• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Texting on Motorcycle Fatal

Maybe it is because I'm an old man but I just can't understand why riders travel interstates without a helmet. Nothing can ensure you'll survive a wreck when travelling at speeds of 70MPH but one thing is certain. If I wear any protective gear when riding on the interstate it will be a helmet. I rarely wear a helmet when riding in my small town. Max speed limit is 30MPH. I'll admit to that but I will not ride the interstate without a helmet. Just don't understand. I can't imagine how the family feels and if it happened to someone in my family I would likely not talk about it because it is pure stupidity. Having said that, I've done plenty of stupid stuff over the years.

Helmet ruins the image of the guy wearing flip flops, shorts and a tank top. ;)

BTW Sergeant, when you catch up to me we can talk about your being old.

in US there is stupid law about wearing seat belts but not about wearing helmets, ridiculous...

The whole point of the original post was the texting, not the helmet. Not having a helmet did not cause this guy to crash. Texting (distracted driving) is what caused the crash, which ultimately caused his death.

The whole point of the original post was the texting, not the helmet. Not having a helmet did not cause this guy to crash. Texting (distracted driving) is what caused the crash, which ultimately caused his death.

ok, I get it - you don't have helmet law in KY do you?

in US there is stupid law about wearing seat belts but not about wearing helmets, ridiculous...

Florida had one, then didn't, then had one and now doesn't.

Florida motorcycle fatality rate didn't change with or without helmets. If you check statistics it doesn't make much difference - statisticaly.

Sorry Deckyon. I agree with you but couldn't resist.

KY has no helmet law. I always wear a helmet. I don't text. Ever. Either in a car or especially on the bike. The point of the whole thread was about texting, not helmets. Not sure how helmets got brought in.

All statistics are flawed - they can be skewed any way the writer wants them to go. I have never heard of them flowing, though. Unless it is the rates at which water runs through pipes or dams.

The helmet gets brought into the conversation because there is the possibility, however small, it could have saved his life.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

High side at highway speeds, small.
I don't know, super moto guys go down doing 150+mph, get up, chase after their bikes and try racing again-ATGATT though, just not helmets. They may not be texting, but they are in communication with their pit crews. If you go down at interstate speeds, wearing a helmet and don't hit anything-good chance of survival-no helmet-small chance because head will hit the pavement and pop like a balloon-maybe internal but still popped. Back to the OP, no one should ever text while moving-walking, riding, driving, period-technology exists for cell phone companies to disable cell phones while movement is detected but then they wont unless pressured by Congress, then we have more of a Nanny state, which I disagree with.

I don't know, super moto guys go down doing 150+mph, get up, chase after their bikes and try racing again-ATGATT though, just not helmets. They may not be texting, but they are in communication with their pit crews. If you go down at interstate speeds, wearing a helmet and don't hit anything-good chance of survival-no helmet-small chance because head will hit the pavement and pop like a balloon-maybe internal but still popped. Back to the OP, no one should ever text while moving-walking, riding, driving, period-technology exists for cell phone companies to disable cell phones while movement is detected but then they wont unless pressured by Congress, then we have more of a Nanny state, which I disagree with.

It will never happen.

Cell phone companies have no motivation to do it.
Not everyone who is moving is driving, plenty of people are passengers, or ride buses, or trains, or even moving walkways at airports (though they could at least stand to one side so I can get past).

If cell phone companies did disable phones when they were moving, people would simply disable the GPS, or the accelerometers, or what ever else they need to to make their phones work all the time. I suppose they could break the hand off between cell towers, but that'd ruin a lot of people's calls when they are stationary too (most of us living in cities will jump cell towers a few times during a 10 minute call, it's how the cell system levels the load between towers)

Cell companies have no more obligation to ensure use their products responsibly than handgun manufacturers, or the draino company (sure you could drink their product, but it's not recommended, and it is actually unlawful to use their product in any way not specified on the label if you read the packaging, much like the cell phone, or the handgun).

I'd say we could require licensure for cell phones, but given that we already require licensure for automobiles and motorcycles and that is where the problem is I don't expect much to change there...

Solution is simple... if your in the car with some one who is trying to text, slap the phone out of their hand, and tell them that if they try to kill you again you are going to call the cops!

We might be overlooking the largest lesson from this accident. He didn't crash because he was texting. He ran off the road because he was texting. He crashed because he didn't properly handle the edge trap when he tried to return to the road. Maybe he then died because he did not have protective gear. Who knows unless they examined his injuries? This is very common with bikes, but also four wheeled vehicles. My daughter crashed her new Honda Accord when she ran off the right edge of the road and over-corrected going completely across the road and into the ditch on the other side. Happily there was not an oncoming car to hit.

The lesson is: if you run off the road for whatever reason, stay off the road and bring the vehicle to a controlled stop. Obviously the advice does not apply if there is a concrete wall, a culvert, or a parked truck ahead of you. But generally it is good advice. The panic reaction to return to the roadway as quickly as possible is not the thinking reaction and often not the correct reaction. Most of us do not text and ride. Most of us wear helmets and hopefully full protection. However, all of us are at risk of running off the roadway at some point. Possibilities include: inattentiveness; riding when too tired; extreme avoidance maneuvers; etc.

We need better role models though...

cop texting 2.jpg
copp text 1.jpg

Last edited:
Two fatalities in my town this year, both wearing helmets, both on roads I frequent. One had been drinking and crossed the center line on a back road. Paper said his chest was crushed and neck broken. Other last week T-boned a car that pulled out in front of him. Died next day in hospital. No details of injury in paper. Car driver charged with homicide.

Back