• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tips, Tricks, Advice learned from experience

A Genuine Wal-Mart fix for the battery low problem can be purchased at any Wal-Mart you are near.

Schumacher Red Fuel - works great on a motorcycle. About the size of a cell phone, so packs easy. Bingo - fixes battery
problems when on road with no one's help. Also, charges Iphone and tablet. Especially made for us folks who leave our key on! A must have for DCT owners who can not push start their motorcycles.

View attachment 31812

I extracted this out of an old thread that's now closed.

Per OCR's advice I bought one of these Red Fuel battery packs a while back and I carry it on the bike. Today I thought I'd test it out, so I disconnected the battery in my car (1.6 liter 4 cylinder engine), with nothing hooked up but this tiny portable battery pack that almost fits in a shirt pocket. I turned the key and the car started right up. It made a believer out of me.

I actually got mine off eBay or Amazon for about $32 (US). I highly recommend carrying one of these in your frunk.

FOR THE LOVE OF THE NC! DON'T REMOVE THE NC750X STICKA! :rolleyes:

It's like taking its identity and soul man! :eek:

Last edited:
At the urging of friends, I did a number of track days after buying a CBR600F4. Although I went with the idea that there was no way I was going to be pushing the bike at the track, in my first day I discovered I could steer the bike with the rear tire. And while it was enjoyable to learn higher limits on the machine, my experience gave me knowledge of the bike's capabilities. These are incredible tools to have in daily riding, along with the sure knowledge that high-pace riding on the street is more dangerous and less rewarding than similar riding on the track. Also, take the time to read Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist II", an excellent manual to learn to let your machine and body do what they know to do, and provides an excellent commentary to understand the "survival instinct" that jeopardizes the proper operation of your machine. My advice: Get the to a track, whether or not you want to race! The NC will be a willing partner.

At what point do you begin to accelerate? Not a direct question, but kind of a general question for the group to see what folks think.

Team Oregon (motorcycle safety program ODOT sponsored) ART course will tell you to stay outside on the turn as long as possible with steady throttle at a speed/lean appropriate for the turn and your comfort level as a rider (typically more experienced adrenaline junkies...sorry...riders will take turns faster/more lean as they get more and more comfortable with the limits of the bike they are on) and accelerate once you can see your exit clearly.

The theory there being that until you see the exit of the turn your in, you have no idea what your speed should be coming out. Do you need to slow down even more for the next (sharper) turn, stay steady for entry into a similar curve but on the other side of the "S", enter into a nice sweeper or shoot out into a straight away. Bottom line acceleration out of the curve without knowing what's coming can lead to an unintended dismount.

Keep taking courses from your local MSF. Never hurts to go back and brush up on your skills and learn the latest.

I think that while we get a lot a riding practice in, we don't practice riding enough. Meaning that the scenarios that are reviewed and practiced at the courses are not the skills that we take the time to go out and practice ourselves in a safe MC environment (i.e. not the road). So it's a good chance to refresh and build that muscle memory so when you DO NEED it on the road it will seem like second nature and you can be calm and take action, not be tensed up and REACTING.

Action = good
Reacting = bad

If you are reacting you aren't in the right state of mind or scanning enough (situational awareness for us ex-military folks)

Team Oregon (motorcycle safety program ODOT sponsored) ART course will tell you to stay outside on the turn as long as possible with steady throttle at a speed/lean appropriate for the turn and your comfort level as a rider (typically more experienced adrenaline junkies...sorry...riders will take turns faster/more lean as they get more and more comfortable with the limits of the bike they are on) and accelerate once you can see your exit clearly.

The theory there being that until you see the exit of the turn your in, you have no idea what your speed should be coming out. Do you need to slow down even more for the next (sharper) turn, stay steady for entry into a similar curve but on the other side of the "S", enter into a nice sweeper or shoot out into a straight away. Bottom line acceleration out of the curve without knowing what's coming can lead to an unintended dismount.
That's a good habit even when you know the road. I've made myself nervous a couple times because I commute 58 miles (each way) of freeway, 4 days a week, I know every nook cranny and drop of that stretch of freeway. Thinking you know what's ahead can easily lead to you pushing it like your on a race track. But they clean race tracks after accidents and there is a eye in sky that can tell you about a fallen tree or some unlikely but possible danger ahead. Waiting until you actually know what's ahead before gunning it, is a good habit.

Last edited:
I understand one trainer says "accelerate as soon as you are done leaning," meaning once you are leaned over as far as you are going to lean. (NOT meaning when the bike is straight up.)

Last edited:
Had a reminder today.
Always make sure your neck is covered!!
A grain of sand/grit or even a gnat doesn't feel so good at hwy/fwy speeds.

I usually wear a very lightweight neck gator (poly tube) but couldn't find it when I went to take off this morning so had a few stingers on the road today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To each his/her own, but on any bike that weighs over 250 pounds, I ALWAYS sit on the bike and roll it forward off the center stand. This is to prevent dropping it away from me. That method has been 100% successful for 42 years.

I would also never have the side stand down. When a loaded bike rolls off the center stand and the suspension compresses, the side stand often touches down and then pitches the bike away from you, where you may not be able to catch it.

I accidentally left the sidestand down once on my last trip. When I came off the center stand, I almost went over when the sidestand hit the ground. I was also afraid I had bent the sidestand...

Use masking tape (aka painters tape) as a sun visor.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Commonly available in white, blue and green if you look around you may find it in your prefered colour. I found this 2" wide roll in black somewhere.

I do the same with black electrical tape. Two rows does it with some overlap towards the ends. And it's barely noticeable. It's held up well but I don't leave my helmet out in the sun ( except when riding of course).

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Use masking tape (aka painters tape) as a sun visor.
I’ve done this too, but with the tape at the bottom of the visor. I use it there for when the sun is rising or setting and is directly in your line of view. Quickly raising the visor up so the tape at the bottom blocks the sun has saved my butt many times.

Ray

Back