it while mounting and dismounting. It might also interfere with some rider's standup position, but I don't do much of that.
Some people don't like the dual-lock mounts, especially with this fairly large piece of plastic. I've never had any trouble with them. Frankly, I worry more about the well nuts, but things seem to be staying in place. If you mount one of these, definitely replace the well nuts with a new set (provided). They do wear out, and whenever they're removed they lose some of their tension because they don't go back in exactly the same place.
For about a hundred bucks I don't think it was a bad deal, but I'd sure like to have two inches more of quiet air above what it provides. And I admit, I think it's pretty ugly.

Last edited:
Back