• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tips, Tricks, Advice learned from experience

Here is a interesting AT accident. No one hurt, but.................

[video=youtube_share;Kwq7m-9gHD4]https://youtu.be/Kwq7m-9gHD4[/video]

Having an AT I found this clip interesting. My initial suspicion was that this was down to the OEM tyres which are among the worst I have ever had on a bike. However my bad experiences were only with the rear tyre and mostly the front held up reasonably well. I played the clip over several times and I cannot see if he applied the front brake or not as the tail light was difficult to see. It appears however that the front let go and I am surprised at that, because in my experience the bike is quite good in the wet once the tyres are at operating temperature. There are suggestions on the site of too much speed but the cam can sometimes give a false impression of that. Putting a foot down at such speed was not a good idea and could have been painful. Anyone else got any ideas on this ?

Stop riding when your mind starts to wander.

I agree to a point, but I would go the opposite direction and speed up a little to get the mind focused back on the task to hand. I do occasionally find my mind wandering, but only when I relax too much on the bike, which fortunately is rarely. When I become aware of it I immediately have words with self and get back up to my normal speed which demands full attention.

I have only just discovered this thread and made a few contributions. I will shortly go back to the beginning and will enjoy working my way through it. I always enjoy such threads as I invariably learn something new from them or at least re-learn something I had forgotten !

It appears however that the front let go and I am surprised at that, because in my experience the bike is quite good in the wet once the tyres are at operating temperature. There are suggestions on the site of too much speed but the cam can sometimes give a false impression of that. Putting a foot down at such speed was not a good idea and could have been painful. Anyone else got any ideas on this ?
It's amazing what video can capture and if you play back at 1/2 speed,
you will notice there is a gash in the road about a meter long, where I
suspect the front lost traction and the handlebars folded on him.
A good reason to put on a steering damper, could have saved him a tipover.

The subject of controlling traction, what is available in different scenarios, is
or should be on everyone's mind whether they consider themselves proficient
or not. Isn't riding a motorcycle all about that?

It has taken me a long time to realize proper rear traction control techniques for off road riding.
What I learned over the past weekend, during ADV training is that most of the times,
less is more. Here's what I mean:
One of the highlights of the March Moto Madness event in Telico Plains, TN are the bike games.
The hill climb competition is my favorite as you can study/compare different wt. class bikes go up a steep, rocky hill
Invariably for the average rider, the tendency is to spin the rear wheel and hope something sticks and the bike moves up.
Tom Asher (who was the instructor) does it opposite (the right way), control the throttle by modulating the clutch, keep the rear from spinning.
Spinning rear wheel = loss of traction. This is more applicable for heavier bikes, but as you can see below, Tom practices what he preaches:

[video=youtube;xewjG1A_lSM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xewjG1A_lSM[/video]

Lots of flopping, flailing legs there. That's usually a sign of loss of control. To your point, though, it's looks like most riders are overpowering up the hill.

Lots of flopping, flailing legs there. That's usually a sign of loss of control. To your point, though, it's looks like most riders are overpowering up the hill.
+1
The male ego is stronger than whatever traction there is,
giving a handful does not help. Another tip for traction is
to air down on the rear.
Heck, next year, I may just post up what I preach, LOL
... it will be a very short video!:eek:

why i like Tubliss™ on my WR. i can air down to say THREE pounds if i wish. helps to go lower in the front tire too, so it doesn't wash out so easily when the hill is a little more challenging.

why i like Tubliss™ on my WR. i can air down to say THREE pounds if i wish. helps to go lower in the front tire too, so it doesn't wash out so easily when the hill is a little more challenging.

amen.
I hope they make a wider version to fit my 2.15"/ 4" rims, soon.

Motorcyclists: always blaming the cage drivers ; }

" We complain all the time about other people on the road trying to kill us, especially cars pulling into our paths. The VTTI study partially backs that up. Of the 99 crashes and near-crashes involving another vehicle, the three categories of other vehicles crossing the rider’s path add up to 19.

Here’s the surprise, however. What’s the most common scenario? Riders hitting (or nearly hitting) another vehicle from behind. There were 35 of those incidents."

"The study found that aggressive riding increased risk by a factor of 18 while inattention or lack of skill increased it by a factor of nine. Combine the two, and odds of an incident increased by 30."

I would like some tips/pointers on wind management at high speeds - what I mean by this is how the heck do I stay calm in strong / stiff crosswinds, this bike seems much more stable than my previous but still feel it quite a lot and I cannot concentrate riding!!! I need to upgrade windshield? My main worry is that the wind will blow me over but I don't think that can really happen that easily... ??? FYI - I am a new rider, not even a year experience so maybe with time this will change...

I would like some tips/pointers on wind management at high speeds - what I mean by this is how the heck do I stay calm in strong / stiff crosswinds, this bike seems much more stable than my previous but still feel it quite a lot and I cannot concentrate riding!!! I need to upgrade windshield? My main worry is that the wind will blow me over but I don't think that can really happen that easily... ??? FYI - I am a new rider, not even a year experience so maybe with time this will change...

Staying loose in the wind is better than tensing up. Sit forward on the seat so you have good leverage on the bars. Sort of in the same sense that you let the bike float below you on gravel, you can let the wind move you around a bit, but be alert for sudden changes. In time, your brain will adapt and correct for the wind subconsciously. However, you do need to read the landscape and prepare for changes of side winds. Watch for signs about the winds direction and speed in the grass and trees. Passing by a building, stand of trees, or a bridge abutment can quickly shift the wind, so you need to anticipate it. Also, give wider space to vehicles in the adjacent lane so that a wind gust won't sweep you into their path.

