• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

the dunlop tyre story

Contacted Honda to complain about the rear Dunlop wear rate a week ago and chaced them yesterday. They have agreed to replace front and rear tyres with the alternate tire Pirelli. My dealer will fit them at Hondas expense. Thanks for the information on the forum which encouraged me to peruse this.

Contacted Honda to complain about the rear Dunlop wear rate a week ago and chaced them yesterday. They have agreed to replace front and rear tyres with the alternate tire Pirelli. My dealer will fit them at Hondas expense. Thanks for the information on the forum which encouraged me to peruse this.

Awesome outcome!! Hoping for the same for me..

I'm still waiting for Honda to call me back after seven *working* days (phoned today, but they'd gone home) - thats 300miles in the car rather then on the bike...

...why did I buy a new Honda again? I should have saved myself money/hassle and bought a £1000 ducati - couldnt have been a worse ownership experiance and, at atlest, I'd expect it to be off the road for over a week

I'm still waiting for Honda to call me back after seven *working* days (phoned today, but they'd gone home) - thats 300miles in the car rather then on the bike...

...why did I buy a new Honda again? I should have saved myself money/hassle and bought a £1000 ducati - couldnt have been a worse ownership experiance and, at atlest, I'd expect it to be off the road for over a week

Puffin - didn't I tell you to contact by email the two main men at Honda UK? I was sorted with new tyres FOC within two weeks. If I didn't then let me know and I'll pass contact details.

Grafton-Honda MK

Thought I'd up-date those who are interested.

Honda-UK have agreed to replace the tyres with Pirelli's (result) after ten days of waiting (and having to commute in my car...). I was also told that the dealer (Grafton Honda in MK) should have phoned Honda-UK the day I took the bike in and it would have been sorted there and then rather then try and fob me off with excuses and tell me to go home and phone Honda myself.

So, armed with the OK from Honda-UK and having been assured Mr Stevens would call them to let them know I was going to be in touch, I called Graftons...

>I was cut-off druing the transfer with the first call.
>I then spoke to someone who said he would phone be back within five min' to confirm if the tyres were in stock.
>25min later I called back, for no one to answer
>I finally get through to the service dept', explained the situation and got told "no, it doesnt work like that. You will have to bring the bike in and I will have to take photos and contact Honda UK".

So, back on the phone to Honda-UK...

They then call Grafton-Honda (as phoning as a customer is pointless) to explain the situation and I get a call-back! I then get told that Grafton can not fit the new tyres until the 19th of June because they are "really busy".

The 19th of june

That means (as it stands) my three month old NC750x will have been off the road with a warrenty issue for 18 days of this month and I will have spent eight hours (as well as more on petrol) extra communting to/from work. When I explained this I was again told "that is all we can do".

So, as I am not on shift that day and they are a 50mile round trip away I asked them to collect it for me only be told they have no van and I should "phone the AA and see if they will transport it for you". The standard Grafton-Honda go away and fix it yourself attitude I have become use to.

The Honda ownership experiance is tip-top with Graftons-Honda and I get the feeling I have chosen the wrong brand to invest my money in.

Top-tip from my personal expeience (no matter how good a bike the NC750x is):

dont buy a Honda​

Last edited:
Thought I'd up-date those who are interested.

Honda-UK have agreed to replace the tyres with Pirelli's.

I was also told that the dealer (Grafton Honda in MK) should have phoned Honda-UK the day I took the bike in and it would have been sorted there and then rather then try and fob me off with excuses and tell me to go home and phone Honda myself.

So, armed with the OK from Honda-UK and having been assured Mr Stevens would call them to let them know I was going to be in touch, I called Graftons...

>I was cut-off druing the transfer with the first call.
>I then spoke to someone who said he would phone be back within five min' to confirm if the tyres were in stock.
>25min later I called back, for no one to answer
>I finally get through to the service dept', explained the situation and got told "no, it doesnt work like that. You will have to bring the bike in and I will have to take photos and contact Honda UK".

So, back on the phone to Honda-UK...

They then call Grafton-Honda (as phoning as a customer is pointless) to explain the situation and I get a call-back! I then get told that Grafton can not fit the new tyres until the 19th of June because they are "really busy".

So, as I am not on shift that day and they are a 50mile round trip away I asked them to collect it for me only be told they have no van and I should "phone the AA and see if they will transport it for you". The standard Grafton-Honda go away and fix it yourself attitude I have become use to.

The Honda ownership experiance is tip-top with Graftons-Honda and I get the feeling I have chosen the wrong brand to invest my money in.

Top-tip from my personal expeience (no matter how good a bike the NC750x is):

dont buy a Honda​

Honda agreed to replace your tires under warranty pretty much the instant you actually contacted them.

