• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

the dunlop tyre story

It may be even simpler to explain the bad choice. The original 700X was criticised early on for not being truly off road capable, so when they rushed to make the 750 one of their marketing team might have pushed for off road tyres. Normally they'd test any major new component but in the rush they might just haven relied on "it's a Dunlop, the inventors of the pneumatic tyre, it must be OK". That's the sort of decision making process that leads to major recalls every now and again.

Last edited:
As promised by my dealer, 2 new Avon Storms (my choice) and a Honda main stand fitted, all for £245!

ded2919e5b4759d6d3327d76ff5fd163_zps2e26fa3e.jpg

01ce1410b5d9e0b55f4b6649b10c4e58_zpsbf39a9fd.jpg

No more riding on Dunlop Cheesemaxs for me.

Good result Jelly - I emailed Nick Campolucci yesterday (Head of Motorcycles for Honda UK). I'm hoping for a favourable result rom that.

As you may know from the UK forum, it's been a bit hit or miss with regards to FOC replacements.

Cheers (Southerner)

I don't believe that there's anything technically wrong with the Trailmax as a tyre.

It's simply not up to the job of performing as a road tyre should on the NC or any other road bike.

Trailmax - clue in the name.

Good tire. Many people on the forum use them. Might be a little slower in initial turn-in than the Z8s and a little bit more noise on the front but they have good grip, excelent in the rain, and generally last a long time. Can't go wrong with them.

My NC 750 XA DCt is only 1750 miles old abd 10 days old and the rear tyre is seriously worn.That's a weeks tour of ireland! If the bike is sold with 8000 mile services are you really expected to use 2 rear tyres in that time- on a low revving bike that's sold as ECONOMICAL!
The tyres on mine are Dunlop D609s.I get over 5000 miles out of my KTM 950 rear Scorpion-and that's got double the power!
KTm spec the Pirelli and after 47,000 miles ,mostly on those, i never had a problem.
I am talking to my dealer about changing the oil in the forks for a heavier grade , maybe a more sophisticated rear shock as as well
but Honda this isn't good enough!
thoughts fellow NC riders?

My NC 750 XA DCt is only 1750 miles old abd 10 days old and the rear tyre is seriously worn.

Yup, I've only covered 2700miles on my 750x and the rear Dunlop is shot - that is 2700miles of A road communting (50miles per shift).

I've spoken to Dunlop-UK and as they dont import the tyre themselves they will only look at it if it is refered by Honda. They guy at Dunlop, while not saying anything that would cost him his job, wasnt very complimentary about these tyres.

Ayway, I phoned the dealership that I got the bike from and got fed-up of waiting for a call back, so headed in (50mile round trip) a whole load of rubbish for my efforts, the likes of...

"you need a harder compound rear tyre" (yes, but, that doesnt alter the fact *this* one is shot at 2700miles)
"you do lots of motorway miles I see" (no, only done max of 40miles on a motorway)
"well, you ride the bike hard I can tell from the side of the tyre" (I get 70-75mpg out of it, so, no I dont & yes I lean round the bends - it is a motorbike after all)
"it is like the guys with the 'blades that kill a rear' every 1500miles" (Really? A NC750x is comprible to a frieblade when it comes to tyre-wear now?)

I did get a salesman to tell me he thought the bike had covered *at least* 4000miles by the state of the rear tyre. The up-shot is I've been advised by the dealership to take it up with Honda UK and go from there. Top-top customer service...

PS, has anyone seen how much one of these rubbish (being polite) tyres cost to replace? I was quoted £330!

£330?

WTF!?!?! That is £55 more then a pair of BT-023's.... Someone at Honda is having a bubble-bath!

Suffice to say, I'm not a happy Honda owner!

Honda UK are replacing my Dunlops with Pirelli Scorpion Trail - not ideal but should see a better wear rate than the Dunlops. I offered to pay the difference between the Pirellis and a decent road tyre but they were having none of it.

My NC 750 XA DCt is only 1750 miles old abd 10 days old and the rear tyre is seriously worn.That's a weeks tour of ireland! If the bike is sold with 8000 mile services are you really expected to use 2 rear tyres in that time- on a low revving bike that's sold as ECONOMICAL!
The tyres on mine are Dunlop D609s.I get over 5000 miles out of my KTM 950 rear Scorpion-and that's got double the power!
KTm spec the Pirelli and after 47,000 miles ,mostly on those, i never had a problem.
I am talking to my dealer about changing the oil in the forks for a heavier grade , maybe a more sophisticated rear shock as as well
but Honda this isn't good enough!
thoughts fellow NC riders?

Bazza - respond to me if you need assistance getting FOC tyres from Honda UK.

Yup, I've only covered 2700miles on my 750x and the rear Dunlop is shot - that is 2700miles of A road communting (50miles per shift).

I've spoken to Dunlop-UK and as they dont import the tyre themselves they will only look at it if it is refered by Honda. They guy at Dunlop, while not saying anything that would cost him his job, wasnt very complimentary about these tyres.

Ayway, I phoned the dealership that I got the bike from and got fed-up of waiting for a call back, so headed in (50mile round trip) a whole load of rubbish for my efforts, the likes of...

"you need a harder compound rear tyre" (yes, but, that doesnt alter the fact *this* one is shot at 2700miles)
"you do lots of motorway miles I see" (no, only done max of 40miles on a motorway)
"well, you ride the bike hard I can tell from the side of the tyre" (I get 70-75mpg out of it, so, no I dont & yes I lean round the bends - it is a motorbike after all)
"it is like the guys with the 'blades that kill a rear' every 1500miles" (Really? A NC750x is comprible to a frieblade when it comes to tyre-wear now?)

I did get a salesman to tell me he thought the bike had covered *at least* 4000miles by the state of the rear tyre. The up-shot is I've been advised by the dealership to take it up with Honda UK and go from there. Top-top customer service...

PS, has anyone seen how much one of these rubbish (being polite) tyres cost to replace? I was quoted £330!

£330?

WTF!?!?! That is £55 more then a pair of BT-023's.... Someone at Honda is having a bubble-bath!

Suffice to say, I'm not a happy Honda owner!

Puffin - respond to me if you need assistance getting FOC tyres from Honda UK.

I wish I could remember what kind of tires were on my Kawasaki a few years ago. I sold it with 11,000 miles on the tires , he rode it for another 3-4,000 and sold it on the same tires. Granted, at that point, the rear tire was about ready for some attention. I miss that bike. Change the oil, lube the chain and it rode happy every day.

I don't expect to get that far out of my stock battleaxes, but we'll see.

@ Puffin, you're dealer sucks!

Refer to my earlier post re discounted tyres from my dealer.

To be fair, I've spoken to the other semi-local dealer and thier attitude was just as bad. However, when I called the Triumph garage round the corner ref' new tyres I got a call back in under an hour (with an apology for the wait) then another 1/2hr later because they had to check availability...

Again, not a happy Honda owner

Back