If I was to give one piece of advice: Don't tense up.

Last edited:
If I was to give one piece of advice: Don't tense up.

This. Some of it comes from familiarity with riding; experience. I started out not that long ago riding a naked (no windscreen) dualsport that weighs a lot less than the NC and is further up in the wind. At first a gusty, windy day at wide-open throttle sometimes seemed like some big deal. But relaxing physically and mentally (while remaining alert and making use of what you should have been getting from a MSF course),and a few more of such rides, and it became a lot more natural. Transferring over to the heavier, apparently lower-feeling NC made the same wind conditions seem like a lot less yet. Experience can be a great teacher.

Being that new of a rider, even slight winds are going to freak you out. The good thing is that the NC is an excellent beginner bike and has a low center of gravity compared to other adventure type bikes. The only thing that's really going to make you more comfortable in the wind is more experience riding overall and then experiences in the wind. It's not likely you're going to be blown over, but it's still a bit spooky nevertheless.

I rode across the plains last summer and was shocked at the wind out there... not even stormy... sunny and 90° and the constant winds as well as gusts were crazy. I learned a lot on that trip. But like I said, the NC is a good little bike and it took it like a champ.

Just try and get more experience overall and over time, you're nerves will ease up quite a bit.

Good luck/be safe.

One of the scariest wind issues when your new to riding is on very windy days on highways dealing with the 18 wheelers and the sudden wind blockages they create as you pass them or they pass you.
If the wind is so strong your riding leaning hard to the right or left into the wind, then the trailer of an 18 wheeler suddenly blocks that wind, you can find yourself diving right towards the side of that 18 wheeler. Or when you recover from that sudden wind blockage, and you pass that 18 wheeler, or it passes you, the sudden gust of wind that returns when it is no longer blocking that wind.
Steady winds are much easier to deal with than strong gusts.
I'll find a place to stop if it's constant very strong gusting winds as it's a constant fight to adjust your lean angle and stay in your lane.
That strong of wind gusts are rare though and you usually know they have been forecast. But, sometimes they can pop up, try waiting them out if you ever find yourself in that extreme condition and if you have a smart phone look up the weather forecast to see if it will soon pass as you wait.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One of the scariest wind issues when your new to riding is on very windy days on highways dealing with the 18 wheelers and the sudden wind blockages they create as you pass them or they pass you.
If the wind is so strong your riding leaning hard to the right or left into the wind, then the trailer of an 18 wheeler suddenly blocks that wind, you can find yourself diving right towards the side of that 18 wheeler. Or when you recover from that sudden wind blockage, and you pass that 18 wheeler, or it passes you, the sudden gust of wind that returns when it is no longer blocking that wind.
Steady winds are much easier to deal with than strong gusts.
I'll find a place to stop if it's constant very strong gusting winds as it's a constant fight to adjust your lean angle and stay in your lane.

I guess if it were a GOLDWING this wouldn't be the case as much???

Weight helps in wind, but it only helps so much. Bigger bikes come with their own drawbacks.
The best thing you can do is stay alert and aware of what is happening around you so you can spot potential issues and have a plan for dealing with them. Like noticing the 18 wheeler coming up behind you to pass, or the overpass that could block wind as you go under it for a second.
Always ride within your comfort zone, slow down and the wind threat usually decreases. If big trucks are causing issues exit and take back roads. Then you only deal with big trucks going the opposite way for a split second. But those high winds are rare so while dangerous not something to get too worked up about.
Just ride in your comfort zone.

Correct.

My Gold Wing 1800 was the most stable and serene motorcycle I've ever ridden on the highway or in windy conditions. Honda spent a lot of time and $$ when designing their flagship tourer, including wind management. Your post is interesting because just today, I rode my NC to work for the first time since about December. I forgot how much I get beat up by the wind on NC, especially on the highway :-(

I run with a 22" tall Vstream windscreen on my NC and it helps (obviously) with keeping the wind from blowing you off the motorcycle but I still get hammered from side to side with wind gusts. I live on the coast and the wind can blow pretty good around here. Not fun.

One thing you learn real quick on the highway with the NC is to get out of the wake of any large vehicle you are following ;-)

Last edited:
I like what everyone has said here. For me I had to go back to my riding fundamentals when I first experienced cross winds. The bike likes to go straight so I need to stay connected to the bike. I found that I needed to put more effort into gripping the bike with my knees, engage my core muscles to support my upper body and keep my arms/hands engaged yet loose so that I could make any steering corrections if required. I don't really think about it any more as this is how I ride all the time now. Experience and practice should get you through this :)

Use Peanut oil to remove stubborn stickers
1.jpg

Liberally spread on the sticker, let soak for a day or two or three. If you get any on your fingers use your tongue to clean them off.
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Better not remove this one, just cover it with black masking tape
5.jpg

Aluminum tape covers the dealers advertisement on that 'free' plate cover they gave you.
6.jpg

Some notices, brands and logo's can be left alone at your discretion
7.jpg

Speaking of removing stickers, that one with the emissions stuff on the rear frame tube was a toughy. I put the tire pressure sticker in the frunk lid. Other than the VIN label, the Honda wings, and the NC700X, I removed all the other stickers. The ones on the swing arm and chain guard were ugly. Looks much better now.

Back