It was your prat of a dealership that dropped the ball and caused all this grief.

But then you end by saying: "The Honda ownership experience is tip-top with Graftons-Honda"

...but you feel you have chosen the wrong brand of bike to buy, and "top-tip don't get a Honda."

Ahroo? :confused:

I have no idea what you mean, but sorry for your grief nevertheless, mate. It's too bad your dealer and Dunlop are responsible for making Honda the brand, and the completely blameless NCX seem unworthy in your eyes. You will miss out on a hell of a great bike.

Grafton-Honda MK

Hi L.B.S,

I agree with you the NC750x is a cracking bike, my gripe is with the level of 'customer service' I have got from Graftons Honda.

Yes Honda-UK have agreed to replace the tyres (which is most welcome) but I had to wait 10 days for them to contact me about it (costing me time and money commuting to work) and that, in my mind, isnt 'pretty much the instant' I contacted them.

Unfortunatley for Honda, the Grafton dealership is the garage/dealer/supporter of Honda motorcycles in the area I live in, so they are representing Honda as a whole. Now, with this in mind and having Honda-UK contact them personally with the issue they still have been less use then a chocolate fireguard about getting the probelm fixed.

So, even with the weight of Honda-UK metaphorically behind my case, the issue still has not been resolved via my local Honda reprasenative. This why I feel disheartened, disrespected and unvalued by the Honda brand and why I will not be buying from Honda again, nor will I be recommending Honda to anyone that I know.

(this is not inculding the other issues I've had with them)

Last edited:
Puffin, I could see where you would not recommend the Grafton dealership ever again, but Mother Honda did you right. Its too bad you can't find another dealer to work with. I have 3 great dealers within 75 miles of the house and I sure wish you did too.

I got 5000km out of back tyre and it smooth. Front shown uneven wear on circumfrence and between left and right hand side. Replaced both with Bridgestone that give 15000km plus.
Dealer was no help and i have had to do all my own biding with Honda South Africa. After 3 weeks, now they say they will buy me new tyres. Not a happy and loyal honda customer

As at 24th June apparently Honda SA have put out a bulletin to all dealers to replace tyres if anyone complains and it done under 5000km. Tyres of your choice. Im still waiting for mine. Getting BT57

Last edited:
I got 5000km out of back tyre and it smooth. Front shown uneven wear on circumfrence and between left and right hand side. Replaced both with Bridgestone that give 15000km plus.
Dealer was no help and i have had to do all my own biding with Honda South Africa. After 3 weeks, now they say they will buy me new tyres. Not a happy and loyal honda customer

I have found that when you run into these kinds of problems is to call Honda customer service yourself. I do not know how it works in South Africa, but in the USA that will most times solve the problem. Also welcome to the forum.

Sooooo, I got the news from Honda SA today that the tyres will be replaced under warranty. They are not sure as to which tyre they will be replacing it with, but at least I now have an answer. Yipeee!!

Guys, I have not followed the thread closely but I have been having issues with the mid-range sporty Dunlops on my car which I relate to too relaxed quality control by the manufacturer (minor carcass hump under the thread from shoulder to shoulder for the pair I bought causing quite a bit of velocity related resonance vibration at my steering wheel whatever balancing I do and do and redo).
Other negative quality rumors here and there over the years and now looking at this thread I start to think that maybe Dunlop has trouble either tracking out of spec production runs or does not want to declare production bunches as QC "failed" for whatever of their business mentality reasons as long as it is not a deadly flaw (obviously Firestone must have been the king in that sector).
What do you think, particularly you UK guys? Do my thoughts have any ground or is it just a misconception of mine?
(Not implying that other manufacturers are angels but it looks to me that Dunlop related complaints accumulate over the years at a steady rhythm).

Glad you got it sorted - it's been a painful process for more than a few worldwide.

So my dealer finally informed me that my new tyres arrived. Honda SA replacing the Dunlop Cheesemax's wit Metzelers. Sure that will be much better.

Well see how long mine last. Has anyone in Canada had any luck getting reimbursed for prematurely worn Dunlop tires. If there was an error in the manufacture of the tires could safety be compromised? I normally put on 10-15,000 kilometers a year so these will be done for me in a couple of months. :mad:

I'm also looking for some Canadian links on this. Need to find some if it's out there. If anyone has some info or perhaps links to info on other forums. Us Canadians always seem to be the last to show up at the party (cept for special forces). Probably because there is not that many of us. My dealer cannot keep NC's on the floor and riding has not really started in interior BC so it looks like the bike is gaining interest. My rear Dunlop has 1200km on it and is 75% worn. I'm going to try a call to Honda.

Back